Boot ?'s to match new skis for intermediate woman skier.

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Boot ?'s to match new skis for intermediate woman skier.

Postby gsboye » Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:59 am

Just bought new Atomic B9 , 158mm skis for my wife and am looking for boots. We ski midwest hills w/1/2 trips out west. Cruiser type skier, intermeditae level looking for a little more performance.

Thanks in advance for any advice :) :!:
gsboye

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:08 am

Get the boots that fit her best. No recommendation on brand, model etc. It's all about fit!

Postby WTFH » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:11 am

Sorry, that was me - I thought I was still logged in!
I ski for the fun of it.
WTFH

Postby john heath » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:14 am

what do you call fit? don't mistake fit for comfort. there are loads of posts on boots on this forum. also read harald's article on the role of the ankle.
if you aren't familiar with the idea of a lateral and a rotary boot, make sure have a look round the site unitl you are.
and if you ski a lot, it would be well worth getting fitted by harb people. it makes a hell of a difference to your skiing.
john heath

boots and fit

Postby midwif 2398 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:30 am

Yes, boot fit is a very different from trying on a pair of boots in a ski shop that feel "comfy". I have narrow feet and every pair of boots I bought would 'pack down' quickly with the result of my foot swimming around in it. I did what I thought was research by reading reviews in the different ski magazines. (prior to discovering this site) Thought for sure I had found the right boot with Lange. I had all kind of doodads added as time went on to improve the fit.

Little did I know I had a rotary boot. I am SO GLAD I went to HH camp this past January. Got Head boots. Got the boot fitting by their experts. Was able to have them tweaked by Diana after camp each day to get the best fit for me. I am an intermediate skier who wants to be more adventuresome. THese boots were the first thing in a long while to make that possible. I strongly suggest you look at HH recommended fitters and some of the ones on Realskiers. A real boot fitting should take 1-2 hours from what I saw. Try to arrange your time so you get the boots/fitting, are able to ski and come back each day for any needed tweaking.
midwif 2398

you can get it right or pay for it every time you ski

Postby Harald » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:53 pm

Please read the thread about footbeds (flexible or hard) and then decide about your boot fitting. The advice given here by the members of the PMTS forum is very good. There is a huge difference between the slam dunk fit and the realized fit based on years of on snow experience, pulled into the mix. Skiing with the new boots during a Harb Ski Systems camp of course is the best method available, as we work with folks everyday on snow and indoors to take care of any details that need attention. Nothing is more miserable than running from one ski shop to the other while on a ski vacation because your boots hurt and you bought them at some ski shop thousands of miles away. We have many clients who have gone through that experience. If you get your boots at the beginning of a ski camp and work with the fitters everyday on snow for a week, you are guaranteed the fit you want. Sometimes there are no easy answers, but the alternatives with a bad fit are devastating.
"Maximum Skiing information, Minimum BS
Harald

Return to Gear