Replacement for Peak 84

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Replacement for Peak 84

Postby marsound » Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:01 pm

I need to replace a pair of 170cm Peak 84's, and since I can't demo the two skis I'm considering - Blossom AM77 and Kastle MX 83 - I"m hoping to get advice/opinions on which pair would be a closer match to the Peaks/the better ski for soft snow days when wider skis aren't needed, but having a little more width vs a slalom rec carver (Icon TT) makes things a bit less work.

Right now, I can get the Kastle's in a 168cm length with PRD 12 bindings mounted for around $650, the Blossoms (170cm) would be over $1k...

About me: good PMTS skills (several camps) and ski all over the mountain in Tahoe (Kirkwood.Heavenly).

Thanks in advance.
marsound

Re: Replacement for Peak 84

Postby jbotti » Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:20 pm

I do not like the AM 77 nearly as much as the the old White Out. They softened the tips some and I think for good PMTS skiers is not as good a ski. The MX 83 is really nice, rewards PMTS movements, is quite versatile (on piste and off) and the price is excellent for that ski.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby marsound » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:16 pm

Thanks, that's great info. I assumed the AM77 was the Whiteout other than name and graphics.
marsound

Postby HeluvaSkier » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:43 pm

jbotti wrote:I do not like the AM 77 nearly as much as the the old White Out. They softened the tips some and I think for good PMTS skiers is not as good a ski. The MX 83 is really nice, rewards PMTS movements, is quite versatile (on piste and off) and the price is excellent for that ski.

Skied the MX83 the other day and agree with JB... really nice, fun, and surprisingly lively ski, and not too aggressive. I skied a 182. I think I'd personally still opt for the 182 AM77 over that ski because I actually really like that shape and flex of the Blossom (despite being a touch softer than the old WO). Keep in mind JB is a lot bigger than I am. If you're in the market for a pair, my local shop, Mud Sweat and Gears (Ski Yard online), has a pile of these skis and the MX88 in stock right now ...all with bindings (think they bought a pallet of them).
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby marsound » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:48 pm

Thanks, HeluvaSkier, that's a good deal, and I have a choice between 168 and 175 (replacing a 170 Peak 84); not sure which to go with. Seems the 168 would be closer in TR... (why does Kastle go with oddball sizes?)

They also have great deals on Head Supershapes, but unfortunately sold out of the e-speed in a 170 - they do have the e-magnum for a great price. (My Icons are going need replacing soon...)

Any experience with that ski?
marsound

Postby HeluvaSkier » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:03 pm

I haven't skied the Magnum in years (think the last pair I skied was jbotti's a number of years ago). I think ski has changed a lot. JB may have more recent experience.

With the Kastle, I'd err on the long side. I say that because the 182 was so playful and easy to ski... I could imagine it being not so stable in shorter lengths. Granted I ski fast and aggressively usually, but I don't think anyone appreciates a twitchy ski in 3D snow... which is the place you'd be skiing that ski. If you have a strong BPST, 175 should be fine.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby jbotti » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:12 pm

I had a pair of magnums from easily ten years ago, I liked the ski. I skied one from 5-6 years ago and I did not like it. But this was still an i-magnum. I have not skied the e-magnums.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Return to Gear