Dynastar Speed Zone 14, too much for an intermediate skier?

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Dynastar Speed Zone 14, too much for an intermediate skier?

Postby rjb » Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:43 am

Would Dynastar Speed Zone 14 Pro with R22 plate be too much of a ski for an intermediate skier? I currently ski very old Fisher RX8. They started to fall apart so it is time to change.

I am 5'9" (182cm) and 187lbs (85kg). The Speed Zone 14 are only available in 166cm length, however for a very good price (brand new, stock clearance), US$470 with SPX 12 Rockerflex Bindings. Alternatively I could get Dynastar Speed Zone 12 Ti in 174cm with Look binding, but they cost twice as much (brand new, private seller).

Also, just noticed that Ski Head Supershape i.Speed Sw2 (2018) + bindings Prd 12 Brake 85 in 170cm are local available, so that is an options (priced at US$600). Alternatively, some second hand Elan Race SLX 170cm (118/66/104mm) with Elan EXP 12 Bindings really cheap.
rjb

Re: Dynastar Speed Zone 14, too much for an intermediate ski

Postby jbotti » Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:44 am

I’m probably the wrong guy to respond because I have never skied the Speedzone 14 or 12. I have skied the 16 which is definitely not an intermediate ski. But I know how Harald picks skis and I don’t think you will have any issue as an intermediate on a the 12, 14 or Head SS I.speeds (which is personal favorite of mine. I think the 166 length is fine for now. As you advance the longer length may be preferable, but until you start bending the ski and getting a higher level of performance out of it, the shorter length is fine.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Re: Dynastar Speed Zone 14, too much for an intermediate ski

Postby h.harb » Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:12 am

Dynastar no longer makes the skis we liked in the Speed Zone series. As these companies no longer bring the skis to the onsnow testing we don't know what the new models from Dynastar ski like. That being the case we have found a substitute in the Head ski line. If you want an easy-carving ski the eOriginal Supershape is great. If you want more performance: meaning, "putting energy in and getting more energy out," the Head eRace is a great ski.
h.harb

Return to Gear