Review: Parlor Warbird 178cm

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Review: Parlor Warbird 178cm

Postby jbotti » Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:10 pm

I was able to ski the Parlor Warbird 178cm length for 2 days at my home mountain. This is one of Parlor's semi custom skis. I'll put it in the all mountain carver category, where the old IM 78 was the gold standard, replaced by the Blossom White Out as the current gold standard (and there are several reviews and additional commentary on them on this forum). Parlor is an indy ski company in Mass. When I think of indy ski cos I think poor construction, park and pipe stuff and heavily rockered powder and all mountain skis. Most look like they were produced in a garage and in fact some actually are. Parlor is a different breed of indy ski co. I had then make me a Head RNR copy, it is a great ski. But I for sure didn't think they could make skis that arc great and that are awesome carvers. Oh my god, does the Warbird absolutely rock!! The stated TR on the 178cm ski is 16m. I was arcing tighter turns that I can on my Head SS i.speeds, which have a stated TR of 14m. Edge hold on these skis was other worldly, perhaps the best edge hold that I have ever felt on a ski. They were massively confidence inspiring. then I took the off piste and I was pretty blown away because they are not that stiff and had a nice flex for the chop, crud, and wind buff that I was skiing. The skis are super nimble and felt much thinner than the 78mm waist. I do not ski on the east coast but I think these would be the skis to get for a little wider ski to handle some fresh snow on the east coast but still be able to slay ice later in the day. Again edge hold is other worldly. I had mine at 1 degree base and 2 degree side. If you were skiing Killington with these at .7 or .5 base and 3 degree side, I think they would be unreal or as many on the east coast say fugeddaboudit!

My experience skiing these was very similar to my experience skiing the White Outs for the first time. I was totally blown away. These arc tighter turns and have better edge hold than the WOs. I would like to to a side by side test with the White Outs but mine have 50-60 days on then so it would not be a fair test. Would need a new White Out and a new Warbird. HH is coming out to ski with me in about 2 weeks and I will get him on them and report back.

I had moved the bindings forward from recommended mount point by 2cm. When brushing on groomed terrain sometimes the tails wanted to hook up half way into the arc. I think moving the bindings back to the recommended mount point will give me less tail and that this issue will go away. I did not notice this at all when I was skiing off piste.

For those that live and or ski on the east coast I highly recommend that you check out Parlor and contact them and see when they might be doing some demo days. I have only been on 2 pairs but both of them are amazing, and the Warbird is beyond amazing!

Here is a link to the Warbird:
https://parlorskis.com/collections/semi ... emi-custom
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Re: Review: Parlor Warbird 178cm

Postby KJL » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:40 pm

Thanks for this wonderful review.

Being from Boston, I’d love to find a rationale to get a Parlor ski!

I’m 5’11” 210 lbs and am happy on a 170 cm e-Original, but have been deciding on a ~15m somewhat fatter ski (for softer snow) with similar flex/strength characteristics.

Specifically, because of my small Massachusetts mountain, I have been unwilling to wield my Kastle MX 78 which even at 169 cm is still a stiff speed demon.

I’ve been eyeing the Warbird as the way. Would you happen to have any idea whether a longer length would be more suitable for my weight?
KJL

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:35 am

Damn Jbotti, you have done it again…gonna and added another ski to my shortlist…..now that I have scratched new Blossom AM77 off my list - this has to be at the top…

I have yet to completely kill off my Rev 80 pro’s - but even these are proving impossible to find..
go_large_or_go_home

Postby jbotti » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:11 pm

KJL is you are skiing the e-original SS in a 170 I would think that the 178cm Warbird would be plenty of ski for you. Part of the beauty of this ski is the tight TR which you start to lose as you go up in length.
jbotti

Postby KJL » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:41 pm

When you say "start to lose [TR] as you go up in length", do you mean when flexed on edge?

AFAIK both the 178 and 185cm models have the same 16m turn radius — at least on paper. It doesn't actually make sense given the tip/waist/tail have the same specs, though ....

Regardless: I passed up on the 185cm model recently, barely used. I won't let that happen again.

Thanks again.
KJL

Postby jbotti » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:41 am

No I just meant the TR gets wider as you go longer. I then also noticed that the 185 has the same 16m TR as the 178 and also has the exact same dimensions which makes zero sense.
jbotti

Postby Jjmdane » Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:11 pm

What bindings and plate, if any, are you using with the Parlor’s?
Jjmdane

Postby jbotti » Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:15 pm

Head PRD Bindings with the Head PRD plate.
jbotti

Return to Gear