Review: Parlor RNR and Peak 88

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Review: Parlor RNR and Peak 88

Postby jbotti » Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:46 pm

I have had a chance to ski a few days on two new skis. The first is the Peak 88 which is from Bode Millers ski brand. I was skiing the 184 length mounted with head PRD's and I skied them right on the line (which felt right). The 184 is 90mm underfoot and its unclear if it has a stated turn radius. I have heard 19 and I have heard 24 and Bode says a variety different things about the "Keyhole Technology" which he says gives a great ability to vary turn shape and radius. I have no idea what that technology does or doesn't do, but these are really nice skis. Flex is in between the MX 88 and the Head RNR. It arcs beautifully and I could bend it down to around a 16-17 TR and could certainly arc turns as tight as my MX 88s. But even though the flex is on the friendlier side, this ski is super stable and almost tank like through crud and chop. Some of this is likely due to the longer length (its about 1.5 inches longer than my MX88s. Its was also plenty nimble when I need to cut quick turns. Maybe not as nimble as the MX 88 but certainly as nimble as the Head RNR (which is 5mm wider under foot). As with my MX88s and the Head RNR, this is a ski I can ski all day in fresh snow or semi fresh snow conditions and just have a blast all day. You give up nothing on groomed runs (edge hold and stability is fantastic) and it will bend nicely into a friendly turn radius. Really nice skis! I am looking forward to taking them out in 8-10" of fresh where I think they will absolutely come alive (but the weather has yet to cooperate). This is basically a full camber ski with some marketing rocker in the tips (minimal) and the tail is just like the tails on the Liberty skis I reviewed here and its a great tail. Very stable but also friendly and not punishing.

The second ski is a ski I had Parlor Skis make me and its a direct copy of the Head RNR. I made mine 182s vs 180 on the RNRs and I chose the Liberty tail versus the twin tips with tiny rocker on the Head RNR (because I think its a better design and I don't jump and land backwards so I don't need a twin tip). When I first looked at the skis I thought that they were probably a miss. Parlor uses different sidewall materials and it looks different than what I'm used to, so that was my first thought. But once on snow, my first look impression was absolutely wrong. Mark Wallace at Parlor absolutely nailed the flex on the PRNR (which is what I call them). I sent him a pair of old RNRs so he could design his with the same flex. It's as forgiving, as nimble and as easy to ski as the original. This ski does have metal, so It's actually a little more solid feeling on groomers. Bends nicely, very similar TR to the Head but just slightly firmer on groomed terrain. The only difference that I can feel is that the Head RNR feels a little more buttery especially off-piste but I think from a performance perspective the skis ski almost exactly the same.

Parlor will make this ski for anyone that wants one and they will build it any length that one wants. I am going to continue to ski it to see if I can find a condition where they ski differently than the Head RNR, and I am in Montana for the next 10 days or so so I will ski them a lot and write some follow up notes.

Anyway, these are two skis designed for off piste use that reward PMTS movements, that have minimal rocker, full camber and will perform the way we expect in fresh snow conditions.

Having said all this I seem to be going skinnier off-piste. Mainly skied my SS i.Speeds the past two days as we haven't had much fresh snow and we have chalky, medium sized bumps and they proved to be easier to ski and more fun than anything fatter. But when the snow comes out, these both should be great skis. I will report back.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Re: Review: Parlor RNR and Peak 88

Postby jbotti » Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:12 pm

Skied both skis today in 8" of fresh and in spots it was easily knee deep from some wind loading. They are both wonderful PMTS off piste/pow skis. The Peak is uber stable but again not overly stiff at all, with a nice a friendly flex pattern. However, I seemed to ski straighter and faster on it. Visibility was quite poor today so after a few runs I went to the PRNRs. They have a slightly different feel than the Head RNRs but other than that one would be very hard pressed to tell the difference between the two skis. The ski virtually the same and are just awesome fresh snow skis. The Heads have a slightly more buttery feel and perhaps they are a touch more forgiving. Having said that the PRNR's are a little more stable at speed, arcing on groomers and going straight through chop. I might actually like them better, but we are splitting hairs. I am pumped because I have an RNR that I can replace whenever I want or need to.

I encourage anyone that has wanted one, still wants one, or needs a replacement for an old one to contact Parlor Skis.

https://parlorskis.com/

Just to be very clear, I have no vested interest in Parlor skis, I get nothing if someone orders a pair. I have been looking for a RNR replacement and they have just done a great job in copying the ski.

Hopefully I can get max 501 and Harald on them later this season.
jbotti

Re: Review: Parlor RNR and Peak 88

Postby jbotti » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:59 am

I was in Utah for 3 days skiing. We had a wet and heavy storm that dumped around 20" of snow, and the last 6" or so came in a little lighter with some colder temps. I am used to skiing Montana blower pow pretty much all the time. I can ski that easily and enjoyably with 78-95 underfoot skis even up to 2 feet of fresh (blossom white out, Kastle MX 88 and the Head RNR and Parlor RNR). I started the first day on the MX 88's. I could ski them fine but they definitely sank fairly deeply into the snow and I had to be super conscious of pulling my feet back and getting forward at the top of every arc or the tails might not want to come around. I also focused on skiing faster which helps keep the skis floating a little better. The next day I switched to the Parlor RNR's. Damn these skis handle everything! I do think in wetter, heavier snow, a wider ski does help. As well not having a flat tail makes things easier. The Parlor RNR has the same tail as the Liberty V line, which I think is a great tail. It looks almost flat but gives just enough forgiveness.

Anyway, here is another shout out to Parlor and to Mark Wallace who is making some pretty amazing boards.
jbotti

Return to Gear