Head SS eOriginal or eSpeed for PMTS Learner?

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Head SS eOriginal
100%
Head SS eSpeed
No votes
Something Else
No votes

Total votes : 2

Postby dtrick924 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:55 am

I just realized I've had my current skis for 10 years. Time to check if the bindings are still good and start looking at new skis.

I am a female skier, 42, 5'1, 165 lbs. I consider myself an intermediate recreational skier, skiing groomed blues and easy blacks in the East, 3-5 days a year. I am a slow tempo skier with generally short to medium radius turns and learned traditional technique skiing as a child. I have 10 seasons of PMTS learning using the books and videos plus 3 camps. Green/Blue (2014), Short Turn (2015), Blue/Dark Blue (2016). In 2018 I took 3 private lessons with Walter at Alpine Meadows. My SMIM is tipping.

My current skis are Head the Link at 160 cm. Geometry 122/70/105 TR:12 Harald recommended them as a great PMTS learning ski. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3432

I am looking for an easy flexing ski that is good for PMTS beginners/learners. Length: 155-160 cm, waist: 70 mm or less.

I read through these 2 threads: Head SS eOriginal viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5632 and eSpeed viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5771 but I'm still not sure which would be a better ski for me. Other recommendations for PMTS learning skis welcome.
dtrick924

Re: Head SS eOriginal or eSpeed for PMTS Learner?

Postby jbotti » Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:34 am

The Head Super Shapes, pretty much regardless of Vintage (the first ones were introduced in 2005 or 2006) are the best PMTS learning skis for beginner/intermediates on up. It also is a ski that black level PMTS skiers use and love because it has upper end performance characteristics (so you will never outgrow this ski). With your SMIM being tipping the SSs are the ideal ski because they have a super tight turn radius that will give you instant feedback when you tip.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby dtrick924 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:18 am

Jbotti, thanks for your reply. Nice to know that all the Head Super Shapes are good PMTS learning skis.
dtrick924

Postby Marc » Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:21 am

I think what jbotti meant was that the original SS is good regardless of year, not all Supershapes.
Marc

Postby jbotti » Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:06 am

Yes, to be clear, Head makes several different skis that have the Super Shape name attached to them. Currently that lists is the SS rally, The SS magnum, the SS Titan, the SS Speed and the eOriginal SS. The eOriginal refers to the original Head Super Shape which had no other word associated with it, and went by the name Head SS (a ski that is distinct from the Rally, Magnum, Speed and Titan). All vintages of the original Head SS and the current eOriginal SS are great PMTS learning skis. The head i.SS Speeds were also great PMTS learning skis.

Head consistently gets an F for the way they name skis, which almost seems designed to create massive confusion!
jbotti

Postby dtrick924 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:41 am

Marc, Jbotti thanks for the clarification. If I am understanding you correctly Head Super Shape = Head SS eOriginal.

Does the Head iSS Speed = Head SS eSpeed?

The names are so confusing. They just keep recycling Super Shape and adding new adjectives.
dtrick924

Postby tigernbr » Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:07 pm

As jbotti said, Head deserves an "F" for their naming system for skis. Here is a link to the Head web page listing the skis with the Supershape name. Currently, only the Supershape e-Original is good for PMTS. Don't confuse the SS e-Speed with the Supershape i.Speed ski. Those are 2 different skis. The Supershape i.Speed ski is a good PMTS ski but I don't think Head makes that one anymore.

https://www.head.com/en_US/sports/ski/supershape

To bottom line it for you, if you are wanting to buy a new pair of PMTS skis, buy the Head Supershape e-Original.
Last edited by tigernbr on Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tigernbr

Postby jbotti » Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:23 pm

tigernbr wrote:
To bottom line it for you, if you are wanting to buy a new pair of PMTS skis, buy the Head Superspeed e-Original.

Yes, well said!
jbotti

Postby dtrick924 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:43 am

jbotti wrote:
tigernbr wrote:
To bottom line it for you, if you are wanting to buy a new pair of PMTS skis, buy the Head Superspeed e-Original.

Yes, well said!
tigernbr wrote:As jbotti said, Head deserves an "F" for their naming system for skis. Here is a link to the Head web page listing the skis with the Supershape name. Currently, only the Supershape e-Original is good for PMTS. Don't confuse the SS e-Speed with the Supershape i.Speed ski. Those are 2 different skis. The Supershape i.Speed ski is a good PMTS ski but I don't think Head makes that one anymore.

https://www.head.com/en_US/sports/ski/supershape

Thanks. I've been poking around the second hand market but haven't had any luck finding a ski for my height.
dtrick924

Postby tigernbr » Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:35 pm

You might have trouble finding the Supershape e-Original on the secondary market right now. It just came out last year so there probably aren't many used ones for sale just yet. You might get lucky with the Supershape i.Speed ski though. What length are you looking for?
tigernbr

Postby HeluvaSkier » Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:00 pm

I imagine HSS must have them in stock? I know they occasionally sell off their demos as well... which are always amazingly well maintained. I doubt you will see many of these in the used marketplace as most buyers of this ski, use them until they are dead... Plus there aren't many to begin with.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby dtrick924 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:02 am

tigernbr wrote:You might have trouble finding the Supershape e-Original on the secondary market right now. It just came out last year so there probably aren't many used ones for sale just yet. You might get lucky with the Supershape i.Speed ski though. What length are you looking for?

156 cm

HeluvaSkier wrote:I imagine HSS must have them in stock? I know they occasionally sell off their demos as well... which are always amazingly well maintained. I doubt you will see many of these in the used marketplace as most buyers of this ski, use them until they are dead... Plus there aren't many to begin with.

Good idea. I planned to call the shop if I couldn't find anything on the second hand market.
dtrick924

Postby dtrick924 » Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:06 am

I e-mailed HSS and Diana suggested the Head SS eMagum at 149 cm. That is the ski that HSS brings in for their customers who are 5'3" or less.
dtrick924

Postby tigernbr » Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:38 am

dtrick924 wrote:I e-mailed HSS and Diana suggested the Head SS eMagum at 149 cm. That is the ski that HSS brings in for their customers who are 5'3" or less.

Great! They are always super helpful at HSS. They do an outstanding job at boot fitting too. I got a new pair last season and love them.
tigernbr

Postby njdiver85 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:24 pm

I'm a 5'2" male 145lbs, and I've been very happy with my eOriginals (purchased from HSS) for the last two seasons. Looks like you have your ski picked out, but if you are ever in Southern Vermont once the season begins, you're more than welcome to try mine.
njdiver85

Next

Return to Gear