Love my new boots but...

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Love my new boots but...

Postby spinbackwards » Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:19 pm

Howdy,

Has it really been 24 years?!

Well, I still have all my parts. I still live in Eagle. Still love the Beav and Highlands. Still crazy in love with making turns! Not much hair left and even less sense. But according to me, I'm making the best turns ever. I owe that to being whole food plant based for the last 7 years and never listening to ski tips from anyone else but this crew. Well there is Jonesy, who taught me to look two turns ahead with my hands but that's for another day.

I have 6 pair of skis but only ever ski on 3 - e-Original most days (OMG. I love this ski, I have another pair in plastic -- thanks gang!), Blossom White Out (what a great ski -- thanks gang!) for powder days, Peak 84 (I bought 3 pair way back wen. I'm on my last pair!) if the Blossom's edges aren't sharp.

So.
My boots are the 130 RD. On my 3rd pair. Put some new Head liners in 'em last year, Diana moved the buckles back, a little thicker sock and voila - just like new!

But knowing that one day I'll need new boots, under the firm belief that I'm gonna ski like I do now for years, burned out on cold feet and wondering if I'll get my boots off without having to ask a young person to help me, I bought a pair of WCR4's. White boots fam! Diana set 'em up, they're great. They're warmer, easier to get off.

Only problem is, as y'all know, they're not as snug up front in the toe box.

Mentally I'm still getting used to the new feel of being able to wiggle my toes. Old habits and feels die hard. So I'm goin' to the Dumont Skunk Works (shout out John Mason, wherever you are) Thursday to have Diana see if she can take up more room. She's gonna put a shim in under the boot board to raise the toe area up. She's gonna do the Liquid Fit thing. Hopefully that takes the fit to a 130 feel. If not, oh well. I'll wear 'em when it's cold.

Or I'll take another swing. But looking on Head's site, the only boots with a 96 last are the 140s. I asked Diana about those. She said the heel area is wider then mine.

So what's the score? Is the 130 RD fit just days gone by, a thing of the past? Hey JB. What up?! You're a boot guy, you loved the 130 RD, yes? What are you skiing in? Are you getting that 130 fit?

Thanks man,
spinbackwards

Re: Love my new boots but...

Postby jbotti » Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:12 pm

I have a super thin. super low volume foot, so when I heard about the new Head R2 boot (2-3 years ago) and heard that they were much more voluminous than the old B2 that I was skiing, I searched to find another new B2 for sale (which I eventually found on a European site). The old B2 (before that the Raptor 150) is the perfect boot for me and I probably have 2-3 years left on my current pair and a new pair right behind them. The WCR line is a better and slightly lower volume version of the R line, but in talking with Diana about it, they still have a lot of instep room and the toe box is wider and longer than the old raptors. The WCRs are the thinnest that Head makes now and its a 95 last in the 27.5 size. But as you have found out, they are for different feet than those that find the old Raptor fit perfect. The liquid fit liner done well supposedly can do a lot so worth a try. But looking around on Ebay for some leftover B3s is probably a good move as well.

Glad your still making turns and hopefully enjoying life! I think I love skiing even more than years ago when we skied together.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby spinbackwards » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:37 am

jbotti wrote:I have a super thin. super low volume foot, so when I heard about the new Head R2 boot (2-3 years ago) and heard that they were much more voluminous than the old B2 that I was skiing, I searched to find another new B2 for sale (which I eventually found on a European site). The old B2 (before that the Raptor 150) is the perfect boot for me and I probably have 2-3 years left on my current pair and a new pair right behind them. The WCR line is a better and slightly lower volume version of the R line, but in talking with Diana about it, they still have a lot of instep room and the toe box is wider and longer than the old raptors. The WCRs are the thinnest that Head makes now and its a 95 last in the 27.5 size. But as you have found out, they are for different feet than those that find the old Raptor fit perfect. The liquid fit liner done well supposedly can do a lot so worth a try. But looking around on Ebay for some leftover B3s is probably a good move as well.

Glad your still making turns and hopefully enjoying life! I think I love skiing even more than years ago when we skied together.

Life is good, thanks. Ditto.
And thanks for the work you've put in here. I owe the Blossom's and e-Original score to y'all. This is a great resource for the few of us out there who care about this stuff.
spinbackwards

Postby spinbackwards » Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:03 pm

Boots feel goood. Makin every turn.
Maybe I just needed to dial ‘em in
I’m starting to like them more. Because they’re warmer.
Still gonna do the liquid fit though.
spinbackwards

Postby spinbackwards » Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:07 pm

Now I think the boots are better.
bc yesterday at the Beav it was freaking cold - around 0 all day.
In my old boots I wouldn't have made it more than 2 hours without having to go inside for an hour until my toes got warm.
But yesterday I skied all day, toes were warm. Comfy feet. For me comfy feet = better turns.
Now I'm dialed in with buckling, performance is definitely right on.
spinbackwards

Return to Gear