Review: Fischer RC One 86 GT

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Review: Fischer RC One 86 GT

Postby jbotti » Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:14 pm

I skied this ski today in the 182 length at my home mountain in Montana. Conditions were cold (4F) with super grippy groomers and off piste we had a little left over pow, some windbuff, crud and chop. Heluva owns this ski and has been skiing it mostly on piste at his home mountain and he suggested I try it. I'll cut to the conclusion: one could do much worse but IMO it does not compare to either the Kastle MX 88 or the Head Monster 88.

On groomers it skied nicely. Edge hold was fine but it did not have a great glued to the snow feel. Call it 2/3s of that feel that both the MX 88 and the Monster have. The ski has about 1.5" more tip rocker than the MX 88 (and the Monster has almost none). I was however able to engage the tips and get the ski to bend. And it bends nicely. I could easily tighten the arc down to call it a 16M radius (maybe even a little tighter at times). It does not feel as solid as the other two skis but is skis nicely on groomed terrain (unlike the Liberty skis that I have reviewed here that really have mediocre edge hold on groomed terrain).

Off-piste I immediately had to ski them differently than the other two skis (and the head RNR). The MX 88 tip easily engages in the high C part of the turn and I can get some nice ski bend early that takes me through the arc and gives nice rebound coming out). The RC One 86 tips float and or deflect and I could not get them to engage. It makes sense because they have more rocker and the tips are designed to float and or deflect. But if you are used to a ski that will engage and bend, it's not very much fun to ski one that won't. I had the sense that if I moved the bindings up 2CM or so, things might have improved. But at that point I already knew that the Kastle's and Heads were way better skis for me and I was headed back down to give these back.

The skis are about 1.5 inches longer than the Kastle MX 88. They seem to weigh about the same. The Fischer's ski shorter and feel shorter than the Kastle's (which makes sense as with more tip Rocker the running length is shorter).

Mine were mounted with the Fischer equivalent of a Head PRD binding, so pretty much the same set up I have on my Kastle's. And I skied them on the line (as I do my Kastle's). Skied my Kastle's the rest of the day. IMO, while the RC One 86 is not a bad ski, the MX 88 and Monster 88 both dust it.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Return to Gear