Head Boots 2022

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Head Boots 2022

Postby jbotti » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:23 pm

Spent a good amount of time emailing with HH and Diana on the Head boot lineup. They are carrying most of the WCR lineup (which I believe runs from 1-6 with 1 being a 160-170 flex and the 6 an 80-90 flex). They are also carrying the Raptor WCR 140S which is a 98 lasted boot (96mm in the 26.5) that Harald is skiing and really likes (in the 26.5 length). This is a big improvement over the old 140 RS which was a bit of a dog, and Harald loves this boot. They are also carrying the Head Formula line and the Formula RS 130 comes in a 100mm last and the Formula 130 comes in a 102mm last, both of which are great options for those with wider feet. All the WCR and Formula boots have the same plastic in the shells. It is designed to be super flexxy at indoor temps (and they are super easy to get into indoors) and getting to their full stiffness at colder temps (I believe the catalogue says between 15-20F). As far as the fit, it mimics Lange boots to some degree. It has a longer, deeper heel pocket and quite a bit more instep room (but not as much as the voluminous instep in the R lineup). Diana said that the 27.5 in the Head at 313mm BSL is actually a MM or 2 longer inside than the Lange at 316mm BLS. The Heads still have 16 degrees of FL making them a superior option for those that want or need the added FL. Whereas the old Heads were almost a half size smaller in length than were the Langes, they now appear to be close to equal in length (again the Heads maybe a scooch longer inside). HH and Diana really like the Liquid Fit liners that come with all these boots (formula line as well). That is saying lot because they both loved the Intuition Pro Tongues that they skied before this. Diana says the plastic is super easy to mold, punch and grind and holds punches really well.

For those that liked the old Head Raptor 150 RD boots (the white translucent and the Red ones) that were a good bit stiffer than the Raptor B2s, the WCR1 may be an option to look at. It appears that Walker is going to get into a set of these, so we may get some feedback after that. Diana thinks the stiffness in the WCR1 is similar to the old Raptor 150 RDs (but its impossible to tell indoors because of how soft they are at indoor temps).

Should get more data points and info on the full 22-23 Head lineup (and on some other Brands possibly) after SIA which is next week. I think the demos days are the following week, starting 1/31 I believe.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Re: Head Boots 2022

Postby tigernbr » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:25 pm

Thanks for the info jbotti. I have an appointment with HSS for a boot fitting on the 4th, ahead of camp.
tigernbr

Postby BrettBPotter » Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:32 am

Great product review as always JB! So is this new WCR stock liner a molded liner that is molded to our foot?
BrettBPotter

Postby jbotti » Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:52 pm

Yes, it's similar to the old foam liners but more modern technology. The old foam was very bad for the environment. The next generation foam was not as good as the old. This is new technology. Safe for the environment and gives a great glove like fit. I have not skied it but as I mentioned HH and Diana have been skiing them the past 2 seasons and really like them. All Head race boots and the Formula line come with them and possibly some others in the Head boot lineup.
jbotti

Postby tigernbr » Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:59 am

Walker did my boot alignment ahead of the Blue/Dark Blue camp. I am now wearing the Head Formula RS 120. I am really liking these boots. They fit my feet nearly perfectly and Walker did a great job with the alignment.
tigernbr

Postby jbotti » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:01 am

Are you using the Head Liquid fit liners? And if so, how do you like them?
jbotti

Postby tigernbr » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:16 am

Yes and so far so good. They fit my feet really well and I have not had any sore spots. They are extremely comfortable.
tigernbr

Postby jbotti » Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:15 am

Cool. They must be excellent liners if HH and Diana ski them and they both really like them. I would like to find someone who is skiing them that used to ski the old Nordica foam liners and have them compare the two. I skied that liner for a long time, but it was very tight in the forefoot and the elastic at the front of the toe box caused all type of problems (I permanently destroyed both big toe nails using those liners). I am beyond happy with my pro tongues but always interested in new technology.

Actually HH and Diana used to ski those, so I can ask them. But if someone has skied both, please respond.
jbotti

Postby tigernbr » Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:42 pm

My old boots were Dalbello's with Intuition liners.
tigernbr

Postby Ihamilton » Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:47 pm

I just purchased new Head WCR140 boots. I’ve skied on them 3 days at Abasin and will ski tomorrow. My old boots were Head Raptors with Intuition Liners. The old boots were 8 years old with more than 600 days on them. They had some cracks and missing parts but I stayed with them because I thought they were the best fit I’ve ever had. I couldn’t change the old boots until now because of travel restrictions with the pandemic. So when the travel restrictions were lifted I drove 2500 km one way to the only store that I’ll buy boots from in Dumont. The whole process of fitting wasn’t anything like I remember because the process has been completely revamped. Walker and Diana took such care to get everything perfect and their knowledge was so impressive. In the end it took about 5 hours. I have friends who bought new boots this year and none of them had the same experience that I got. The goal was not only to get the boot perfect for me but also the end result of making me a better skier. No other boot store would even attempt that. Walker and Diana weren’t trying just to move product out the door, they really cared that I would be comfortable and enjoy the experience of skiing on these boots. I was lucky to ski with Walker and Diana the next day for half a day. After a few runs Diana tweaked the alignment on one boot. Right away I noticed that my skis (Head e-original) were performing better. I’ve been on the skis all year and the turns were more symmetrical, better grip and tighter, closer to the radius they were designed for. I didn’t have one hot spot. It was cold 7F with a strong wind and my feet stayed warm. I had a marvellous ski day. I’ve had a day of skiing since then and one more tomorrow. These are my 4th pair of boots from the shop. I got my first pair the day before my first camp so I’ve only attempted to ski PMTS on HSS boots. I don’t know how long I’ll keep these boots but when they do need replacing I’ll be back.
Ihamilton

Postby jbotti » Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:01 pm

Harald is skiing that boot and he loves them. They are almost as stiff as the WCR2s which are a 150 flex but so much easier to get on and off. Harald can use his other foot and no hands to get out of each boot. And his skiing in them is pretty F-ing amazing.

Diana is in a class by herself with boot-fitting! Enjoy!
jbotti

Postby Ihamilton » Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:06 pm

That gives me a new goal! Get my boots off with no hands. HH is way ahead of me there as well.
Ihamilton

Return to Gear