Head 2022 and 2023 Product

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Head 2022 and 2023 Product

Postby jbotti » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:44 am

I had the opportunity to ski the new Head SS e.Speed this past weekend. This is a new ski for the 22-23 season that a friend of mine had in advance of SIA (which is in late Jan). I am at a bit of a disadvantage with these ski because I never skied the e.Speeds that most people did not like. As well, the tune on these skis had very little base angle (call it .5 degrees which is challenging on super grippy Montana snow. Having said that, the felt reasonably similar to my old SS i.Speeds. The skis are much lighter in weight, and they are getting their power and edge hold in a less traditional manner (different materials) that the standard sandwich construction on their older skis and their current race line. Edge hold was excellent. I was having trouble getting great rebound and I was having some trouble tightening the arc but I only skied them in super flat light and the base bevel made it difficult to really go for it in the flat light. But, I would say that this is not a terrible ski. My friend who has last years SS e.Speeds likes this ski and pretty much hated the older version. Seems pretty clear that this ski has improved.
In the process of trying this ski I reached out to HH and Diana to see what they liked and what they have tried. They have not tried the 22-23 e.Speeds yet but will in early feb at the SIA demo days. But Diana ordered some SS e.Titans this year. This is a vastly improved ski according to her (Harald just hated the old SS i.Titans) and she compared it to the Blossom White Outs. No Clever name is finally right about some Titans!
The other ski that Harald likes is the e.Speed Pro (not to be confused with the SS e-Speed). This is in their race /rebels line and it is the new version of the older i.Speeds. I own the older ski in the 180 length and its a great cheater GS ski (18m TR). I think HH is skiing it in the 170 length which has a 15.9 TR. He really likes them.

One last ski that Harald has been skiing but he does not recommend is the e-Race pro. He says its super stiff, hard to bend and he feels like he has to ski it everyday to get the performance he wants out of it. He also says he only skis it on super hard snow and ice. If HH has to work on this ski, its definitely one for most to avoid.

I did get a good run down on the Head boot lineup and will post some details when I get more time later today.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Re: Head 2022 and 2023 Product

Postby njdiver85 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:59 am

Any changes being made to the e-Original that you know of?
njdiver85

Postby jbotti » Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:26 pm

No, i have heard nothing about next years e-original. But SIA just happened and testing is this week. I'll hear from HH and Diana at the end of the week.
jbotti

Postby jbotti » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:33 am

I emailed with Harald last night. He says there was very little that they demo'd that they liked. Harald tried a Rossi slalom ski that he said was terrible. Diana tried several Stocklis but could not find anything that she loved (It's the same for me when I demo Stockli's, mainly their all mountain skis). Harald did say that he really likes the new SS e-Titan. 84mm underfoot with a 17m TR in the 177 (15.7m in the 170cm length). Diana thinks of this as a nice replacement for the Blossom White Out. Its probably closer to a replacement for the Blossom Cross Wind (which is 85mm under foot) but the White Out is an awesome ski so anything that gets compared to it (by HH and Diana) has to be good. No matter, they both think its a really nice all mountain ski. I am going to look to demo a pair when I get a chance. Its has taken Head a long time to fix this ski (which Harald absolutely hated in the earlier versions) but this is one people should be trying.

The E-original SS is back and basically unchanged and they both still love it.
jbotti

Postby Eiszapfen » Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:00 pm

Did anyone already get to test the worldcup rebels e-Sl? Looking to replace my old iSS with something that makes it easier to cut through mean ice but does not loose much in all mountain versatility...
Eiszapfen

Return to Gear