Kastle MX 78 -> Head e-Original to Accelerate Learning

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Kastle MX 78 -> Head e-Original to Accelerate Learning

Postby KJL » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:52 pm

I think I know the answer to this, but hesitate nevertheless and would be grateful for some advice.

I'm 5'11" and a very overweight 209 lbs ("normally" 170 lbs). Four kids, etc ....

Years ago (when I was at my "normal" weight) I chose the Kastle MX 78 as my "one-ski quiver" for New England conditions, but in a very short 168 cm in order to tighten the basic TR (though still a GS-like 16m). The MX 78 has been wonderful, though wasted on me for years — because it was not until this year that I finally started to really "get" carving.

In fact, just this past week a passing skier yelled out "That was awesome!" after a particularly tight and "rhythmic" run, something no one has ever said about my skiing, even when prompted :lol:. Exciting stuff!

Unfortunately, nowadays I have been relegated to shepherding my little kids (<= 9 yo) down green and easier blue slopes. I would like to squeeze in as much practice as possible by increasing the frequency of my turns and perhaps also reducing my speed. The MX 78 loves to go fast ....

Now, the question. Back in 2012 I demoed a X-Shape STX (sans KERS) in 170 cm and that was the first ski to introduce me to an edge. My demo notes from that era gushed gratitude.

It's not crazy for me to consider purchasing a Head Supershape e-Original in 170 cm (or even 163 cm?) to avail myself of its tighter 12.1m TR, just to help me accelerate my training, is it?
Last edited by KJL on Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KJL

Re: Kastle MX 78 -> Head e-Original to Accelerate Learning

Postby jbotti » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:32 am

You know the answer. The SS will accelerate your learning curve and it will do this quickly. I own the MX 78 (in the 176 length). Great ski. Not a PMTS learning ski.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby KJL » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:06 am

jbotti wrote:You know the answer. The SS will accelerate your learning curve and it will do this quickly. I own the MX 78 (in the 176 length). Great ski. Not a PMTS learning ski.

Thank you.

May I ask one more question: does it make any sense to go shorter (to 163 cm) for training skis, or would that be foolish even at my "normal" weight just for a slightly tighter TR?
KJL

Postby jbotti » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:29 pm

I would think at 5 11" and 209 lbs that the 170 is the right length. A lot of people shorter and lighter than you ski the 170. What you gain with a slightly tighter turn radius you will give back to some degree with a greater challenge with your fore aft balance.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby KJL » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:08 pm

jbotti wrote:I would think at 5 11" and 209 lbs that the 170 is the right length. A lot of people shorter and lighter than you ski the 170. What you gain with a slightly tighter turn radius you will give back to some degree with a greater challenge with your fore aft balance.

Thanks again very much.

My daughters told us they were looking forward to ski school next month, so that we could have some time to ourselves "and then Baba can practice his fancy tricks".

They don't know yet that I'm intend to practice those fancy trick PMTS exercises with them, this time with more suitable skis under my boots!

(Also, I bought the Instructor's Manual PDF yesterday and only now realize I should've started with that instead. I like all my information to be presented at the beginning, apparently).
KJL

Postby KJL » Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:21 am

Just a final note of thanks: the gamble on buying e-Originals just for training paid off handsomely on this week’s trip to Loon, when all the basic pieces of carving finally “clicked” together.

I only have 360 camera footage shot a mere two feet from my butt, so not good enough for an MA. But even without film I could feel the difference, and the railroad tracks don’t lie.

Also, I skied the “ice” on Friday (torrential rain at 50°F overnight, followed by 20°F morning) exactly the same as I had done the previous days, while everyone else glumly skidded down. I cannot properly convey how incredible the feeling of liberation that brought me felt.

And I could carve many turns behind my kids without catching up with them, or they could follow me down the mountain without me shooting far ahead.

Especially gratifying was how viscerally effective initiating the turn by tipping the LTE was. I know, that’s the very first PMTS exercise, but because of over-countering and uneven pressure on the shins I could never put it into practice while in motion.

Now initiation (tip grip) happens so quickly it genuinely feels like a “Bang!” (shades of Deb Armstrong), even though it is actually gradual and in-balance.

As far as the e-Originals go: their flex felt like a warm blanket for this beginner, but at speed they are as quiet and confidence-inspiring as the Kastle MX78. Unreal.

So: many, many thanks!
KJL

Return to Gear