Comfort footbeds

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Comfort footbeds

Postby alpinebaseline » Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:32 am

Please could I have a recommendation for a ‘comfort’ footbed?

My current stuff sidas orthotics are giving me very painful feet and not helping my tipping. I’m in the UK so can’t easily get to a Harb boot fitter for insoles so was hoping to buy the next best thing.

I have pretty normal feet, run high mileage in neutral trainers without issues.

Many thanks!
alpinebaseline

Re: Comfort footbeds

Postby Robert0325 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:01 am

I took the ferry and a pleasant drive to Portes Du Ski in Holland to have Harb Ski beds fitted. Well worth the the time and effort.
I'm not aware of any solution in the UK that even comes close to supporting PMTS movements. You probably know this but don't go for the cork foot beds that most Ski shops in the UK offer they lock your feet up too much.
It may be worth speaking to @Jeet, I have a feeling that he found some kind of solution in the UK which was partially acceptable at least.
Good luck....
Robert
Robert0325

Postby alpinebaseline » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:01 am

Thanks Robert - long story but I did actually visit Jasper a couple of years ago, unfortunately boots and footbeds went missing when posted back to the UK - would definitely go back but not feasible in the short term.

Jeet did offer some recommendations to me a few years ago which involved sanding down some super feet blue but I was hoping someone might have some experience with an off the shelf insole that requires no mods. Superfeet flex maybe?
alpinebaseline

Postby jbotti » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:36 am

A few years ago I traveled to a ski resort and forgot to pack my footbeds. I was able to buy a pair of down under insoles that enabled me to ski that weekend. They are non rigid and for people with some arch to high arches they are usable. If you are flat footed you really don't need a footbed and you certainly wouldn't want these which have a good amount of arch support.

https://www.downunders.us/index.php/dow ... snowboard/
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby alpinebaseline » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:39 am

Thanks John, they look good. I am not flat footed so they would probably work well. Don't appear to be available in the UK unfortunately.
alpinebaseline

Postby alpinebaseline » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:50 am

A related question - should a custom footbed be moulded whilst sitting (so that the foot is in a neutral position or standing (to accomodate some ankle flex and correct any pronation)?
alpinebaseline

Postby Jeet » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:43 am

Hi there,

I used to wear the A-lines foot beds but these are still not the best off the shelf footbeds that are out there for a number of reasons.

1. they way too thick
2. they are too wide
3. too high and stiff under the arch

My friend who has not got a Harb footbeds (at the moment) emailed Diana today and these are some the off the shelf footbeds she has suggested

Downunders - As per Jbottis suggestion
https://www.downunders.us/
https://www.tognar.com/downunders-custom-ski-footbeds/

ArchMolds
https://www.powerstep.com/shop-all-prod ... soles.html

Bootdocs
https://www.boot-doc.com/en_us/produkte ... 35x38.html

Thanks

Jeet
Jeet

Postby jbotti » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:01 am

The two below the downunders offer 3-4 different models where you can choose a footbed based on the size of your arch. These seem like the more preferable options.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby ToddW » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:46 pm

alpinebaseline wrote:A related question - should a custom footbed be moulded whilst sitting (so that the foot is in a neutral position or standing (to accomodate some ankle flex and correct any pronation)?

Harb footbeds are molded partially weighted in a sitting position with one arm crossed over the knee to help precisely control position (subtalar neutral) and the other hand applying pressure. Underneath the bed is a special molding cushion to spread the load out. The amount of pressure depends on your foot’s architecture and how it responds to pressure. For an orthotic footbed, few skiers will want molding to be done heavily weighted because the bed won’t have the gentle give that enhances good tipping for most feet.
ToddW

Return to Gear