Volkl Racetiger SL or SC vs Head TT 80 vs Head e-Original SS

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Volkl Racetiger SL or SC vs Head TT 80 vs Head e-Original SS

Postby Houdini » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:42 am

Anyone have experience with a recent model Volkl Racetiger SL (R12.6 127-68-103 @ 165cm) or Volkl Racetiger SC (R13 123-70-103 @ 165cm )?
The SL and SC are marketed as performance recreational slalom skis compared to the WC/FIS versions of the Racetigers.
Harald's buddy Reilly McGlashan often skis the Racetiger SL in his videos and has demo'd the SC a few times.
Whether that's a function of manufacturer comps or love of the ski, or both, I can't answer.

I am deciding among one of those two Volkls, the Head e-Original SS, and a pair of in-the-wrapper old stock Head TT 80s I located--no, I'm not saying where. :)

Of those four, I could maybe justify buying two. I pretty much know what to expect from the Head e-Original SS vs TT 80 (a bit less performance than the SS, less "hooky"/more forgiving tail) thanks to
Harald's and others' reviews here, but I wonder how the Volks I mentioned might compare. Experience? Opinions?

Thanks so much!
Houdini

Re: Volkl Racetiger SL or SC vs Head TT 80 vs Head e-Origina

Postby jbotti » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:40 am

I don't think you will find a lot pf people on this forum that have skied many Volkl's. I developed a strong bias against Volkl when I demo'd a good number of their recreational skis, generally mid fats of yesteryear and they were the stiffest planks I had ever skied and almost impossible to bend unless you were 240 lbs with WC level technique. I would hope that their slalom carvers are better but the question is why mess with product that may not be great for PMTS technique when you have many options that are known to be not only good but helpful.

I loved my TT 80s when I skied them before I wore them out. I skied my TT 80 176 (which still has some life) last year and it just doesn't have the same high end that the Supershape i.Speed has or the eOriginal SS has. As a PMTS learning ski (TT 80) its great, very user friendly and fun.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Houdini » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:12 am

Thanks, jb.

I only ask about the Volkl recreational slaloms (Racetiger SL or SC) because of their ready availability in the U.S., with relatively minor changes from year to year, and Reilly's beautiful, energetic skiing on them using PMTS movements. (He also sometimes skis the WC/FIS version, but, well, no--not for me, anyway.)

I'd heard that some of Volkl's skis in years gone by were crazy stiff planks, as you mentioned, but I was hoping to hear from some PMTSers that had tried recent iterations of the Volkl Racetiger SL or SC.

I also wondered if maybe Harald had given them a go during demo days or something.
Houdini

Postby docmartin » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:39 pm

Their midfats are certainly not the planks they used to be. Unfortunately I can’t speak to the Racetigers. They have been rated very highly on realskiers.
docmartin

Postby speedcontrol » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:32 pm

Racetiger SL are Reilly's ski and he is a top pmts skier, but I guess you should be at least that good to get the max out of them.I also heard that they are not very durable, but this should depend on where you ski and how many days per season you normally do....
speedcontrol

Return to Gear