Next season skis

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Re: Next season skis

Postby alpinebaseline » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:20 am

HeluvaSkier wrote:Try Colorado Discount Skis for PR plates. HSS may also carry the plates without bindings... not sure about that though.

Thanks Greg - they look like a good option for me as they ship internationally.

There will be quite a big price difference for me versus the Attack 13 - just so I understand the benefits of the PR/PRD setup - would it be?:

a. Similar to a race plate, added height gives a leverage benefit & makes tipping easier
b. Adjusting to other size of boots easier
c. Adds some torsional stiffness
d. Allows easy adustment back and forwards without re-drilling which can help with fore-aft balance

Many thanks, Jonny.
alpinebaseline

Postby Robert0325 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:40 am

Hi Alpinebaseline, I'm in the UK and had very much the same issue as you when I bought a pair of used Movement Jams a couple of years ago. These were fitted with Marker bindings which I didn't like as had little on no delta angle. Also I wanted to fit a plate for my PRD bindings so I could move them back and forth between my TT80's and the movement Jams.
In the end I ended up buying them from Harb Ski Systems as like you could not source them from anywhere in Europe -A bit bizarre when you consider they're made in Europe but that's the mad world we live in.
The only problem with importing from the states is that as well as paying for the freight you get stung for duty when the arrive in the uk so work out quite expensive.
Anyway they worked great so I'm glad I did it.
Robert0325

Postby alpinebaseline » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:18 pm

Thanks Robert that’s very interesting.

I’ll get some plates ordered from Greg’s suggested shop in the US and suck up the import costs over the weekend unless anyone else has anything else to add/other suggestions?
alpinebaseline

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:17 pm

Have you called Ski Bartlett? They are/were a big Tyrolia/Head/Fischer dealer. If you're worried about import, it might be worth asking them before pulling the trigger on a plate from the states.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby alpinebaseline » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:45 pm

Thank you - emailed them now so fingers crossed.

Biggest worry is then being stopped at the border, have ordered something else from the US that never arrived.
In theory going skiing for three weeks to Switzerland from 8 Jan so would like them available for them.

Have new E-originals to take so not the end of the world if I just have them.
alpinebaseline

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:32 pm

I also have seen folks from this forum run the Attack bindings on top of a Head/Tyrolia RDX plate... though this setup may be too aggressive for a non-expert PMTS skier. I don't know the Attack hole pattern well enough to know if it is transferrable across other, more recreationally-oriented, carving plates from Tyrolia.

HeluvaSkier

Postby HighAngles » Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:43 am

HeluvaSkier wrote:I also have seen folks from this forum run the Attack bindings on top of a Head/Tyrolia RDX plate... though this setup may be too aggressive for a non-expert PMTS skier. I don't know the Attack hole pattern well enough to know if it is transferrable across other, more recreationally-oriented, carving plates from Tyrolia.

Luckily Tyrolia used the exact same hole mounting pattern in their Attack series (identical to the higher end race-oriented FF and ST series). So you could mount Attacks on plates, but you need to be careful of the final stack height (I wouldn't recommend exceeding 50mm at the heel).
HighAngles

Postby alpinebaseline » Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:21 am

So unfortunately I wasn't able to source the PRD bindings last season for the Monsters & ended up just skiing the Supershape E-Originals which were great.

Having another look now to see if I can find some that will ship to the UK. I have found a pair of the 85mm brake versions & was wondering if they build enough latency into them in terms of width that they would ft my 88mm Monsters?

If anyone has any experience & can offer some advice that would be great?!

I am visiting Colorado in December to attend a camp so maybe sourcing some from HSS might be an option too...

Thank you :)
alpinebaseline

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:20 am

alpinebaseline wrote:I have found a pair of the 85mm brake versions & was wondering if they build enough latency into them in terms of width that they would ft my 88mm Monsters?

They should fit.

HeluvaSkier

Postby alpinebaseline » Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:18 pm

Thanks! Just noticed I said 'latency' but meant 'redundancy' -ooops! :roll:
alpinebaseline

Previous

Return to Gear