What’s the Boot of choice?

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

What’s the Boot of choice?

Postby BrettBPotter » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:02 pm

What Head Boot is the boot of choice for PMTS?
BrettBPotter

Re: What’s the Boot of choice?

Postby ErikCO » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:14 pm

It all depends on your foot/ankle as well as, to a lesser degree, the anatomy of your lower legs/hips/pelvis. You won't get a good answer without visiting a good boot shop.
ErikCO

Postby ChrisV » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:40 pm

My advice--make the pilgrimage to Dumont. Selecting a boot is hard to begin with, and there's so much more to it that follows.
ChrisV

Postby jbotti » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:07 am

Can't stress enough how important the boot fitting process is and why buying boots off the shelf without the guidance and knowledge of a great bootfitter is almost always destined for failure.

I will never go anywhere else but Dumont for my boots and bootwork and I have worked with other knowledgeable boot fitters.

Choosing a brand before anything else is a massive mistake. Heads are a 1/2 size smaller than Lange's. You may be in between sizes in a Head and the Lange's would be perfect. And that is just one element as one looks at width, forward lean, stiffness etc. Not to mention the most important thing once you have a good fitting boot, which is the alignment work. No one does alignment like HSS and that's not a marketing line. I have seen what other shops do with alignment and its often as wrong as can be.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Vailsteve » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:07 pm

jbotti wrote: No one does alignment like HSS and that's not a marketing line. I have seen what other shops do with alignment and its often as wrong as can be.

100% agree. And bring video if you can. Cell phone video is “fine”, not optimal, but still helpful.

Last season, I had the privilege of watching Diana watching a cell phone coaches video for some young racers who were in for boot fitting. Unerring, unreal her ability to see this, this and this, and she said you need this, that and that.

I think it took Diana all of two minutes to review the video. Then probably two hours to fine fit the boots and liner.

But that is what you get at HSS.

Worth EVERY penny...travel costs included. Call it part of your CO ski vacation.
Vailsteve

Postby ErikCO » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:45 pm

Vailsteve wrote:Worth EVERY penny...travel costs included. Call it part of your CO ski vacation.

The three biggest turning points thus far in my life as a skier:
1. Discovering PMTS and the phantom move followed, about 10 years later by
2. Boot fitting at HHS which was then followed about 2 years later by
3. First camp with Diana and Harald.
They came in that order, and each has had a similar level of impact on my skiing (at least from the self-reflection standpoint, though perhaps not from a coaches standpoint). Please notice, I did not list anything about a specific set of skis in there! Not that skis aren't important (and I have a few more sets than I probably should), but at least in my life as a skier, they rank significantly below the above three.
ErikCO

Return to Gear