Beginner recommendation - The Link v Supershape Jr

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Beginner recommendation - The Link v Supershape Jr

Postby alpinebaseline » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:48 am

I am looking into getting some skis for my girlfriend - couple of weeks skiing, 5ft, 110lbs.

Not looking to spend big bucks at the moment so looking at the second hand market and narrowed it down to:

Head The Link Pro 150cm
125 - 69 - 106, 10m radius
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HEAD-The-Link-Pro-150-cm-Ski-Tyrolia-10-Bindings-Winter-Snow-Sport-Fun-Outdoor/283985857715?hash=item421ee04cb3:g:b4UAAOSwtfNfP568

Or

Head Supershape Junior 150cm
124-71-102; 11.1m radius
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ski-occasion-junior-Head-Supershape-bindings/274472567036?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=574625546499&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Any advice welcome!

Many thanks,

Jonny
alpinebaseline

Re: Beginner recommendation - The Link v Supershape Jr

Postby dtrick924 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:53 am

I've own a pair 160 cm Head "The Link" since 2013. I bought them after reading Harald's review here on the forum. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3432

I am a female, 5 ft, 160 lbs, advanced intermediate TTS/beginner PMTS skier. They've been a great pair of east coast groomer skis for me. I ski in Vermont and I believe Stratton used The Link as their rental ski for a few years.
dtrick924

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:13 am

Have you invested in good boots for her? That should be priority #1 over ski selection.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby alpinebaseline » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:45 pm

dtrick924 wrote:I've own a pair 160 cm Head "The Link" since 2013. I bought them after reading Harald's review here on the forum. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3432

I am a female, 5 ft, 160 lbs, advanced intermediate TTS/beginner PMTS skier. They've been a great pair of east coast groomer skis for me. I ski in Vermont and I believe Stratton used The Link as their rental ski for a few years.

Thank you - that link is really useful, much appreciated.
Last edited by alpinebaseline on Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alpinebaseline

Postby alpinebaseline » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:48 pm

HeluvaSkier wrote:Have you invested in good boots for her? That should be priority #1 over ski selection.

Yes - I am in the UK so boot fitting choices limited, but I went with her and tried to push her in the right direction.

She has excellent natural alignment and has represented England at karate so is a good athlete - if she ends up not being able to ski it's on me! Just trying to gently encourage her as to the importance of good gear. In karate it's irrelevant, in skiing...
alpinebaseline

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:58 pm

alpinebaseline wrote:Yes - I am in the UK so boot fitting choices limited, but I went with her and tried to push her in the right direction.

She has excellent natural alignment and has represented England at karate so is a good athlete - if she ends up not being able to ski it's on me! Just trying to gently encourage her as to the importance of good gear. In karate it's irrelevant, in skiing...

Great--glad you got her boots. Warm comfortable boots will be one of the most important aspects of your mutual enjoyment. Let's face it, if she doesn't have fun, you don't have fun.

On the ski front, I'd recommend looking for new ski deals that are slightly above your price range. For example, when I taught my girlfriend, now wife, how to ski when we first started dating at university, I bought her a brand new Dynastar women's carving ski setup... I think it was the Exclusive back then... one step down from top of the range. She loved it because she had brand new shiny women's skis that were all hers, and the Exclusive range happened to feature a grip/pad on the front of the ski that made if comfortable for picking up and carrying. This may sound like a non-feature, but she thought this was the best thing ever because it made the skis easy to transport, which was a new experience for her.

Both the V Series and Joy Series from Head are good considerations, as are the lower-level and women's Curv skis from Fischer. I think Dynastar and Rossi also have some offerings that can be had for pretty cheap (e.g. under $300 USD with bindings). Try to keep the waist in the 68-75 range. Make sure they look nice.

Again, remember, if she's happy, you're happy.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby alpinebaseline » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:17 pm

HeluvaSkier wrote:
Great--glad you got her boots. Warm comfortable boots will be one of the most important aspects of your mutual enjoyment. Let's face it, if she doesn't have fun, you don't have fun.

On the ski front, I'd recommend looking for new ski deals that are slightly above your price range. For example, when I taught my girlfriend, now wife, how to ski when we first started dating at university, I bought her a brand new Dynastar women's carving ski setup... I think it was the Exclusive back then... one step down from top of the range. She loved it because she had brand new shiny women's skis that were all hers, and the Exclusive range happened to feature a grip/pad on the front of the ski that made if comfortable for picking up and carrying. This may sound like a non-feature, but she thought this was the best thing ever because it made the skis easy to transport, which was a new experience for her.

Both the V Series and Joy Series from Head are good considerations, as are the lower-level and women's Curv skis from Fischer. I think Dynastar and Rossi also have some offerings that can be had for pretty cheap (e.g. under $300 USD with bindings). Try to keep the waist in the 68-75 range. Make sure they look nice.

Again, remember, if she's happy, you're happy.

Great advice thank you. I hadn't really considered the none practical side of things - I am sure a used Edge is still a good ski, but probably not as aesthetically pleasing as some newer models. I will have a look into some of the models you suggested. :D
alpinebaseline

Return to Gear