Powerrail PRD 12 vs FREEFLEX 14

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Powerrail PRD 12 vs FREEFLEX 14

Postby sym95734 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:33 pm

Hi,

I am planning to install the Head PowerRail / PRD 12 GW binding on my new Stöckli Stormrider 95. Before I commit, I'd like to understand what is the PERFORMANCE difference between the PowerRail PRD 12, and the Head FREEFLEX 14. My current SL ski (Volkl Racetiger SL) is mounted with the PRD 12 and I am skiing with the Head Raptor boots custom fitted by Walker / Diana at Harb Ski System. The PRD 12 / Head combo seems to provide the correct ramp angle for me, the reason why I am thinking to install the PRD on my all-mountain skis.

Thanks for any help.
sym95734

Re: Powerrail PRD 12 vs FREEFLEX 14

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:33 pm

In terms of ski boot retention, there is virtually no difference between the two bindings. The only functionality difference may be the GW compatibility of the PRD 12. That said, the bindings are slightly different animals.

If I recall, the PRD bindings are known for being pretty flat from a delta perspective (4mm I believe). The FF14 will have slightly more delta... 7-8mm, but the bindings usually ship with a 2-3mm toe shim to reduce the delta back to the 4-range. IMO, the FF14 is best suited for skis that will also have a plate mounted on them (e.g. race setup) vs. the PRD being probably better-suited for a non-race or non-carving ski. Mounted flat to the ski, the lower stand height of the FF14 will require more leverage to put a 95mm ski on edge... so if mounted sans-plate, the FF14 will feel more sluggish when you're tipping.

FWIW, every ski I own is mounted with a race plate and FF15, 16 or 17 bindings (these are a different design from the FF14, having a delta closer to the PRD) and from a delta perspective I can switch from my setups to demo/borrowed setups the feature a PRD without blinking. The PRD bindings work very well IMO... I skied a PRD14 when borrowing some skis a couple seasons ago and was very impressed with how they held the boot... they had an almost race binding like retention.

Short answer, if the delta on the PRD works on skis you currently own, get the PRD again. It isn't worth trying to dial in a different setup on another pair of skis. There is a reason every ski I own is mounted exactly the same...
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby sym95734 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:07 pm

This is a great explanation and more than expected. Thanks for the help.
sym95734

Postby ToddW » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:16 pm

If the ramp angle works well for you, you've found your binding. The PRD12 has a bit more side to side play in it than the FF14, but it's a good recreational binding. (I'v owned both bindings and skied them back to back. Heleva mentioned the PRD14. The previous generation of PRD14 had less play in it and more ramp angle, but I don't know about the current version.)
ToddW

Postby sym95734 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:06 am

Thanks Todd.
sym95734

Return to Gear