Baist Gloves?

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Baist Gloves?

Postby jbotti » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:34 pm

Does anyone have any experience with these gloves? They look awesome on the website and they appear to be selling a Hestra type glove and at a nice discount because they only sell direct. Just curious if anyone has owned a pair or seen and or tried on a pair? Would love to hear any comments.

https://www.baistapparel.com/
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Re: Baist Gloves?

Postby CO_Steve » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:25 pm

Have you tried the Free The Powder gloves? Same business model, lower prices. I have a couple of pair and they're pretty decent.
CO_Steve

Postby jbotti » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:44 pm

Pretty decent is below the level excitement I am looking for:)

Looking at the site, "they look decent":)

When we buy skis that we love we say great fricking skis. Maybe its just gloves which do not excite to the level of skis. Having said that I have had a pair of gloves for the past 6-7 years that has been unbelievably great and the perfect gloves for me, and they are nearly toast from wear. That's why I am looking around and they no longer make my old gloves gloves.
jbotti

Postby CO_Steve » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:59 pm

I had the first model. They started out kind of stiff but broke in just fine. I thought the gauntlet was too stiff and not quite big enough to fit easily over any jacket sleeve.
They have proven to be super durable, better than some Hestras I've owned. They have small cuff models as well now. Sizing runs a bit small, maybe 1/2 size.
My pet peeve with gloves is a cuff that's too small to go outside and too big to use inside the sleeve.
I recently bought a lighter weight model and it seems really well done.
In my experience all leather gloves aren't as warm as synthetic. These have stayed decently warm to the point I only use them on cold days.

I've been around long enough to recommend anything to this group without exception :)
CO_Steve

Postby HighAngles » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:33 pm

For years I have used boot heaters. It was an absolute revelation having warm feet all day and never being concerned about cold feet any longer. But I still had problems with my hands getting cold on the really tough days on the mountain. This season I finally made the investment in heated gloves and a set of heated glove liners (which I'm using with a couple pairs of shell gloves). I don't think I'll go back to using normal gloves unless the weather is definitely going to be warm on the mountain. Having an external heat source for my hands was the final missing piece to never having to be concerned about about the cold (as long as I've got my balaclava handy ;) .
HighAngles

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:56 am

https://flylowgear.com/collections/mens-gloves

Bombproof, cheap, and warm. I wear the oven mitts and pop a hand warmer packet in for cold days...
go_large_or_go_home

Postby CO_Steve » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:19 pm

go_large_or_go_home wrote:https://flylowgear.com/collections/mens-gloves

Bombproof, cheap, and warm. I wear the oven mitts and pop a hand warmer packet in for cold days...

The Flylow gloves are rebranded Kinco. Favorite of lifties everywhere.
The pair I tried was bomber, cheap, but not that warm.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=%2Bkinco&rh= ... wzyr7j08_e
CO_Steve

Postby jbotti » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:41 pm

I need a gauntlet glove and they don't appear to make any. A good friend of mine just bought a pair of the Baist gloves (the full gauntlet system) so when he gets them I will get and post a full review.

A little thread drift (legit since I started the thread:)), I am different than most in that I need very breathable gloves and my hands sweat even in 0 degree F temps while I ski. I take my gloves off on every lift to prevent my hands from sweating. My hands and feet are never cold, but my hands get cold when wind picks up and I have been sweating in the gloves. Mountain Hardware made a great glove that used Outdry as their breathable membrane and it has been the best pair of gloves (for me) that I ever owned (super breathable). I just had delivered a new Mountain Hardware glove which uses gore-tex and they swear its super breathable (I think the new gore-Tex is much more breathable than the old). Anyway the gloves look and feel great, full gauntlet and wrist bands so you won't drop them on the lift. The only question is whether they will be too warm and/or breathable enough.

In case anyone cares these are the gloves:

https://www.mountainhardwear.com/bounda ... 10#start=4
jbotti

Postby blackthorn » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:07 pm

Semi seriously - given need for breathability, and at least when skiing in dry, cold conditions, have you considered old fashioned type woollen mittens - or some modified version thereof? It's what I used to use in the
"olden days."
blackthorn

Postby jbotti » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:21 am

I haven't because i have been able to find ski gloves that work.
jbotti

Postby ErikCO » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:58 am

I may have to give those Mountain Hardware gloves a try. I, too, have the problem of sweating hands and hands getting cold due to gloves freezing from being soaked.
ErikCO

Postby blackthorn » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:08 am

I haven't because i have been able to find ski gloves that work.

Are gloves that have to be taken off each run really the best that can be achieved? Sounds like a hassle. And might this be contributing to the problem with major changes in hand temperature and effects from this?
blackthorn

Postby HighAngles » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:15 pm

Spent some time looking more at these Baist ("Beast") gloves. They system glove looks very interesting, as I've been looking for good quality glove shells. Unfortunately, unlike jbotti, I don't like gauntlet style gloves because I like to have the glove cuff underneath my jacket cuff. So if the cuff on these gloves is too bulky they just won't work for me.

I have skied in Mountain Hardwear gloves for many years. I love them, but under the new Columbia ownership they seem to be dropping off. I bought a pair last season that are still pretty nice, but looking at this season's offerings has me concerned.
HighAngles

Postby jbotti » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:24 pm

They make an under the jacket cuff glove:

https://baistapparel.com/collections/fr ... yday-baist

and another for under the cuff designed for touring:

https://baistapparel.com/collections/fr ... ring-baist
jbotti

Postby jbotti » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:49 pm

Got to ski a few runs with my friend's Baist Gloves today. Its a very nicely constructed glove and the removable liners are velcro'd in better than any that I have seen (hate when liners come out with your hand when you take off your glove). Unfortunately for me, they are way to warm and don't seem very breathable. My hands started sweating right away.

I have now skied my new mountain hardware gloves for several days, and they are quite breathable and they work very well for me.
jbotti

Return to Gear