Heated Boot Bags?

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Heated Boot Bags?

Postby midwif » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:44 am

Thinking of getting husband a new boot bag. His current transpack is at least 10yrs old, and is nearing the end of useful life.
Anyone here have thoughts and/or experience with one?
Prefer shoulder straps that can be tucked away safely for airline travel.
Thanks!
midwif

Re: Heated Boot Bags?

Postby jbotti » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:25 pm

I've used one for years. They are great especially when you want to get into your boots in a parking lot. They go on like butter when warm. There are now a bunch of different brands but I have only owned the brand that used to be called The Hot Gear bag. I think someone bought the company and they are now called Snow Eagle hot bags. I own the classic which has enough room for boots, helmet, gloves and other accessories and if need be you could cram a sweater and some ski pants and a jacket into the bag. Also fits in most plane overhead compartments but if you are taking a smaller plane (think 30 passenger commuter jets) to your ski destination this one usually won't fit. For anyone with 150 flex boots these are a must. As well for anyone that has ever had to work to get their boots on in the cold, they are also a must. Save your energy for skiing!!
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby midwif » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:07 pm

Thx JB.
Will check on line reviews of snow eagle.
Any one habe the kulkea bag? Seems well liked in general.
midwif

Postby wregan » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:47 pm

Yes, I have the Kulkea and love it. I let it heat up my boots overnight and it makes getting my Lange 130RX with zip fits on a breeze and starts me out with a toasty pair of boots. Has both 110V plug AND car lighter type plug built in so you can keep the bag hot if you have a long drive to the slopes. It has thoughtful pockets, helmet storage and a clever kind of hanging shelf to protect your goggles deep inside the bag. Very happy with it.
wregan

Postby HighAngles » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:34 pm

wregan wrote:Yes, I have the Kulkea and love it. I let it heat up my boots overnight and it makes getting my Lange 130RX with zip fits on a breeze and starts me out with a toasty pair of boots. Has both 110V plug AND car lighter type plug built in so you can keep the bag hot if you have a long drive to the slopes. It has thoughtful pockets, helmet storage and a clever kind of hanging shelf to protect your goggles deep inside the bag. Very happy with it.

Not sure which model you have, or the one I checked out in a store, but the one I messed around with has separate compartments for each boot and there wasn't any room for my liners. I pull my liners and go in "race style" so that bag just couldn't work for me since it wouldn't hold my liners when separate from the shells.

I have an old Hot Gear ZipFit bag and the new Snow Eagle bag. Both have a large shared compartment that holds the shells, liners, and my gloves perfectly.
HighAngles

Postby wregan » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:22 pm

Yes, mine has the individual left and right single boot compartments each with their own heating pad. I too put on my zip fit liners first and then insert them into the shell. This set up does involve more inserting and removing of liners than is ideal, but the smaller compartments heat up super fast and stay hot. I like the idea of one large compartment though!
wregan

Postby HighAngles » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:28 pm

wregan wrote:Yes, mine has the individual left and right single boot compartments each with their own heating pad. I too put on my zip fit liners first and then insert them into the shell. This set up does involve more inserting and removing of liners than is ideal, but the smaller compartments heat up super fast and stay hot. I like the idea of one large compartment though!

So do you have the shells and liners stored separately in the Kulkea bag? If so, where are they in the bag?
HighAngles

Postby wregan » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:48 pm

I put them back in the shells to heat them up overnight. I either put them on where I'm staying if skiing out west and walk to the lift or at home in the east I change in the back of my pickup. After skiing I remove my boots in the back of the car, the liners go into the side pockets and the shells go on the floor. If I let the shells warm up a bit I could reinsert the liners and they could all go back in the two pockets. You raise an interesting question though of whether I could fit the liners in the center pocket. I'll try that.
wregan

Postby seskelson » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:51 am

Like John, I have the former Hot Gear ( now Snow Eagle bag). As the local Head rep, I can tell you that Head has heated bag, and that has a bit more room than the Hot Gear bag . I have got a couple of my fellow patroller friends in those, and they are quite happy. Check with your dealer -- I suspect HSS could get you one if nothing else as a Head dealer.

Rossignol also makes one, but it is more money than the Head one. They are al likely made by Snow Eagle or another company for the ski manufacturer of course.
seskelson

Postby jbotti » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:09 pm

Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby NoCleverName » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:46 pm

Transpack also makes one (which I have) ... it is very sturdy. The boots go on the outside like a normal transpack ... so pretty much everything gets heated (including your duds). Really a lot of fun to let others fondle your warm socks and gloves right out of the bag on a really cold day. :twisted:
NoCleverName

Postby seskelson » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:20 am

Sierra Trading Post has the Snow Eagle heated bag on sale right now for 119.00 with .99 shipping.
seskelson

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:20 am

seskelson wrote:Sierra Trading Post has the Snow Eagle heated bag on sale right now for 119.00 with .99 shipping.

Great find...

does anyone know if you can get one that is dual AC voltage? ie one that will work in both the US and Europe? I know they all have the 12v capability..maybe I am over thinking this..
go_large_or_go_home

Return to Gear