Head Raptor RS

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Head Raptor RS

Postby Roundturns » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:04 pm

Coming back from 6 1/2 days of skiing at Vail. Have new Raptors , the Black shells from Europe, had them punched and ground but continue to experience the top of the toe box where the rubber insert comes down really bitting the top of my toes. I have had two previous Raptor RS boots and never had this issue that I couldn't correct by sanding down the toe area of the boot board.
Not this time. Actually I have had the top of the toe box ground twice and it's still nor good. Anything else I should try and do. The fitter at SBF in Lionshead sanding the Boot board will provide marginal relief because there are plastic ribs below thebot board that effect the height of the boot board in the toe area of the boot.Why he wouldn't try and sand down these ribs I don't know.
Anyway love the boot, but after multiple days skiing in a row the tops of my toes don't.
Any suggestion very appreciated.
Roundturns

Re: Head Raptor RS

Postby HighAngles » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:25 pm

First, please post pics of this "black" version of the Raptor. I would like to see that.

Regarding the grinding to gain toe box room. The bootboard can only be taken down to about 13mm in height at the toe before the ribs that are part of the shell become the constraint. I'm not sure why they didn't want to grind those ribs as that should work to gain additional height in the toe box. I don't believe the ribs do much of anything for the structural integrity of the shell.
HighAngles

Postby noobSkier » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:39 pm

I've experienced this issue. If you pry apart the boot, you can access the plastic tongue that holds the rubber seal. Clamp it with a pair of vice grips and bend it upwards and back as much as possible. Do this in centre, right and left of the plastic tongue. Should relieve some pressure.
noobSkier

Postby HighAngles » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:42 pm

HighAngles

Postby noobSkier » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:46 pm

HighAngles, I have seen the RS in black...I think it was a limited run.
noobSkier

Postby Roundturns » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:13 pm

HighAngles wrote:Is it the Raptor LTD? https://www.head.com/shop-us/us-US/raptor-ltd-14.html

No, I will post a pic when I get home
It's a RS not a LTD.
Roundturns

Postby Obrules15 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:02 am

My Raptors had the toes punched at least 5 times because of toe pain, but no relief. It wasn't until the Dumont crew worked on my Liners that life improved.

I never thought a liner could be the cause of the trouble (it's soft!) but.........I haven't had a lick of pain since the liner was punched.
Obrules15

Postby AnI » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:27 am

Yahoo! I have the same black boots, Raptor Speed RS!

A year ago, Sierra Trading Post got a batch of those boots from somewhere, I guess from Europe, and was selling them for $150 a pair (!!!!), brand new. I checked with Diana and she confirmed that it is a real deal, Raptor RS 140 in a limited black edition, sold primarily in Europe (they were not listed on Head US site at all). They look super awesome in black. I bought a pair for myself and three pairs in different sizes for my son, to grow into. He started skiing in them this year and loves them. Since I've completed training in bootfitting and ski alignment and have the tools, I've been gradually dialing in the fit and alignment and eliminating the pressure spots through the season, skiing sometimes in new and sometimes in old boots. It is nice to not be rushed.

I did not experience any unusual pressure points, they fit and feel essentially the same way as my old grey Raptors. They needed the same amount of bootfitting as my old one, especially around my ankle bones.

If one types "Raptor Speed RS" into Google, one gets many pictures from various sites. It looks like they were produced for three years, one year in black-light yellow-white with buckles on rivets, another year same colors with buckles on screws, and third year in a slightly different color, with darker yellow and with some writing in red (which I think looks worse that the streamlined black-yellow-white). I am not certain if colors with red were the first or last year from the three.

Roundturns, did you do thermo-fit of liners? If you have a modern convention oven at home, you can heat them up in the oven right at home. There is a good chance that this would help.
Also, you could grind down the footbeds a little in the toe area, or make footbeds using a thinner blank. Or you could thin down the bootboard, but be careful with it - it is not reversible. Start with the liner because this is most likely where the problem is.
AnI

Postby Roundturns » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:29 pm

I took pics of the boots but could not figure out how to post the pics ! I ended up having met pads installed on my foot beds which lowered the tops of my toes enough the rubbing has subsided.
Just came back from Colorado last week and skied in comfort.

I thought I got a great deal paying $340 dollars. $150 is a real bargain.
Roundturns

Postby AnI » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:07 pm

$340 is a great bargain which is hard to come by, as it is a half of the street price of Raptors in white. You were lucky to find that price. It is a great deal on any day when you need new boots.
$150 is an unbelievable luck which only can happen once in a lifetime, and only if a discount retailer has no idea what they are selling. Their inventory was sold out in about a week, though.

Sierra Trading Post is a chain like Ross or TJ Maxx or Marshall. They buy excess inventory or last season merchandise from other retailers and sell it at a discount. They are not dealers of any brand and do not carry specific brands. They just move what they get their hands on. As they specialize in sports equipment, they have a general idea of the pricing, but in that case, they apparently did not as this model is not sold in the US market by dealers. The closest match were black lower level boots which are indeed cheaper. That probably was their price reference point, as they compared their price with $399.

https://www.sierra.com/head-raptor-spee ... -raptor%2F

Glad to hear that you no longer have those painful feelings!
AnI

Postby Roundturns » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:54 pm

Those are the boots I have!
Roundturns

Postby HighAngles » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:26 pm

Cool looking boot and at $150, just a ridiculously good deal.

Here's mine: 8)
HighAngles

Postby Roundturns » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:52 pm

Your Raptors are truly one of a kind unique. Really cool stuff.
Roundturns

Return to Gear