Dynastar Intense ski suitable for my wife?

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Dynastar Intense ski suitable for my wife?

Postby andy2667 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:55 am

Hi,

I understand that the Head Supershape iSpeed and the Dynastar Speedzone (14 pro or 12 Ti) are proper skis for leanring PMTS. However, their shortest length model are still too long for my wife who is only 5"2" at 110lb. Therefore, I need to find a ski with shorter length for her, probably a women specific ski in the range of 148cm ~152cm.

She is a developing intermediate skier just started the PMTS journey. She is now using an old model Dynastar with 76mm waist and 148cm long. This ski is already 8 years old and she need to change it/upgrade it in the coming season or so. I am using the Dynastar Speed Zone 14 pro which is a very nice ski for learning PMTS but the shortest length is 166cm. Also, this ski is a bit heavy for her. I browsed through the Dynastar catalogue and note that there is a female specific ski, the Dynastar Intense 12, seems to be equivalent to the Dynastar Speedzone but with women specific design and length suitable for her. Also, there is another model: The Dynastar Intense 10 press which I think is more suitable because I think that the intense 10 xpress 10 would be easier to bend for her weight and is lighter using the lighter xpress binding instead of the SPX binding.

I would be grateful if you can advise you opinion or experience if the Dynastar Intense 12/Intense 10 xpress are similar to the Speedzone 12/14 pro and are suitable for learning PMTS. If both are suitable for learning PMTS, I would probably go for the intense 10 xpress in view of her weight and skill level.

Thanks
andy2667

Re: Dynastar Intense ski suitable for my wife?

Postby Obrules15 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:26 am

andy2667 wrote:Hi,

I understand that the Head Supershape iSpeed and the Dynastar Speedzone (14 pro or 12 Ti) are proper skis for leanring PMTS. However, their shortest length model are still too long for my wife who is only 5"2" at 110lb. Therefore, I need to find a ski with shorter length for her, probably a women specific ski in the range of 148cm ~152cm.

She is a developing intermediate skier just started the PMTS journey. She is now using an old model Dynastar with 76mm waist and 148cm long. This ski is already 8 years old and she need to change it/upgrade it in the coming season or so. I am using the Dynastar Speed Zone 14 pro which is a very nice ski for learning PMTS but the shortest length is 166cm. Also, this ski is a bit heavy for her. I browsed through the Dynastar catalogue and note that there is a female specific ski, the Dynastar Intense 12, seems to be equivalent to the Dynastar Speedzone but with women specific design and length suitable for her. Also, there is another model: The Dynastar Intense 10 press which I think is more suitable because I think that the intense 10 xpress 10 would be easier to bend for her weight and is lighter using the lighter xpress binding instead of the SPX binding.

I would be grateful if you can advise you opinion or experience if the Dynastar Intense 12/Intense 10 xpress are similar to the Speedzone 12/14 pro and are suitable for learning PMTS. If both are suitable for learning PMTS, I would probably go for the intense 10 xpress in view of her weight and skill level.

Thanks

I would probably email HSS and ask. They stock some Dynastar skis for women that are shorter and lighter, I just don't remember specifically which ones. Head also has an Epic Joy with a 65mm waist width that's sort of supposed to be the women's equivalent to the SS iSpeed.
Obrules15

Postby andy2667 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:59 pm

Obrules15 wrote:
andy2667 wrote:Hi,

Thanks

I would probably email HSS and ask. They stock some Dynastar skis for women that are shorter and lighter, I just don't remember specifically which ones. Head also has an Epic Joy with a 65mm waist width that's sort of supposed to be the women's equivalent to the SS iSpeed.

Thanks for advising. Its seems that the Head Joy series is a very interesting ski serious for Women. I intend to find a light weight ski for her to learn PMTS. She is an advancing intermediate not ski fast. Which of the Head Joy series you would recommend? Or there are other more appropriate skis suitable?
andy2667

Postby andy2667 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:58 pm

Just reviewed the head joy series' information. It seems that the Head Super Joy ski is quite suitable for PMTS with 75mm waist, short 12.5m turning radius though it has no metal. The reviews I saw suggested that it is a good craver with good edge hold and is responsive. Yet, it is light. Any experience on this one on leaning PMTS.?
Volkl Flair SC may ben another candidate but a bit heavier.
andy2667

Postby jbotti » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:54 am

The Head ISL non RD comes in a 150cm length. This is a great PMTS ski with a sub 70mm waist and a very tight turning radius (9.4m on the 150). To me this makes more sense than buying a ski that may be less optimal. 75 under foot is much harder to tip than 66 under foot for someone learning PMTS.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Obrules15 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:54 am

andy2667 wrote:Just reviewed the head joy series' information. It seems that the Head Super Joy ski is quite suitable for PMTS with 75mm waist, short 12.5m turning radius though it has no metal. The reviews I saw suggested that it is a good craver with good edge hold and is responsive. Yet, it is light. Any experience on this one on leaning PMTS.?

Diana does not like the Super Joy, nor does she recommend the Volkl's. The Epic Joy is new (it may not be available in the US) but is a very different ski with a significantly narrower waist width. Consider calling or emailing the shop for recs for skis for shorter lighter women.
Obrules15

Postby LiquidFeet » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:38 am

Obrules15 wrote:
andy2667 wrote:Just reviewed the head joy series' information. It seems that the Head Super Joy ski is quite suitable for PMTS with 75mm waist, short 12.5m turning radius though it has no metal. The reviews I saw suggested that it is a good craver with good edge hold and is responsive. Yet, it is light. Any experience on this one on leaning PMTS.?

Diana does not like the Super Joy, nor does she recommend the Volkl's. The Epic Joy is new (it may not be available in the US) but is a very different ski with a significantly narrower waist width. Consider calling or emailing the shop for recs for skis for shorter lighter women.

Do you know what it is about the Super Joy that Diana doesn't like?
LiquidFeet

Postby Obrules15 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:36 pm

LiquidFeet wrote:
Obrules15 wrote:

Do you know what it is about the Super Joy that Diana doesn't like?

I couldn't characterize her response, but she made "faces". Becky also did not do well on that ski. Neither of them (nor am I) are members of the 95# demographic, so it's entirely possible that the issue is that we are too heavy for that ski.

I've asked a few times and never was able to get a clear picture of the issues.
Obrules15

Postby LiquidFeet » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:02 pm

I bought the Head Super Joys. I skied them maybe two half days before the season ended. These days had typical late spring conditions; ice in the am and sticky glop by noon. So I can't tell how I like them yet; will need some time on them this upcoming season to tell. I was looking for a lesser ski than the FIS Atomic slaloms I've got, and more ski than the FX84s. They may be that ski, or maybe not. Good buy however.

I don't know what 95# means...

I would still appreciate a PMTS review of the Super Joys if anyone has spent enough time on them to describe how they perform. It will help me know what to look out for. They are lightweight, but I don't care about that. So are the FX84s. The Atomics weigh a ton, but perform excellently on ice and hard snow, and they cut right through slop. They are stiff, and I can't see myself using them as a daily driver.
LiquidFeet

Postby Obrules15 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:23 pm

LiquidFeet wrote:I bought the Head Super Joys. I skied them maybe two half days before the season ended. These days had typical late spring conditions; ice in the am and sticky glop by noon. So I can't tell how I like them yet; will need some time on them this upcoming season to tell. I was looking for a lesser ski than the FIS Atomic slaloms I've got, and more ski than the FX84s. They may be that ski, or maybe not. Good buy however.

I don't know what 95# means...

I would still appreciate a PMTS review of the Super Joys if anyone has spent enough time on them to describe how they perform. It will help me know what to look out for. They are lightweight, but I don't care about that. So are the FX84s. The Atomics weigh a ton, but perform excellently on ice and hard snow, and they cut right through slop. They are stiff, and I can't see myself using them as a daily driver.

95 lbs

Mostly I was just pointing out that a very light (95lb) skier might have a different experience with that ski, I don't know.
Obrules15

Postby LiquidFeet » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:41 pm

Oh. Well, that would not be me. :)
More like 135#.
LiquidFeet

Postby Max_501 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:46 pm

LiquidFeet wrote:I was looking for a lesser ski than the FIS Atomic slaloms I've got, and more ski than the FX84s.

Did you consider the Head iSL and iSpeed? Why do you have FIS SL skis? Are you racing?
Max_501

Postby LiquidFeet » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:39 am

Hey Max. Thanks for responding. I respect your expertise.
Sorry, OP, for the thread drift....

I bought the race skis a few years ago but never used them. I got them for next to nothing, used, with some edge left. I finally tried them last spring and enjoyed their performance on refrozen melt in the mornings. I can work these skis, meaning, just to be clear, I can work these skis flat or on edge. I can do flat 360s on them at a snail's pace on hard snow as well as make arc-to-arc decambered turns at speed - on glare ice - when no one else is on the slope. They don't perform well in brushed carves at slower speeds, not for me, as they don't want to bend unless they get a lot of pressure.

I bought the Super Joys because I needed a narrower waisted ski than my worn-out FX84s, one that was torsionally stiff and shaped for short radius turns, but not made like a race ski. I needed a new daily driver.

I got the Super Joys at a good price, because they were used, but only barely so. Budget always matters in my life. I am not in the market for yet another ski.

I've been looking for Head Supershape iSpeeds, at 160ish, at a price I can afford, for several years but they just haven't shown up. The Super Joys did. I bought them knowing they might not be the very best of all the skis out there, but that the iSpeeds probably would never show up on my radar at my price point. I also expected the Super Joys would probably be better than the FX84s for what I want to do.

Max, or anybody else reading here, do you know specific things about the Super Joys that you think will disappoint me as I work on my brushed carves/BPSRTs?
LiquidFeet

Postby LiquidFeet » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:01 am

Anybody have any specific things to say about those Super Joys?
LiquidFeet

Postby Max_501 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:01 am

LiquidFeet wrote:I bought the Super Joys because I needed a narrower waisted ski than my worn-out FX84s, one that was torsionally stiff and shaped for short radius turns, but not made like a race ski. I needed a new daily driver.

I haven't skied the Super Joy so can't comment on the ski's characteristics on snow but the 75mm under foot is wider than typically recommended for skiers that are working on rapid development of PMTS fundamentals, especially for skiers that spend a lot of time on firm surfaces.
Max_501

Next

Return to Gear