Dynastar X88 or Head Monster 88?

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Dynastar X88 or Head Monster 88?

Postby JFD » Thu May 10, 2018 10:44 pm

FYI, I am an intermediate skier and just started learning pmts recently. I got a pair of head ss i.speed to learn pmts. I also have a pair Atomic Vantage Cti 90 for off piste etc. I went through some posts in Gear. It seems that the Atomic Vantage Cti 90 isn't a "good" skis for pmts. As such I'd like to get a new pair of all mountain skis. HH recommended Dynastar X88. Some people recommended Monster 88. I am wondering which one is more suitable for an intermediate skier? Other recommendations are welcome too. Thanks very much.
JFD

Re: Dynastar X88 or Head Monster 88?

Postby Max_501 » Fri May 11, 2018 7:43 am

JFD wrote:It seems that the Atomic Vantage Cti 90 isn't a "good" skis for pmts.

Did one of the coaches test this ski and find that it didn't reward PMTS movements? Some of the rockered skis have that issue but the specs and profile views make it look like this ski has a decent amount of camber (desirable for the way we ski). I haven't skied it but looking at the specs I wouldn't give up on it unless its too stiff, soft, or pivoty.
Max_501

Postby jbotti » Fri May 11, 2018 7:55 am

Here is slightly different take. No one knows the joy of buying new skis better than I do. Yes its fun. Having said that, as an intermediate PMTS skier you will help your skiing a ton by staying off wider all mountain skis until you have ingrained the bulk of the essentials into your skiing and they are showing up 90-95% of the time. Where do you ski? Most places other than the PNW and Tahoe (where the snow can be deep and very heavy) just don't require wider skis for off piste skiing. As well you can make a strong case to ski mainly groomers until you have developed PMTS movements that will hold up in off piste terrain.

I know the Monster 88 and own it. A good PMTS skier with strongly developed skills can tip this ski easily. But an intermediate who is still developing strong tipping movements will struggle to tip the Monster 88 enough and then will be pushing the tails (and anything and everything else non PMTS) to make the skis come around. This just reinforces bad habits that you are trying to un-learn.

A good season or two of focused work can easily get one to the point where skiing off piste can be productive. It's still unclear at that point whether the SS i.Speed would better or something like the Monster 88 or X88. Let's remember we are trying to have PMTS movements show up and hold up in more difficult off piste terrain. Most are looking for skis that will make skiing this terrain easier. The only thing that truly makes skiing this easier are the correct movements which are easier to perform on your SS Speeds.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby JFD » Fri May 11, 2018 4:33 pm

Max_501 wrote:
JFD wrote:It seems that the Atomic Vantage Cti 90 isn't a "good" skis for pmts.

Did one of the coaches test this ski and find that it didn't reward PMTS movements? Some of the rockered skis have that issue but the specs and profile views make it look like this ski has a decent amount of camber (desirable for the way we ski). I haven't skied it but looking at the specs I wouldn't give up on it unless its too stiff, soft, or pivoty.

Good point. Thanks.
JFD

Postby JFD » Fri May 11, 2018 4:39 pm

jbotti wrote:A good season or two of focused work can easily get one to the point where skiing off piste can be productive. It's still unclear at that point whether the SS i.Speed would better or something like the Monster 88 or X88. Let's remember we are trying to have PMTS movements show up and hold up in more difficult off piste terrain. Most are looking for skis that will make skiing this terrain easier. The only thing that truly makes skiing this easier are the correct movements which are easier to perform on your SS Speeds.

All good points. I mostly ski in WA and sometimes in Whistler. I will definitely focus on learning pmts essentials most of time.
JFD

Postby SquawHarber » Mon May 21, 2018 2:38 pm

I'd chime in that the Atomic is a perfectly good ski, and if you are an "intermediate" level skier, likely much easier to ski than the Monster 88.
SquawHarber

Postby andy2667 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:24 am

I am a PMTS beginner, have been using the Atomic Vantage 90 CTI for 3 years and the Dynaster Speed Zone 14 for 2 years. The Atomic is a good ski in general and a lot of intermediate skiers (including me) like it a lot. It is solid on piste and can provide some float and Rocket for powder. The rocker design also make it easy to turn (but by pivoting and pushing). It is quite stiff and not easy to bend (maybe I am not heavy enough or not an aggressive skier). Therefore, I don't think it is a good ski for practicing tipping and PMTS. Also, I could not get rebound energy from it when practising short turn. Maybe it is too stiff for me to drive out its performance, or my skill is not good enough to bring out its true potential.

On the other hand, it is easier for me to practice tipping (also releasing) using the Dynaster which also provides me better feel when practising short turn.
andy2667

Return to Gear