Liner laces

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Liner laces

Postby skiffie » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:31 am

Just checking in on something quickly. I put the laces back in my liners (boot and liner set up by HSS) and I felt like it helped stiffen it up and improve contact all around my calf / shin (which was great) but then I felt like I somehow had less control on the hill, couldn't get forward as easily, and had a little more trouble tipping. So maybe the laces just made it too tight? But just wanted to make sure it isn't a red flag that I was doing something wrong...

Thanks!
skiffie

Re: Liner laces

Postby jbotti » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:56 am

I have skied over the years with both laces in and out in a lace up liner. I really don’t notice any difference in how they ski (in or out) with maybe a slight advantage going to laces in. I would guess it’s about something else in your skiing and not the laces. But going into the shell racer style can sometimes get your heel forward and not completely in the heel pocket and this is not good for your skiing. When you enter the shell make sure you rock the whole liner up lifting the heel some and pushing it back down a few times to make sure the heel is all the way back and in the pocket. Some skiers like to kick the heel several times again to lodge the liner into the heel pocket. I find this to be less effective but you should try both. This may be an issue you are having.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Re: Liner laces

Postby skiffie » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:24 pm

jbotti wrote:I have skied over the years with both laces in and out in a lace up liner. I really don’t notice any difference in how they ski (in or out) with maybe a slight advantage going to laces in. I would guess it’s about something else in your skiing and not the laces. But going into the shell racer style can sometimes get your heel forward and not completely in the heel pocket and this is not good for your skiing. When you enter the shell make sure you rock the whole liner up lifting the heel some and pushing it back down a few times to make sure the heel is all the way back and in the pocket. Some skiers like to kick the heel several times again to lodge the liner into the heel pocket. I find this to be less effective but you should try both. This may be an issue you are having.

Ok, thanks! I did notice a difference after I took the laces out - I had a bit less contact but also more mobility in the calf so maybe they were just preventing my ankle from moving / rolling properly because the liner was more snug.

I didn't actually go in racer style - I only put the laces in the upper (calf) section of the liner, so I just put my foot in normally (which is by liner rocking) and then tightened them up. Maybe I will try again sometime.
skiffie

Return to Gear