Head Kore 93/ Update on Rocker

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Head Kore 93/ Update on Rocker

Postby jbotti » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:44 pm

I decided to post this because we still get asked question about tip and tail rocker skis (from time to time). A friend of mine is an old school skier who at age 69 is not looking to change his technique. I told him I would demo a few skis with tip and tail rocker to see if they might be easier for him to ski steeper, more difficult off-piste terrain. The only one I have so far demo'd is the Head Kore 93.

Let me start this by saying that many of tip and tail rockered skis have less in both (tip and tail) than the Rossi S7s, which were the first rave ski that made skiing harder terrain easier for the masses. I hated this ski and for anyone with reasonable PMTS skills it might actually make skiing harder terrain more difficult, but I digress. The Head Kore 93 has quite a bit less rocker that the S7 but significantly more than the "marketing rocker" they had in the Head RNR's. I skied these in some pretty sandblasted windbuff with 1-3 inches of fresh snow on top of it. They were easy to ski and even a little bit fun. The tail rocker made it easy for the tails to come around when brushing and I was able to prevent the skis from pivoting when tipping (something that was very hard to do with the S7). So on the Kore, the tail rocker did not drive me crazy (as it has on many skis usually with more tail rocker) but the tip rocker on this ski really did drive me crazy. No matter how hard one tries there is no platform up front, there is nothing to support you in the tips when you get weight and pressure up there. You can stay forward if you work hard at it but the tip rocker wants to put you in a neutral position (not aft but not forward). Because the tails have some rocker you can get away with being less forward and still brush the skis. But herein lies the problem. I have worked really hard to be forward at the top of every arc and I just don't want a ski that makes it difficult to do this and/or that does not penalize me for not getting forward. Not getting penalized is probably a good phrase here. Many people who are not devoted to PMTS technique may be looking for a ski that will not penalize them for less correct and/or efficient movements. This ski which is what we should probably call Rocker version 3.0 fits that bill and its not terrible for those skiers.

The Kore is very light and it never feels all that substantial. It makes up for that in maneuverability. It also skis really short. I was on the 180cm length and I doubt that the running length on hard snow was much than 155cm. And on hard snow you can lay them over but bending the ski is hard because you can't get and stay forward to bend it. Its just not made that way. But I would call it acceptable gettting around on groomers while you are focused on skiing off piste the bulk of the time. They are way better than Rocker version 1.0 and 2.0 like the S7 that just suck and flap non stop on hard snow. On a powder day on the 189 length (the 180s were really short for me) I'm sure I could have fun on them but not nearly as much as I have on my RNR's (which I still think are the gold standard fresh western snow PMTS off-piste ski).

Evidently Head can't keep these in stock (so they say although there seem to be plenty floating around on Ebay). It makes sense. For a skier that isn't going to improve their movements the Kore 93 is a nice compromise. For PMTS skiers it really is not what we are looking for and if you ski on the east coast you might as well ignore all of this.

In case this brings up further questions on the topic, below is a thread on the subject of rocker and its pros and cons. I have definitely changed my mind on tip rocker and I find skis with any significant amount pretty darn annoying.

Here's the thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3452&hilit=rocker
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Re: Head Kore 93/ Update on Rocker

Postby Roundturns » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:10 pm

Went up the lift this AM here in Pa. and a guy had a pair on. Six Pac chair and he was a couple people down so did not talk with him.
I like the top sheet or lack there of on these skis. Your points well taken regarding the Kore not rewarding PMTS movements.
It just amazes me here on our little frozen bump how many skiers are on wide rockered skis. I have a pair of Cham 107's out at my buddy's condo in Vail and have enjoyed the heck out of them when it snows. But I am also not a very accomplished PMTS skier.
Roundturns

Postby njdiver85 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:51 am

Is the Head RnR that people talk about the Head Rock N Roll skis with the "Motorhead" graphic on the top sheet? I see them on ebay from time to time, including a recent sale of a brand new set of 160's.
njdiver85

Postby jbotti » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:12 am

Yes, the head Rock n Roll.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby CO_Steve » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:15 pm

Although I have a pair of RnRs and have skied and enjoyed them a lot there are conditions they don't work well in. I remember one time at Keystone we had a foot of warm snow one day followed by 10" of lighter but still not fluff the next. In areas where both days were untouched the RnRs went to the bottom and refused to come to the surface. They were quite a handful that day.
CO_Steve

Postby Max_501 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:21 pm

CO_Steve wrote:Although I have a pair of RnRs and have skied and enjoyed them a lot there are conditions they don't work well in. I remember one time at Keystone we had a foot of warm snow one day followed by 10" of lighter but still not fluff the next. In areas where both days were untouched the RnRs went to the bottom and refused to come to the surface. They were quite a handful that day.

The RnR slay every condition I've skied them in, including 2 feet of manky Cascade Concrete. If you are having problems with them it is due to technique or tactics.
Max_501

Postby seskelson » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:08 am

I agree with the comments of Max501 and Jbotti. For what it is worth here are my ( meager) offerings: I'm a patroller for 33 years, current age 64 - closer to 65. And yes, I'm always thinking more tipping, more counter. I know where my weaknesses are.

1. I have owned a Pair of R N R's. I still have them. I guard them carefully and take them out only when conditions warrant. No point in wearing them out. One of my all time favorites. I find it great in fluff as well as chopped crud and heavy powder . What more can I say. A long time favorite of forum members.
2 I owned the successor -- the Venturi. Frankly, I never bonded with that ski and sold it. To me it always seem too stiff and I felt thrown around in crud. Iike the old M88. It was fun on the groomed -- but that's really not the point, is it. I know Harald and Dian really like it, so let's be honest, probably a technique issue on my part.
3. I currently own the Kore 93. I have not had the chance to ski it as much as I'd like this low snow winter. But, at Grand Targhee I have to say I have really liked it. I was concerned about how it would handle chopped up crud, given how light it is. I was very much surprised. Handled it fine for me. It feels - to me- lighter and more forgiving than the R N R, perhaps a bit less tiring.
But that being said, if I were head to the ski area and knew there would be some powder followed by chopped up -- and I could take only one ski -- I'd grab the R N R - at least at this point. My kids and grandkids laugh at me when I call it the Death Star -- it stomps the mountain into submission. Too bad I never see any used ones for sale out there.

Last on the new Monster 88 ( from 2 seasons ago)- I had the original and now have the 2018 model. Yes, the 2018 feels the slightest bit softer. Still plenty of edge hold. And for me it is great in deeper snow. I have several other patorllers on the Monster 88 and all truly like them.
seskelson

Return to Gear