2018 i.speed

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

2018 i.speed

Postby Omid » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:18 pm

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum. Super excited to have found PMTS and such a wealth of knowledge.

I recently got back into skiing and needed new skis. Upon recommendation I purchased RTM86 skis. Shortly after that, I discovered PMTS. Needless to say, as an intermediate who is trying to move forward and start applying what I am learning from PMTS, the RTM86 feel like a one directional rail straight down the mountain. Lots of fun, but the moment I try to slow down to practice any drills, it's all fight.

From what I've seen on this forum the i.speed is a great choice. I was hoping to find some earlier year models for cheaper, but no luck so far so I wanted to ask if there is any reason not to go with the 2018 (aside from the higher price) since I see them still available.

Also, I'm assuming that the 170 is the way to go? I'm 145LBS, 6 ft tall, and just learning to push my tipping further than what I'm used to.

Thanks in advance!
Omid

Re: 2018 i.speed

Postby DougD » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:58 am

Hi Omid and welcome! You've found the one and only teaching system that understands the movements used by the world's best skiers (WC racers) and applies them to recreational skiing.

... the RTM86 feel like a one directional rail straight down the mountain. Lots of fun, but the moment I try to slow down to practice any drills, it's all fight.

No surprise. My old Volkyls skied just like that. Harald has consistently panned most of their models for being too stiff to turn except by rotating.

Important aside: abandon the idea that you're an intermediate skier. Unless you've done race training with a good coach, it's unlikely you're using even the lowest (Yellow) level PMTS movements. Before starting PMTS I called myself advanced (PSIA Level 8+, which is meaningless btw). In PMTS terms I was a barely a novice, as you likely are. The only way to progress in PMTS is to forget everything you think you know about skiing - because most of it is misapplied or just plain wrong. Like 99% of experienced skiers, my first day at PMTS camp was a revelation in embarrassment. I couldn't perform the simplest (looking) maneuvers, even after the coach demonstrated them perfectly. Once I set my ego aside and willingly abandoned old movements, progress could begin. Since then, the journey has been profoundly rewarding.

As to ski length, SL-style carvers like the i.SS Speed should generally be skied shorter than one's all mountain skis. A longer length makes it harder to learn PMTS movements and/or stay on course through SL gates.

When I was shopping for i.SS Speeds (2015-16) and skiing with Diana (a Black Level Coach), she debated 163 vs. 170 for me. I'm 5'10" but only 130lb (skinny). When she asked my weight, the answer tipped her toward 163. This has been a good length for me in this ski. Whether your 10% greater weight would tip the recommendation to 170 is hard to say. It's not all about weight or height. It's also about ability, which is impossible to assess via the internet unless you post video of your skiing. FWIW, Harald skis this model at 170. He's almost exactly your size but in terms of ability he's on a different planet. Due to his abilities, not his size, Harald can take a ski that you or I could barely manage, bend it into clean arcs and make it look easy. (sadly, it isn't!)

So... no definitive recommendation because there's no "perfect" length for any ski/skier combination. It somewhat depends on what you want. For fastest learning of PMTS movements, the 163 might have an edge over the 170. For stability at speed or on steep ice, the 170 would offer some advantage. However, if you're serious about learning PMTS you won't be skiing fast or on challenging terrain for the next couple of seasons, since both of these interfere with learning new movements.

Good luck and again, welcome!
Last edited by DougD on Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
DougD

Postby tigernbr » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:10 am

I agree with everything Doug said. I am about to start day 4 of the green/blue PMTS camp and it has been both humbling and eye-opening. Forget what level you think you are and be willing to start over from scratch.

While having the right skis is important, I think the more important part of your gear is your boots. If you can, plan a trip to Colorado and make an appointment to get your boots aligned by HSS. I don’t know if you own your own boots but if they are old or you don’t own a pair, consider first investing in boots. I was fitted by Diana Sunday before camp and she continued to tweak them through the first couple of camp days. Now, they are damn near perfect. Anyone at HSS is highly qualified to fit and align your boots. Welcome to PMTS!
Last edited by tigernbr on Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
tigernbr

Postby DougD » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:18 am

+1 to tigernbr's boot recommendation at HSS. Easily the most important, impactful investment you can make in your skiing. No non-PMTS certified shop that I'm aware of has the depth of knowledge to do boots correctly, and incorrectly set up boots will impair and may completely disrail your progress.
DougD

Postby jbotti » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:27 am

Yes boots!! I gave up sugar and white flour in September and quickly lost 14 lbs. Went back to my Head RS 140 boots and was swimming in them. Was catching edges and going down way too often (probably 4-5 times over 2.5 weeks of skiing when I hadn't gone down from catching an edge in years). At the end of my ski trip I pulled out my Head B2's which I hadn't been able to get into when I was heavier and they fit fine (needed a small punch). Wow, huge difference. Tightly fitting boots with correctly done alignment is by far the most important gear element in skiing and it goes double for PMTS skiing and learning.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Omid » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:06 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome and all of the insights!

Yes, the intermediate comment was really more of an acknowledgment of the purgatory can't-get-past-this stage level that HH refers to when the technique is basically flawed. Beginner indeed!

I'm in Lange RX130 LV boots. They were fitted to me in Tahoe. There is a tiny bit of work that still needs to be done for comfort, but nothing has been done for alignment, so I'm sure that is still off. The right side especially does not feel dialed in. A bit knock knee'd.

Regarding skis, I'm a bit torn between getting 163 or 170 if I get a pair of i.speeds.

In any case, I totally get it regarding starting from scratch! It's a bummer that right when I'm super motivated to do drills all day, Tahoe (I live in the SF Bay Area) is having one of the worst snow years on record.

Again, thanks for the responses! Lots of work to do! Such a beautiful art to it when the carving is done right.
Omid

Postby Max_501 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:33 pm

Omid wrote:In any case, I totally get it regarding starting from scratch! It's a bummer that right when I'm super motivated to do drills all day, Tahoe (I live in the SF Bay Area) is having one of the worst snow years on record.

Do you have a slantboard for dryland training?

https://harbskisystems.com/pages/slantboard-training
Max_501

Postby DougD » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:00 am

Omid wrote:I'm in Lange RX130 LV boots. They were fitted to me in Tahoe. There is a tiny bit of work that still needs to be done for comfort, but nothing has been done for alignment, so I'm sure that is still off. The right side especially does not feel dialed in. A bit knock knee'd.

Properly fitted and set up, those are good boots for PMTS movements. I ski them too.

Knock knee'd skiers typically require boot-sole canting. Depending on your feet, custom footbeds and/or liners may also be indicated. (Don't get expensive custom footbeds at a local shop unless they understand PMTS requirements. There's a good probability they'll get them wrong.)

The moment time and circumstances allow, get thee to HSS. PMTS experts (like Max_501) and newbies (like me) who waited several years all regret not doing it sooner. The longer you wait, the more adaptive movements you'll build into your skiing - and the longer it will take to unbuild them.

Hope you get some snow!
DougD

Postby BrettBPotter » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:47 am

Omid regarding 2018 lack of winter and snow in the Sierra. There is plenty of snow on the hills in Tahoe to practice the movements. I just began my journey in PMTS as well having first driven to the Harb ski shop for alignment last July and recently completed my first camp at A Basin last month. FYI Mammoth is my second home and while it too is starving for a winter dumping, I just finished 4 days of seemingly endless drills on the groomers without crowds. The system is learned and refined on green and blue groomed slopes!

This guy named Max 501 made it clear by his forum posts that delaying alignment and not starting with book one page 1, you will ONLY DELAY THE PROCESS. And the guy is a bad ass skier.
To be clear, I am number 1 in PMTS (FROM THE BOTTOM), but know that if you follow the program, work hard and verify everything with video you will be amazed.

I asked JBOTTI while skiing in Tahoe recently how long it took him to get a BULLET PROOF SHORT RADIUS BRUSHED TURN. LOL he looked me straight in the eye and said (a couple of years)!!! And he'd been doing PMTS for almost a decade before this!

AS FOR SKIES, Find a used pair that meet PMTS requirement and beat them up. This is not the year to be skiing California mountains on good skies.
BrettBPotter

Postby Omid » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:23 pm

Good to know that the mountain is still drill ready in this warm weather. I'm wouldn't have guessed, but I guess it's all about early part of the day with man made groomed snow.

Point well taken about some used rock skis for this season in tahoe. I do want to get the boots aligned, so maybe a trip to colorado is needed in any case. I'll start looking into dates. However, it would be great to combine boot fitting with a camp...and not sure if that is in the cards. I'll work on it!

Regarding PMTS ready used skis, any ideas? I've done some ebay and other searches for some skis mentioned in the forum but not much look so far.

What are the criteria? SL, shorter length, etc. What else?
Omid

Postby Omid » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:24 pm

Max_501 wrote:
Omid wrote:In any case, I totally get it regarding starting from scratch! It's a bummer that right when I'm super motivated to do drills all day, Tahoe (I live in the SF Bay Area) is having one of the worst snow years on record.

Do you have a slantboard for dryland training?

https://harbskisystems.com/pages/slantboard-training

Not yet, but was planning to build one for sure. Thanks for the reminder Max!
Omid

Postby tigernbr » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:07 pm

If you plan on going to HSS for an alignment, be sure to call or email first and set up an appointment. If you plan on buying boots, be sure to set aside 2 to 3 hours for the entire process, especially if you get custom footbeds. If they recommend them, get them. My right foot is actually slightly twisted from the front to the back. I never knew that until Diana told me!
tigernbr

Return to Gear