PHANTOM permanent base glide by DPS ?

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Re: PHANTOM permanent base glide by DPS ?

Postby Max_501 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:51 am

Darren wrote:It is about a day of travel to get a stone grind plus cost to have had a stone grind to have made edges & bases same height which might have produced best results for ski performance ? Though it would not take long to have the same problem again after skiing 11 days over Christmas the skis were no fun to ski on anymore unless in soft snow.

Have you looked at a base tool like this?

http://skivisions.us/504.html
Max_501

Postby DougD » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:05 am

Max_501 wrote:
Darren wrote:It is about a day of travel to get a stone grind plus cost to have had a stone grind to have made edges & bases same height which might have produced best results for ski performance ? Though it would not take long to have the same problem again after skiing 11 days over Christmas the skis were no fun to ski on anymore unless in soft snow.

Have you looked at a base tool like this?

http://skivisions.us/504.html

Great suggestion. I've had their tools for decades. Like any tool it takes some practice to get a feel for it, but the base flattener is much less likely to screw a ski up than freehanding with a file. Used correctly, it takes a ski down to flat quickly and accurately.
DougD

Postby Darren » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:03 pm

Thanks guys

Is it best to always have a flat ski base ? When I ski I almost always ski with my skis tipping none stop from side to side unless moving in a lift line. It has been a while since my bases were flat so based on subjective thought which is not very accurate. It does seam like my skis are able to tip easier with .5 degree angle not just on the steel edge but also having the .5 degree bevel going past the steel edge & going about .75 of an inch along the base edge. The base of the ski has 3 flat edges. The center of the base is flat with .5 degree base bevel along both edges of the ski. The ski does seam very fast from edge to edge maybe it is my imagination. Though maybe it works the same way as when you put a riser plate under the binding to make the skis tip easier.

I m not sure if the edge would hold as well esp in locked on edge carving by having the bevel in the base. If the side bevel on the base had a rounded shape instead of a flat bevel I do not think the edge would hold as well.

Any thoughts on this, Does anyone ever put a bevel past the edge to reduce tipping resistance for lightening quick edge to edge tipping ?
Darren

Previous

Return to Gear