what level skier for super shape i speed

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

what level skier for super shape i speed

Postby rossymcg » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:50 am

hello all.
what level skier would one be expected to be to be able to use the i speeds and not be over powered by the ski?
rossymcg

Re: what level skier for super shape i speed

Postby jbotti » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:00 pm

The Head Supershape i.speed is not too much ski for intermediate PMTS skiers working on tipping and other PMTS essentials. HSS has put many people that ski at this level on the original Head Supershapes, the SS Kers, the head SS i.Speed. the old Icon TT 80 and the head ISL non RD. Of all of those the softest and most user friendly was the original Head SS (pre Kers).

Of the skis available today off of that list I think its a toss up as to which is better for intermediate skiers versus the ISL non RD or the SS i.Speed. The ISL is a little softer and bends maybe slightly easier but it has a lot of rebound (which most intermediate skiers are rarely producing in their skiing).

Maybe I can put it this way, my older brother is an intermediate skier working to develop PMTS movements with modest skills and I would not hesitate to put him on either the SS i.Speed or the ISL non RD. He would enjoy both and neither would feel like too much ski.

This is the beauty of good recreational slalom carvers. The thing that can be difficult about skiing them is the amount of rebound they can produce when bent aggressively in an arc. By the time an intermediate skier can actually do this and produce a good amount of rebound in their skiing they are already good enough to learn how to handle those forces. Said another way, if they can bend these skis a lot in an arc they are no longer intermediate skiers.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby DougD » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:31 pm

+1

My novice skier partner has tried my SuperShape i.Speeds. While they're longer than what he's used to, he had no difficulties beyond what he has on his own shorter, softer skis.

As John said, certain modern skis manage to combine great responsiveness to correct movements with substantial forgiveness of incorrect movements. The SuperShape i.Speed is definitely one of those.
DougD

Postby LiquidFeet » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:07 pm

Does the Head SS i.Speed do well for light-weight skiers, say 120-145 lbs?
If not, what's the recommended ski for PMTS skiing?
LiquidFeet

Postby jbotti » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:34 pm

Typically lighter and shorter skiers will ski shorter lengths in the SS i.Speed. It's a ski you want to ski short anyway because it is a slalom carver. BTW, Harald weighs 145 lbs so weight has little to do with the equation. I am 6 3" 185 and he can bend any ski better and further than I can.

There is no reason to back away from the SS i.Speed based upon being light.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby LiquidFeet » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:26 am

Thanks.
LiquidFeet

Return to Gear