Ski length

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Ski length

Postby klipsch » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:23 am

Hello all,

I've been lurking for quite some time, but finally decided to join and take the plunge in to the PMTS world. The consensus seems to be that the supershape speed is the current ski to get to learn PMTS. My skiing season is essentially over here on the east coast which means deals can be found on skis. However, it also means that I will not be able to demo them.

I am hoping you all could recommend the proper size i.supershape speed ski. Based on reading, I believe a 170 or 177 length would be best given my weight and some recommendations for "skiing" shorter for the supershape. Please share your thoughts and opinions on ski size.

Stats:
5' 11'' (180cm)
195-200lbs (~90kg)
mid 30's, athletic build (45" chest, 33" waist)
NE skier
skis for fun with family on "blue" and "green" trails
looking to become an efficient skier (not interested in skiing as fast as possible down the mountain/hill)
klipsch

Re: Ski length

Postby DougD » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:02 pm

For this ski and purpose, 177 seems long for a 180cm tall skier. I'd suggest 170.
DougD

Postby jbotti » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:13 pm

Most higher level PMTS skiers and coaches generally choose shorter over longer in most skis and especially in carvers. Usually the nature of the ski (slalom carver) changes some in the longest length. I have skied the 170 SS Speed (2016-17 version) and I'm 6 3 190 with solid PMTS skills and its more than enough ski for almost anyone. PMTS skillset is as important (perhaps more important) than height and weight when it comes to choosing length. In general err shorter than longer. The 170 should be perfect for you.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby klipsch » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:25 pm

Excellent! Thank you both for the responses!
klipsch

Postby François » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:22 pm

The ski comes in lengths 156, 163, 170, 177, 184 from a quick google search. It is a 14 m ski in 170, so a slightly longish sl radius (more SL than GS).

From a Typical DIN chart, adult skiers come in weights (thanks again Google), from 108-125,126-147,148-174, 175-209, 210 and up.

Based on your weight, (and weight is key here assuming reasonable skill, not really short or tall for your weight, not a speed freak or slow poke, etc.), I say 177 if you enjoy skiing on a decent sized hill, 170 if you are stuck on a small hill or are strictly getting a ski to improve your turns and are willing to sacrifice some higher speed fun.

Not a PMTS coach or anything like that, so will accept being over-rulled gracefull.
François

Postby DougD » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:12 pm

Skiers who want typical ski advice can get it on a typical skiing forum or from a typical ski shop. That's not what this forum is for. It's not what the OP requested.

The OP does not have "reasonable" skills. From a PMTS perspective he does not have ANY skills. TTS skiing skills are irrelevant or worse, as anyone who's been to camp knows.

No one ever became a PMTS skier by freeskiing fast down big mountains. Learning PMTS skiing requires doing slow speed drills and short turns on easy terrain. The OP requested ski advice for this purpose and that's what jbotti (an advanced PMTS skier) provided.
DougD

Postby ToddW » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:28 pm

:shock:
François wrote: I say 177.

:shock:

Klipsch,

Consider jbotti's post authoritative. A 170 cm supershape speed is plenty of ski for you. Jbotti has demoed many, many skis over the years and has pretty solid communications with the Harb Ski Systems folks about their thoughts on the skis that they've tested.
ToddW

Postby CO_Steve » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:51 pm

It's been my experience that 170 is almost always the answer in PMTS carvers for average male skiers.
If a ski doesn't work in 170 it's not the wrong size, it's the wrong ski.
CO_Steve

Postby jbotti » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:02 pm

After skiing this years SS Speed in the 170 it's probably best to clear up a common misconception (generally occurring away from PMTS). Francois said that with the 170cm length one would have to be " willing to sacrifice some higher speed fun." Nothing could be further from the truth. The only skiers that would ever find the 170 SS Speed lacking in high speed arcs would be WC racers skiing on ice in gates. Period. HH and Diana can take this ski and go as hard and as fast as they want in serious high angle arcs in the steepest terrain and this ski will deliver everything they need (and its obvious that almost no one else on the forum skis at that level or most places elsewhere for that matter). I have never skied the ski making 25m wide GS or SG turns on the ski so I have no idea if it feels unstable doing that, but skiing the ski in that fashion is contrary to everything we teach and stress in PMTS. And again if you are laying this ski over with high edge angles it is among the most stable slalom carvers I have been on (and I have been on many). Actually it's the most stable slalom carver I have skied. Its an amazing ski.

As was pointed out by Doug,the traditional view on ski length and skis really has nothing to do with PMTS skiing. We arc and bend skis and they pop off the snow when each arc is released. This is not how most people ski.

I did say at one point in my review of this ski that I would consider getting the 177 length. That is only because I own 4 different slalom carvers not including my 2 sets of slalom race skis. Having said the after skiing the 170cm again last month if I get a set (feeling more likely and I DO NOT NEED ANOTHER PAIR OF SKIS!) I will get the 170 length. It really is that good.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Return to Gear