Knock kneed skier: help me chosing adequate boots

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Knock kneed skier: help me chosing adequate boots

Postby Janikest » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:24 am

Hi there,

Following MA and suggestions from other members, i am considering getting new boots. My current setup is comfortable (the insides of my boot has been redesigned because i have very prominent malleolus), but on dryland training, i have noticed i have difficulties tipping my free foot, and often, my stance foot has more angle, and my legs aren't parallel (the infamous A frame that i hate to see on videos of my skiing). I have tried in the past to get rid of this A frame by pulling the knee inside the turn, but it feels like artificially coping with a bad setup. I am pretty sure i am knock kneed because when i stand with feet parallel, my knee slightly roll inward.

The problem is that there is no PMTS bootfitter in Paris. If anyone knows a good bootfitter in Paris or in the "3 Vallées", where i go skiing, that would be a lot helpful. I have read the section regarding boots in ACBAES, about avoiding rotary boots, ramp angle, flex angle, and so on, but i fear buying non optimal boots for PMTS because i lack experience.

I can take some pictures of my alignment and my current ski boots so you guys might be able to help me regarding criteria.
Janikest

Re: Knock kneed skier: help me chosing adequate boots

Postby jbotti » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:13 pm

As has been said numerous times in numerous posts, buying boots online with help from others online is a bad recipe. No boot alone is going to eliminate knock knees when skiing and only alignment canting can fix this issue.

We consistently tell new PMTS skiers to start with book one chapter one to start to learn the correct movements. But all of this is predicated on having boots and alignment that are dialed in by a trained PMTS alignment tech. Certain movements can be impossible to do with bad alignment and/or poorly fitted boots. We certainly love enthusiasm that people bring to get out there and do the work, the drills etc but doing it without the right set up is putting the cart before the horse.

If you really want to take the next step in your skiing start by doing what is necessary to get proper fitting and properly aligned boots. For 99% of people posting on this site this is not going to come close to happening online.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Re: Knock kneed skier: help me chosing adequate boots

Postby DougD » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:17 pm

Your A-frame could be caused by excessive pronation, skeletal alignment issues or both. An expert assessment is necessary before choosing any equipment.

Someone may suggest a good fitter closer than Portes du Ski (Netherlands), but that's not too far to go. I live 1500 miles from Harb Ski Systems, but I won't let any other shop touch my boots. I've used a dozen other shops in 34 years of skiing, including shops used by local racers. None of them had any real understanding. Comparing them to HSS is like comparing kindergarden to university.

If no other suggestions are offered, at least contact HSS to discuss. They're very helpful.

P. S. Listen to jbotti. +++
DougD

Return to Gear