Question about boots

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Question about boots

Postby tigernbr » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:49 am

I am FINALLY getting back to skiing. I absolutely love it but circumstances kept me away for the last 15 years. No more! At the time I stopped skiing, I was skiing greens and blues but I would say my technique was sloppy at best. I learned the usual way beginning with wedging, etc. I seem to remember something about uphill unweighting, whatever that means. Thankfully, I found Harald's website and it looks great! I can't wait to become the skier I always hoped I could be. I plan to take the Green/Blue camp in February 2018 and will come up a day early to be fitted for boots. My question is this: Roughly how much should I expect to pay for boots and a proper fitting?
tigernbr

Re: Question about boots

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:29 am

I recommend calling the shop to get an idea of the process, cost, etc. No matter the cost, it will be money well spent.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby DougD » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:57 am

What Heluva said.

In 34 years of skiing I've used a dozen or more shops. Only one understands bootfitting and alignment. I live 1,500 miles from HSS but I wont let any other shop touch my boots.

Good decision on attending Green/Blue. My partner did that after a 10+ year layoff. It transformed him.

The better you prepare, the more you'll get from camp. Buy ACBAES1 (hard copy or ebook). Start on p. 1 and do *everything* in order until you master each move/drill. The more PMTS movements and drills you learn before camp, the more advanced coaching you'll get.

Enjoy and welcome to the forum!
DougD

Postby tigernbr » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:27 pm

Thanks for the info! I have both ACBAES books and have read through them once. I will go back and read more thoroughly and begin to practice the movements. I also have the ESS videos (1,2 & 3) as well as the ESS Indoors video. My goal is to have as many of the moves down before I get to the camp. Part of the reason I have not skied in so long is that I mistakenly took my partner skiing in PA about 15 years ago and put him in traditional lessons. Needless to say, it did not go well and he is now convinced he HATES skiing. I've at least now got him to agree to go on ski trips if I can make sure he has other things he can do on his own. I don't know if I will ever get him on skis again but I will work on it!
tigernbr

Postby DougD » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:23 am

tigernbr wrote:Part of the reason I have not skied in so long is that I mistakenly took my partner skiing in PA about 15 years ago and put him in traditional lessons. Needless to say, it did not go well and he is now convinced he HATES skiing. I've at least now got him to agree to go on ski trips if I can make sure he has other things he can do on his own. I don't know if I will ever get him on skis again but I will work on it!

Sigh... thats almost EXACTLY what happened to my partner. He and his ex visited Aspen with a group of friends, one of them a PSIA instructor who offered to teach Michael. Unbelievably, he took him to the top of Ajax for his first ski lesson. Mind boggling stupidity. Michael didn't ski again for 10+ years.

After we got together he was willing to try again. I strongly advised him to AVOID lessons until he got to Green/Blue. Did my best to teach him myself using ACBAES. He now ENJOYS skiing... even suggests going before I do sometimes. :D

Are you still in PA? Or...?
DougD

Postby tigernbr » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:45 pm

No, in Louisiana now. One of the most unskiable places in the country (unless you like water skiing)!
tigernbr

Return to Gear