Head Peak 90 vs. (New) Monster 88, etc.

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Head Peak 90 vs. (New) Monster 88, etc.

Postby marsound » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:02 am

I'm looking for an off-piste dedicated ski. Not deep pow dedicated, but can handle new snow.

I've located new Peak 90's in 177 length for cheap. I've seen good reviews on this site for this ski for off-trail. I have the Peak 84's in 170, which are great all-rounders, but I want a little more float and flex for off-trail, especially with all the snow this year.

Questions:

- Enough of a difference with the 84's (especially for off-trail) to warrant the purchase?

- How do they compare to the new Monster 88's? Which is more suitable for mostly off-piste? (The Monsters can also be purchased very cheaply now, too).

- The online shop selling these doesn't carry PRD bindings, but they do have the Tyrolia AAAtack 13 demos, which also have tool-less adjustment for fore/aft. The reviews on these bindings are very good - does anyone have experience with these bindings vs the PRD's?

Thanks in advance for any help!
marsound

Re: Head Peak 90 vs. (New) Monster 88, etc.

Postby jbotti » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:52 pm

The Peak 90 is much softer than the Peak 84 and Monster 88. As a soft snow ski it's fine. Most find it lacking on groomers and or anything remotely hard. I am not a big fan of the ski but in pow it's fine. Monster 88 is a better ski but not better in pow as it's stiffer (way better in chop) but it has massive overlap with the Peak 84.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby marsound » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:06 pm

Thanks jbotti.

I already have a dedicated pow ski so was hoping the Peak 90 would fill in for the majority of days when it isn't deep, but there is new snow that quickly turns into cut-up, crud, soft bumps, and still handle hard snow (sun-baked areas). Sounds like they're a bit too soft...

Wish I'd picked up a pair of Rock n' Rolls when they were available.
marsound

Postby B.Mulligan » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:06 am

Off trail where? Do you live and ski where you get deeper snow frequently in wider spaces? Does off piste also include moguls, tight spaces and firmer or funkier snow?

For me, I like something that works on firm off piste and tight spaces...I spend a lot of time in by wih only two weeks out west, though.

I've skied the head 88, good ski on a bigger more open hill, at least I thought so. But, I liked the atomic vantage 90cti I skied a lot more for the off piste I typically encounter. It's a surprising ski. What do the coaches here like?
B.Mulligan

Postby Roundturns » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:37 am

I have a pair of the Peak 90's and I would not challenge what has been shared regarding the ski in the previous posts. I really have not skied them much, but did when I was skiing in Vail the first week of December this season as there was not a lot of snow and didn't want to tear up my newer skis.

In hindsight I should have got the Peak 84 that received so many great reviews here. I'm not that heavy (172 lbs) but would agree the ski is pretty soft, but I can bend it into an arc which is good. Definitely a decent price value , but there are better firm snow and crud skis to choose from Head. Pretty decent in the bumps I would add. I prefer a narrower waisted ski for just about all conditions except pow.
Roundturns

Postby jbotti » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:40 am

So here is my take on skis and clearly my view is not definitive. Most off piste conditions that most see most of the time include more skied out chop, crud and bumps. All of that IMO is more easily skied with a thinner all mountain ski like the SS Speed or the Blossom White Out. Peak 84 will ski this stuff well also but will be harder in the bumps. If you have very soft day old snow with very soft bumps and soft chop you can make the case that a little wider makes it somewhat easier. So a foot fresh snow that is now skied out (later the same day or the next day where it has stayed cold and is not sun damaged etc) the more preferential ski might be the Head RNR or the Peak 84 or the Monster 88 (the Motive 95 is also a decent ski).

Let's also reiterate that what makes any of the conditions fun and more fun is solid PMTS movements and a high quality BPSRT and the ability to ski it at terminal velocity. I own way too may pairs of skis to start preaching about how 1 ski can do everything, but it can if you have the right movements.

Progress is better made by attempting to ski harder conditions on skinnier skis because you will notice that you suck immediately (when you in fact are sucking). That may be a better place than surviving with poor movements on a wider ski because it encourages one to work the BPSRT harder and do more drills to get there.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby marsound » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:58 pm

jbotti, I totally agree. As my skills have improved, I end up just using my TT80s or iSLs for everything and they've been fine. More than fine. I hadn't taken out my Peak 84's for almost 4 years until this season (I'm in Tahoe), and have only used my pow skis (95/181, pretty soft flex) once this year, and it's an epic year in Tahoe.

I can ski the Peaks in any of the soft conditions I use the pow ski in, they're just more work (due mostly to lack of skill, I'm sure, but somewhat to deep wet sierra snow). The pow ski I have now seems like overkill, so I was looking for something that's just a little more than the Peaks but less bulky and more nimble than my pow ski.

Though I'm sure if I buy something in the upper 80's/mid 90's range I'll end up just storing them for years after this season...
marsound

Return to Gear