Replace my Stockli SX with Head SS i.speed

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Replace my Stockli SX with Head SS i.speed

Postby Cipivts » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:57 pm

Hi all,
Am new to the forum and self taught PMTS rider otherwise advanced level skier living in Switzerland. Have still to attend a camp and since couple of years wishing to go to Austria although never been able to do so until now.
I am skiing since 2011 the Stockli laser sx which together with Nordica firearrow f1 boots were my equipment of choice on groomers for the past years. Going further and experimenting with PMTS (book, dvd, videos) i decided to make a change in equipment this or next season, and so far spent a lot of time to look into options.
I read much of the content on this forum, and realized that first my boots, and especially the 3 buckle design combined with 135 flex keep me a bit upright and i have difficulties flexing the boot forward. I am looking into the raptors 120 as replacement hoping that going to a 4 buckle design will get me back that forward feeling. From flex i know it's difficult to compare, but i loved the firmness of the firearrows so looking for similar feeling.
Any oppinions?

Regarding the skis, i am very comfortable with the laser sx, a very serious ski in my oppion, heavy, stable at high speeds, and allowing easy turn initiation for skiiers with more than intermediate technique. The best i had so far.
But as the time passe, one also wants to progress, so looking at various options, i arrived to the SS i.speed which has very similar characteristics and radius as my stockli, and i am considering giving it a try.
Anybody that tried them could compare them with the stocklis? What should i expect?

Thanks guys!
Cipivts

Re: Replace my Stockli SX with Head SS i.speed

Postby jbotti » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:56 am

Stockli Laser SX is a stiffer than the SS Speed. It has that glued to the snow feel of most Stocklis. Harder to bend than the SS Speed. I prefer the SS Speed. Its easier to bend, has a tighter natural turn radius and skies great off piste whereas the Laser SX is too stiff for off piste skiing (can be skied there but its a handful). As far as edge grip, the SS Speed is not far from the Stockli and you also get a ski that is much easier and much more fun to ski than the Laser SX (which I own and hardly ever ski).
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Cipivts » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:58 am

Wow, i wasn't expected that.

From Head i owned couple of years ago the monster 82 in 172cm, a bit too short for me (182cm 80kg), but by far one of the easiest skis to ski i ever owned. Perfect for piste (although was wobbling at higher speeds, but great for off piste, bumps, slow speed turns or high speed powder ride)

From the monster to the laser SX, it was everytime a major difference, but throughout the years i got so accustomed and adapted my style to the stockli, that i don't realize anymore how stiff it actually is. It's clearly a ski that although given as the more forgiving version of WC laser sx cross ski, it feels very close to a race ski, i mean the closest i felt in my limited experience testing various from stockli, salomon, rossignol, head...

So, then, just to compare, if the i.speed is more flexible and forgiving, what from head would be closer to the laser SX, just for me to compare and take as reference?
Cipivts

Postby jbotti » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:58 pm

Cipivts wrote:
So, then, just to compare, if the i.speed is more flexible and forgiving, what from head would be closer to the laser SX, just for me to compare and take as reference?

That really is the beauty of Head carving skis, at least in the non RD race line they don't make anything that is too stiff so there really is nothing in Head line that is comparable the stiffness of the Laser SX. Perhaps the SS Titan which has been discussed here as a ski that is not for PMTS skiers.
jbotti

Postby Cipivts » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:00 pm

Cipivts wrote:I read much of the content on this forum, and realized that first my boots, and especially the 3 buckle design combined with 135 flex keep me a bit upright and i have difficulties flexing the boot forward. I am looking into the raptors 120 as replacement hoping that going to a 4 buckle design will get me back that forward feeling. From flex i know it's difficult to compare, but i loved the firmness of the firearrows so looking for similar feeling.
Any opinions?

Great, thanks a lot,
What about boots, are the raptors 120 something i should consider? I will go try of course, and only if all good i will buy, but are they something to consider?
Cipivts

Postby jbotti » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:29 am

Commenting on your boot set up online is almost always a mistake. The Raptor line of boots is very good with geometries that work well for PMTS skiers but there is so much more that goes into choosing the right boot and that is before we even talk about alignment work. Others on this forum can tell you where you can find a good PMTS bootfitter in Europe but that is how you should start the process of finding new boots.
jbotti

Postby ToddW » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:00 pm

For a good boot fit and alignment in Europe, Jasper and Guus at Portes du Ski (http://pmts.nl) in the Netherlands are the guys to guy to. It's worth the time and expense of the travel.
ToddW

Postby Cipivts » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:02 am

Thx a lot for advice on the boots, think will plan for a trip to amsterdam during summer, and arrange to go to rotterdam and buy - fit some boots for next season.

So, i rented the SS i.speed 170cm model 15-16 and tested them today. I was immediately blown away by the flexibility, edge grip and unbelievable speed. Edge to edge is effortless, and carving is like changing to 6th speed, woww.. it is so fast and so smooth over small bumps that i got tired after half a day, totally takes skiing to a different level. I'm not used going this fast. Think i'm going buy them, store offered them brand new for test, think they're looking to get rid of old models... so i might get a good price.

Think now i also need a better controllable fitted boot. Mine at 100mm last it's a bit to wide and loosing a bit control and that front pressure, sometimes edge control is not easy (3 buckles nordica firearrows).. but that's next step.

And think i have to polish my pmts skills and definately join the austria camp next year!
Cipivts

Postby DougD » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:52 pm

Cipivts wrote:Thx a lot for advice on the boots, think will plan for a trip to amsterdam during summer, and arrange to go to rotterdam and buy - fit some boots for next season.

Good decision.

So, i rented the SS i.speed 170cm model 15-16 and tested them today. I was immediately blown away by the flexibility, edge grip and unbelievable speed. Edge to edge is effortless, and carving is like changing to 6th speed, woww.. it is so fast and so smooth over small bumps that i got tired after half a day, totally takes skiing to a different level. I'm not used going this fast. Think i'm going buy them, store offered them brand new for test, think they're looking to get rid of old models... so i might get a good price.

All true, but another good thing about this ski is that it responds instantly and accurately to PMTS movements when sking slowly... even very slowly. Skiing fast is fun, but there's no substitute for slow speed drills to practice & verify correct movements. The i.SS Speed is a great ski for this.
DougD

Postby Cipivts » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:05 pm

100% on that, i think i got carried away with the speed, but nothing beats good old edge to edge slower carving! Will buy and get more time on them.

For the boots, before i call the Dutch guys for appointment, do they have good selection? Worth buying there or shoukd i buy and gor for the fit?
Do the hold head RS raptor line? (This only in case you know)
Cipivts

Postby chris719 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:22 pm

Cipivts wrote:100% on that, i think i got carried away with the speed, but nothing beats good old edge to edge slower carving! Will buy and get more time on them.

For the boots, before i call the Dutch guys for appointment, do they have good selection? Worth buying there or shoukd i buy and gor for the fit?
Do the hold head RS raptor line? (This only in case you know)

You should buy the boots that fit you the best. That may not be a Raptor, it could be a Lange RS, Dalbello DRS, Nordica Dobermann, etc. Buying the boot first without any knowledge of your foot and also stance requirements is going about it the wrong way.
chris719

Postby Cipivts » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:00 pm

Bought the skis! Very happy!
I will take the advice on the boots. Thx
Cipivts

Postby Cipivts » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:42 am

I called portes du ski today and i was very surprised when theytold me they don't hold any of the sportier boots on stock and that it would be better for me to buy the boots i like and go there for fitting. I am a bit dissapointed cause i was hoping to be on goodtrack getting the perfect boots.. but it seems i am not.. any advices?
Cipivts

Postby Petter_F » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:57 pm

Cipivts wrote:I called portes du ski today and i was very surprised when theytold me they don't hold any of the sportier boots on stock and that it would be better for me to buy the boots i like and go there for fitting. I am a bit dissapointed cause i was hoping to be on goodtrack getting the perfect boots.. but it seems i am not.. any advices?

No advice here, sorry.

I can understand your disappointment in them not having anything in stock for you. It could be that it's getting closer to the end of the season and they're not stocking up again. I went last November to get some boots and tried on two pair before trying on a third, or was it a fourth pair that fitted so well that I got them. It's not a huge sporting store so I can understand they don't want to buy up huge at the start of the season to not be able to offload it at the end of the season. I'm just guessing though.

I hope you can still find your ultimate boot though, somehow. :)
Petter_F

Postby willwingpang » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:37 am

Hi Cipvits

This post is a little off topic but where in Switzerland do you live in?

I'm currently in Zermatt working as a ski instructor. Super nice place.

Perhaps we can bump (ski) into each other one day.

HG, WWP
willwingpang

Return to Gear