Head SS I.Speed 2016/17 170cm

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Head SS I.Speed 2016/17 170cm

Postby jbotti » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:09 pm

I had the pleasure of skiing a Head SS Speed 170 today for about two hours. !4m TR and these were mounted with PRD 12 bindings and skied right on the line. Wow, great ski and I like it quite a bit better than the previous version (which was a wonderful ski). This ski hand flexes stiffer than my 15/16 ISL non RD. Its also damper than that ski and maybe not quite as much rebound. But with the dampness comes some amazing stability and awesome edgehold (Graphene?). It is one of the most confidence inspiring skis in the 170 length that I have skied. I felt really comfortable arcing turns at speed on steeps because it felt so secure and stable. The ski bends nicely and the 14 TR easily bends to 12.5ish. Took it off piste into Montana chop and some windbuff and it skied great. Really stable, really quick edge to edge and in general a super and fun off piste ski. I would also like to try the 177 length which might be great for me at my height and weight (6 3" 190) but I could easily ski the 170 all day most days and its hard to beat that tight TR!

I don't need any new skis so I doubt I rush out to buy a pair (and I have been known to say that and buy one an hour later), but anyone with decent PMTS skills will love this ski.

For those looking for the replacement ski for the TT80 this is it, only better.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Re: Head SS I.Speed 2016/17 170cm

Postby Petter_F » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:17 pm

jbotti wrote:... but anyone with decent PMTS skills will love this ski.

I don't have decent PMTS skills yet, ;) and naturally want a ski that will help my progression. Maybe the i.Speed would suit anyway...

I'm trying to whittle down a short list of suitable skis as they start to pop up on sale, and the iSpeed is one of the more common models to get here in Europe. Although I often hesitate, not knowing if the recent iterations of Supershapes are too demanding/stiff for my level of skiing.

I'm a light weight at 150lb and 6' tall, still an early stage PMTSer self taught, although finally had a few lessons recently on the dry slope at Porte de Ski in Holland. Am not a speed freak, read ‘skis carefully'.

The short list:
SS i.Speed 16/17 170cm
SS Rebels i.SLR - have found a great deal on a pair of 165cm, but maybe too short? (11.5 radius)
Dynastar Speed Zone 14 or 12 166cm (15m radius)

I’ve searched recent posts and it seems these are the usual suspects. Are they the viable skis for me given my ski level, or are there any others that would sit well on this list as well?

Cheers.
Petter_F

Postby dtrick924 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:55 pm

Petter_ F, if you are looking for a PMTS leaning ski check out the Head Link. https://www.levelninesports.com/head-th ... pro-r-skis
Harald recommended it in his "Best Peformance Skis 2011/2012 by Harald Harb" reviews.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3432&p=35185&hilit=Best+Performance+Skis+2011%2F2012#p35185

Head Link
A true “turn by itself” PMTS, Direct Parallel ski. Tip this ski with your feet and ankles and you will ski the easiest turn yet produced. New for 2011-12, the Link is designed to help learning skiers by turning with a minimum of input effort. The combi-sidecut — 4m tip, xx underfoot — helps to pull the ski in a tight arc.

We tested these and were astonished at how well they respond to PMTS technique. Just a little tipping toward the little-toe edge with the inside foot and — Poof! — they turn as if by magic. Fabulous! Plus, as you learn to tip more aggressively, they carve with great edge hold. If you are a learning skier who aspires to making controlled turns on groomed runs, give this ski a try.

I'm a cautious, intermediate PMTS skier, 5'1, 140 lbs skiing the 159 cm length. I've attended 3 Harb camps and had my alignment done. This is my fourth season on the Head Link and it's a really nice, easy flexing ski. I was also worried about some of the more high performance skis being too stiff for me before I bought these.
dtrick924

Postby rwd » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:06 pm

Petter_F wrote:
jbotti wrote:... but anyone with decent PMTS skills will love this ski.

I don't have decent PMTS skills yet, ;) and naturally want a ski that will help my progression. Maybe the i.Speed would suit anyway...

I'm trying to whittle down a short list of suitable skis as they start to pop up on sale, and the iSpeed is one of the more common models to get here in Europe. Although I often hesitate, not knowing if the recent iterations of Supershapes are too demanding/stiff for my level of skiing.

I'm a light weight at 150lb and 6' tall, still an early stage PMTSer self taught, although finally had a few lessons recently on the dry slope at Porte de Ski in Holland. Am not a speed freak, read ‘skis carefully'.

The short list:
SS i.Speed 16/17 170cm
SS Rebels i.SLR - have found a great deal on a pair of 165cm, but maybe too short? (11.5 radius)
Dynastar Speed Zone 14 or 12 166cm (15m radius)

I’ve searched recent posts and it seems these are the usual suspects. Are they the viable skis for me given my ski level, or are there any others that would sit well on this list as well?

Cheers.

If you can find a Head X-shape STX in 170, viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5004&hilit=head+x+shape+stx, it's a great PMTS learning ski, and it continues to be a fun ski when your skills improve.
rwd

Postby Petter_F » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:03 pm

rwd wrote:If you can find a Head X-shape STX in 170,

dtrick924 wrote: check out the Head Link.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've searched long and hard for both of these skis and they are either out of stock or don't deliver to Europe.

Still looking... ;)
Petter_F

Return to Gear