Gear from this year's ski testing.

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Gear from this year's ski testing.

Postby h.harb » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:45 pm

First, I can say that there are many very good boots on the market. Some have more versatility like cuff canting, others less. Salomon for example, has little or no cuff canting and their rivets are so large we can not retrofit our adjustment rivets to them. Cuff canting or cuff alignment has become more and more important as boots get more aggressive with fit and shape. We found the Langes to have a great series of advanced intermediate to Expert skier boots, from the XT, low volume, to the RS and RP race boots. The RS 130 is a step in ski away type boot and you don't have to do tons of fitting.

Head boots continue to fit well and impress with many included features like double cuff alignment off set screws, pull tab fitting aids, great comfort.

Also Nordics had great fitting boots in the Doberman RS version.

As far as wide skis we enjoyed the new totally different design Dynastar X88. It's a powder, crud, off piste ski that really turns and performs like the Movement, Jam of old, even on the front side. they come in 166, 173, 180, 186, with R 18 in 180 cm length. I skied the 170cm, with about a 15 radius worked on hard snow. We will carry a few pair and can always order them if we run out. Get on board early if you are interested in these, I have a feeling these will disappear fast. Also, we will carry the Dynastar, Speed Zone 14, which I really liked last year and Diana loves hers, she is skiing a 174cm. I have a pair as well. I still ski my Super Shape Speed 170cm, as my daily driver, great ski and it felt almost smoother for the 2017 model. I still have a 170cm iSL rebel that rocks when I want to just go out and carve. This is a quick review, hated the K@, flimsy skis. One pair of Nordica Skis the 74cm under foot high end ski was good fun, as was the beer league Volkl sl.

But you can carve a 170cm Super Shape iSpeed if you work at it. Some guy, on Facebook said I photo shoped this picture. Some people just don't get it.
h.harb

Re: Gear from this year's ski testing.

Postby jbotti » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:40 pm

Awesome! I was going to shoot you an email to find out what you liked at SIA. This is better. Thanks.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby HeluvaSkier » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:10 pm

Awesome. Post I've been waiting for since I saw you were at the show!
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby chris719 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:02 am

Sounds good! Any updates to the Dalbello DRS boots? Assuming not since they were already new.

Also curious if the DRS 130 shares the same geometry as the WC version (i.e. ramp and forward lean)?
chris719

Postby Saney » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:04 pm

Dear Harald,
Could you please explain in details your opinion about WC Rebels iSl 2017?
Thanks in advance!
Saney

Postby h.harb » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:03 pm

The snow was slightly scraped off today, so I took out my ISL Rebels and loved them. Mine are 170cm. The 165cm is just a little too tight a turn to make all day long for me. Diana skis a 165cm loves it. It does everything, slow brushed carve and quick power carved turns on ice. We sold out of the Super Shape iSpeed, and have only 2 pair of iSL Rebels left, 170cm.

The 130 Dalbello DRS is the same as the medium and soft, just thiner and slightly softer PU Plastic. My preference if you are going to a 130 is the Lange RS 130. Fits great and snug without all the punching and stretching work. I will have a pair of those next season.
h.harb

Postby DougD » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:22 pm

Great info. Please make this a sticky. Otherwise, new PMTSers will have to rely on Max_501 finding it for them when they need gear advice. :lol:
DougD

Postby Saney » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:47 pm

Dear Harald,
Thanks for the fast and interesting reply.
Did you explain regarding iSl 2017 or previous one?
I ask that because on the forum possible to find not so positive opinions about iSl 2017.
Saney

Postby h.harb » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:15 am

My skis are the 2016-17, which is what we have in the store. They had no 2018 models to test, but the word from Head is, no changes.
h.harb

Postby chris719 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:04 pm

Saney, I think the word is the 2016-2017 (models with "graphene") were snappier than the previous year, but sounds like they are still usable.
chris719

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:42 am

What is the difference between the Head i.Supershape and the Supershape i.Speed?

And, whatever happened to the Rev 80Pro? What would be a good replacement?

thanks
go_large_or_go_home

Postby jbotti » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:23 am

The Rev 80 Pro is no more although from time to time they appear on Ebay. The I.Supershape is also no more. This was the original Head SS that was the favorite PMTS ski. The Head Supershape i.Speed is what was formally called the Super Shape Speed and it is a excellent slalom carver with a wider TR than the old SS (14m vs 12.4 for the old SS) and it is a current model. Head has another ski called the WC Rebels i.Speed which is a different ski. Its a cheater GS ski with an 18M TR in the 180 length.

Confused enough yet? Head has done a poor job in naming their skis.
jbotti

Postby jbotti » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:28 am

Good replacements for the Rev 80 pro or the old IM 78 have been somewhat elusive for HSS. For good skiers the Blossom White Out is a wonderful ski at 77mm underfoot and a 15m TR. If you want to go wider HSS carries the Dynastar Legend X 88 which they very much like. I have not skied it. The SS i.Speed has solid all mountain capabilities as long as it doesn't get too deep. The Stockli Laser AX is a very user friendly all mountain ski at 78mm under foot. Bear in mind the only that HH and Diana have skied and endorse is the legend X 88 (and of course the SS i.Speed).
jbotti

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:04 pm

Great..thanks jbotti...
The Blossom White Outs look awesome...seem to be quite hard to find....
go_large_or_go_home

Postby jbotti » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:21 pm

Pretty available in the states. Not sure about the UK.
jbotti

Next

Return to Gear