Gear from this year's ski testing.

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Re: Gear from this year's ski testing.

Postby Angus Grizzly » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:09 pm

Re Blossom skis in the UK: Nigel at Ski Bitz based in Bognor Regis is the UK distributor (I don't have the number to hand but an internet search will find him). I only found him a couple of weeks ago but I am currently in Morzine testing a pair of White Outs 176 and Great Shapes 170 that he kindly lent me. Both fine skis by the way and I will be buying a pair of the White Outs when I get back.
Angus Grizzly

Postby Bun-chan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:53 pm

Interesting discussions.

I (57 yr old; 175cm = 5' 9"; 155 lb) ski a pair of Super Shape i.Speed 163cm (TR 13.5m). I love them. I thought they were 2016 model, but they seem like 2015. In any case, a good skier (a former racer; 69 yr old) that I met has a pair of i.Magnum (green one). He said i.Magnum is his first non-racing type skies and much easier for him to maneuver. He also said i.Speed may be too much for him at his age.

In the meantime, a Head U.S. rep that I spoke with said Super Shape skies are not that much different. I was inclined to buy a pair with a relatively narrow width under foot. My old Dynastar Speed 63mm (178cm in length). The i.Speed is 66mm. Other Super Shape skis are much wider.

But, does anyone know if, let's talk within Super Shape series for now, those skis have significantly different performances?

I ski primarily in East, so snow we have is either heavy/mist or icy. I also ski groomed trails. Given the fact that I am not as strong and energetic as I used to be (age thing), would anyone recommend alternatives to i.Speed? Or, should I just choose a shorter pair?

Again, I love my i,Speed 163cm. They are fun to ski. But, in terms of my next pair down the road as I age, I wonder what type of skis I should be looking for. Any advice or suggestion would be appreciated.
Bun-chan

Postby jbotti » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:08 pm

The Head Super Shape series currently contains 3 skis. The one you have the SS i.Speed, the SS Magnum and the SS Titan. The Magnum is 73cm underfoot and it skies on the stiff side for what we are looking for. The SS Titan is 80m underfoot and it's a ski that Harald has said will limit one's development as a skier. You have the best ski. Stick with it.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Bun-chan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:48 pm

jbotti wrote:The Head Super Shape series currently contains 3 skis. The one you have the SS i.Speed, the SS Magnum and the SS Titan. The Magnum is 73cm underfoot and it skies on the stiff side for what we are looking for. The SS Titan is 80m underfoot and it's a ski that Harald has said will limit one's development as a skier. You have the best ski. Stick with it.

Thank you!! I will stick with my pair.
Bun-chan

Postby Roundturns » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:14 am

Agree with the Supershape ski advice given. 57 was 6 years ago for me! I 'd suggest you have a bunch of strong skiing years ahead of you!
Roundturns

Postby Bun-chan » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:06 am

Roundturns wrote:Agree with the Supershape ski advice given. 57 was 6 years ago for me! I 'd suggest you have a bunch of strong skiing years ahead of you!

Thank you!
Bun-chan

Previous

Return to Gear