Buy new boots now or wait until next year?

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Re: Buy new boots now or wait until next year?

Postby nickia » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:17 pm

l2ski wrote:
nickia wrote:After all your raving about how good HSS alignment is, I'm seriously considering going to HSS for a week and get few private lessons. I e-mailed HSS and will figure out if they have any openings this month. :D

I did exactly that. I flew out to Colorado just to have my alignment done
in Nov 2014 and for 1 day of skiing.

They get booked very fast for camps and privates. I missed the registration for the camps
this season because I waited one day just after they announced the schedule.
I immediately inquired about privates but they were also booked.

This speaks volume of the quality of teaching of PMTS and HSS! I've decided on my April trip after seeing so many glowing reviews and encouragement to go there :D

My Lange boots also arrived. Holy cow, it was a nightmare to put it on. It took me 5 tries over 15 minutes. When I saw Harald's video about how to put on ski boots, I thought it was because some people have inflexible ankle. Now I know why a video is needed :lol:

I did the shell test, the 24.5 is definitely out of the running as it has 2cm of gap at the heel. The 23.5 has 1cm or under. The 23.5 fits very snugly. My toes are abit curled but I think the boots will pack out. I also remeber Jbotti saying the boots should not feel comfortable at the beginning because it will be too big once it packed out.

I'm very excited to try this on snow and see how different it will feel. I can already feel more control as my old boots flops around when I tried to tip or pull back especially in the steep. I've downsized 3 sizes. I wonder what is the largest record? :)

Thanks Obrules15 for letting know about plug boots and thanks Jbotti for finding me a pair of heavily discounted non plug boot.
nickia

Postby Obrules15 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:19 am

nickia wrote:
The 23.5 has 1cm or under. The 23.5 fits very snugly. My toes are abit curled but I think the boots will pack out. I also remeber Jbotti saying the boots should not feel comfortable at the beginning because it will be too big once it packed out.

Heat will be your best friend. I'm pretty sure I caused my liners to pack out fast with a little too much heat. I would turn the passenger side base heat to high in my car put the boots under the blowers then cover the area with my large insulated coat to trap the heat. Very nice for a 2 hour drive to the hill.

If you live too close for that, the heated boot bags are nice or the boot dryers will also warm the boots if left over night and the boots are in some kind of bag or enclosed space so the heat doesn't leak. The heated bags and portable dryers also have car adapters so the boots don't cool off on the drive up but they are not strong enough to work fast so you still have to heat them overnight.

Make sure your goggles are not near the heating element in the heated boot bag (found that out the hard way last week). The heated bags are safe (for boots), and temp controlled forced air registers should be safe (don't know what would happen if you covered boots on a forced air register) but if you are just placing them near radiators be careful not to melt your shells!

Haven't figured out an easy way to get them off yet, and a blow dryer does not fit in my bag, anybody else have any good suggestions for minimizing pain and foot damage from *trying* to remove cold boots?
Obrules15

Postby kirtland » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:52 am

Haven't figured out an easy way to get them off yet, and a blow dryer does not fit in my bag, anybody else have any good suggestions for minimizing pain and foot damage from *trying* to remove cold boots?

Debooter here: https://www.outdoorlogicsolutions.com/
kirtland

Postby Obrules15 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:06 am

kirtland wrote:
Debooter here: https://www.outdoorlogicsolutions.com/

Does the Debooter work if you remove your boots race syle (liners tied on)?
Obrules15

Postby DougD » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:14 pm

nickia wrote: The 23.5 has 1cm or under. The 23.5 fits very snugly. My toes are a bit curled but I think the boots will pack out. I also remeber Jbotti saying the boots should not feel comfortable at the beginning because it will be too big once it packed out.

How do the liners fit when out of the shells? If the liners force your ties to curl more than a little, they may not pack out enough to give you appropriate length.

In that case, Lange MAY make a 24.0 liner that would fit in a 23.5 shell. A Lange dealer would know (or could find out).

Another (better) solution would be a custom liner (eg, Intuition Pro Tongues). That's what HSS made for me when my stock Lange liners packed out so much that I no longer had good ski control. Much better than even brand new stock liners. Perfect fit, warmer and far more responsive to foot/ankle movements.
DougD

Previous

Return to Gear