Binding Mounting Point

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Binding Mounting Point

Postby apache67 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:04 pm

Hey Folks,

Looking for some advice on mounting up some Tyrolia PRD12s on skis. What are some thoughts with respect to where to mount the plates in terms of center of the ski? I have read where the bindings should be mounted here. Others suggest mounting center of the binding where the ball of foot is centered on the center of ski running surface. What mounting technique (if any) tends to be PMTS approved/friendly?

Thanks!
G
apache67

Re: Binding Mounting Point

Postby jbotti » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:43 pm

PRD plates are adjustable plates. This means that when you put PRD or PRX bindings onto those plates you have the ability move them 3-4cm in either direction. The plates get mounted in the same spot but the bindings can be moved around easily. The correct way to mount the plates is using a Head jig. Go to a shop that carries Head skis and have them mount the plates for you. What you don't want to do is mount the plates forward or behind the center line (because the plates allow you to do that with the bindings).
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby apache67 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:52 pm

jbotti wrote:PRD plates are adjustable plates. This means that when you put PRD or PRX bindings onto those plates you have the ability move them 3-4cm in either direction. The plates get mounted in the same spot but the bindings can be moved around easily. The correct way to mount the plates is using a Head jig. Go to a shop that carries Head skis and have them mount the plates for you. What you don't want to do is mount the plates forward or behind the center line (because the plates allow you to do that with the bindings).

I am familiar with them (have a SS with PRX bindings). Would prefer to get the best mount for the plate without biases one direction or another. If it ends up being center of plate to center of ski then so be it. Just looking for opinions and/or additional insights.

Cheers,
G
apache67

Postby jbotti » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:42 pm

You definitely want the plate mounted center (which is where the head jig puts them). Hard to imagine that you would need more that the 3-4cm of movement in each direction that you already get with this system.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby apache67 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:50 pm

jbotti wrote:You definitely want the plate mounted center (which is where the head jig puts them). Hard to imagine that you would need more that the 3-4cm of movement in each direction that you already get with this system.

Roger that!
apache67

Postby Vailsteve » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:36 pm

As jbotti says, center mount the plate, and then attach/slide the the heel and toe bindings the plate.

I am sure you know this but make sure the DIN settings and forward pressure is set to your skier ability/type.

Now the beauty is you can play play play with the settings...as long as you adjust both the toe and heel prices the same-- one, two,three etc notches forward ( or back) , the release settings don't change.

Note or write down the "neutral" setting,take an easier groomer run. Adjust one notch. Take another run. Rinse and repeat. More than likely you will feel a dramatic difference moving the binding a little forward.

As jbotti mentioned In another thread, different skis often become "alive" with the bindings moved a couple of notches/ clicks forward. My stockli's are three notches forward. COMPLETELY different ski now.

Vailsteve.
Vailsteve

Postby marsound » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:59 am

My preference is skis with metal - bindings forward, no metal, neutral or back.

YMMV
marsound

Postby apache67 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:20 pm

Resurrected this thread a bit concerning the mount points with these Tyrolia PowerRail plates. There is a faint line where it looks to be the middle of the plate. I can't discern if these marks are molding marks or actual marks showing the mid-point of the plate itself. The online manual for Head/Tyrolia leaves a lot to be desired with respect to these kinds of questions.

Thanks!
Greg
apache67

Postby JMD » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:37 pm

Hi Greg. I looked at a set of powerail plates on a couple sets of skis I own. I noticed the faint line on the plastic outer plate you mentioned. This faint line is not the binding center line mark lining up on the skis center line. You will need to measure a pair of skis already mounted or use the recommended mounting jig.
JMD

Return to Gear