Elan SLX is just a great ski

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Elan SLX is just a great ski

Postby Basil j » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:49 am

I have the 2011 or 2012 version of the SLX in a 170cm and I had forgotten what a great all around ski this is.It is not the amphibio version. I bought this ski 3 years ago and used it exclusively for that whole winter.I used it sparing 2 seasons a go because we had a great snow year. Last year we had little snow and I had few ski days and I used my motive 80's and my chrome 74"pretty much most of the season. My daughter is struggling with her Slalom this year so I went out and we drilled two footed releases, javelin turns and worked on deep flexing to release her turns with a no pole plant for the afternoon. She enjoyed the drills and started to feel and get back to the type of skiing she had finished last season with. Her current coach has had her open up her stance a bit and I feel like she has become 2 footed and has lost some of her outside ski edging. The drills started to sink in, but while we doing them,I was blown away at what a great ski the SLX is.I had forgotten the great sensation of ripping around on a slalom ski and it really is the most Drill friendly ski I have out of the 3 I own. I am going to start using it more regularly as it is a little more work than my other skis, but much more exhilarating and fun. Anyone else have experience with this ski.? I feel like they limited their customer base when they went with the amphibio design (dedicated right & left ski)and it's popularity dropped.
Basil j

Re: Elan SLX is just a great ski

Postby jbotti » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:17 am

Yes great ski. Stiffer than the Head ISL non RD and less user friendly. For those with solid skills the ski definitely delivers. Most developing PMTS skills will be better served on the SS Speed or the ISL non RD last years vintage and older.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Basil j » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:14 am

I never had the pleasure of skiing a head Slalom ski. When my Elan starts to lose it's camber I will try one out. I like the Elan because feedback is immediate. There is no hiding of inefficiencies while skiing it. if I get back or am late I know right away. Edge grip is superb as is the nice smooth rebound between turns. What I really like about it the most is that it is a good ski at slow speeds as well as high speeds.
Basil j

Postby CO_Steve » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:42 pm

I agree. I had a pair, let my son ski them and they were gone. Bought two more in last years ebay blowout.

I actually found myself taking other skis out to work on my technique. Skis that demanded perfect movements to perform.
Skiing the SLX for me almost makes it too easy.
When the people you ski with every day notice a difference in your skiing you've found your ski.
CO_Steve

Return to Gear