Stockli Laser AX vs Blossom White Out

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Re: Stockli Laser AX vs Blossom White Out

Postby apache67 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:28 pm

Getting this (or trying to get should I say) for my GF. She Likes the colors of the White Out. As a guy, you can't argue colors with a chick :)

Cheers,
G
apache67

Postby mjjmjj » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:51 pm

I've been a long time skier of the Kastle MX78 which is my goto ski for PNW skiing. It is showing signs of age now and I was (believe it or not) actually considering replacing it with the same again (a new MX78 can be had right now for under $450 USD). However, I'm intrigued by the comments on the Blossom. Is anyone able to characterise the differences between the Blossom and the MX78? I normally try to demo (I rented the MX78's for a full day before deciding to purchase) where possible but this doesn't appear to be an option with the Blossoms. Any and all comments appreciated!
mjjmjj

Postby jbotti » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:21 am

I own an MX78. Its a wonderful ski. Flex pattern is on the stiff side and I consider it a little too stiff when taking it off piste. The Blossom is less stiff but has edge hold that is actually better that the Kastle. Its a great off piste ski because of the flex pattern. The blossom also has a tighter turn radius and is easier to bend into a tighter arc. The MX78 will bend but it requires more speed and it still won't bend as tight as the blossom. IMO the Blossom is a better made ski (better edge hold and better flex pattern) and substantially more versatile.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby hobbes » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:53 am

mjjmjj wrote:I've been a long time skier of the Kastle MX78 which is my goto ski for PNW skiing. It is showing signs of age now and I was (believe it or not) actually considering replacing it with the same again (a new MX78 can be had right now for under $450 USD). However, I'm intrigued by the comments on the Blossom. Is anyone able to characterise the differences between the Blossom and the MX78? I normally try to demo (I rented the MX78's for a full day before deciding to purchase) where possible but this doesn't appear to be an option with the Blossoms. Any and all comments appreciated!

I owned an MX78, and also both the Hart Phoenix and Hart Pulse, both Blossom-made skis. Agree with jbotti about his characterization in general, but would offer a slightly different perspective from the standpoint of "feel". The MX78 always felt to me like an "unperturbable" ski ... no surprises, superb ability, and a truly smooth and damp snow feel. I opted more for the Blossom-made skis because I liked the flex (perfectly progressive) and snow feel better ... all the capability and performance with just a bit more "fun" factor in the response and snow feel. I realize that is highly subjective, but just another viewpoint. Can't go wrong with either ski!
hobbes

Postby jbotti » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:58 pm

I just came back (on Sunday) from three days of skiing at my home mountain in Montana. I skied the Blossom all over the mountain from hero groomers with super grippy Montana snow, to some leftover pow like chop, to some wind-buffed chop and chowder and bumps and some wind-blown groomers where it had blown down to the harder man made base. I continue to be amazed by this ski. It pretty much slays everything one can throw at it (had no ice or iced up bumps). Edge hold and stability is really in a class by itself and ease of use is right there with many of the great PMTS skis that HH and Diana have picked over the years. Max asked me at one point if I thought it was better suited for more advanced PMTS skiers and I guess my answer is probably yes. It is a different ski than the 2016-17 SS Speed (a cm wider underfoot with a wider TR, a traditional all-mountain ski versus a slalom carver) but I don't think it requires any more skill to drive than the SS Speed (let's be clear, for learning SS Speed is superior due to the skinnier waist (easier to tip) and tighter TR (quicker feedback)). Both skis have reasonably low PMTS bars to entry (and to enjoy) (and I think the original SS pre Kers was easier to ski than both of these) and both skis have very high ceilings and will perform at a very high level when driven with solid PMTS skills.

I have not been on a ski that I can recall that I was happy (and at times overjoyed) to ski all day for three days straight since I was in love with my IM78s. And the White Out is a much better ski than the IM78 ever was.

Vs the MX78 IMO its not that close. the Blossom will do everything the MX78 can do and do quite a few things that the MX78 can't.
jbotti

Postby mjjmjj » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:12 pm

Very much appreciate the feedback - that is quite an endorsement. Now all I have to do is get my hands on a pair!

One question concerning binding mount position on the Blossom. Many years ago on the recommendation of some PMTS folk and Peter Keelty I tried moving the bindings forward on my Head IM 72's and was surprised at how this changed the characteristic of the ski. As a result both pairs of skis I purchased since (MX78 and Head Rock N Roll) I purchased with bindings that were also easy to move fore/aft. Alas, I've never felt the need to move the bindings on either the MX78 or the Rock N Roll.

For the White Out I'd actually like to try the Knee binding. Problem is that the Knee binding is fixed (though I believe you can change the delta) so I wouldn't be able to adjust the binding position. The safer bet would be to throw a PRD 12 on the ski which would then allow me to experiment.

So my question, are you guys skiing the Blossom on the line? I am wondering how much of a risk (performance wise) I am taking by using the Knee binding at the recommended mount point? I realise that the best binding location depends on a variety of factors not the least the skiers own geometry and biomechanics. However, there seem to be a number of skis (such as the older Head skis) where many people were (consistently) recommending the binding be shifted relative to the manufacturers suggested mount point.
Last edited by mjjmjj on Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mjjmjj

Postby jbotti » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:10 pm

I can't speak to the knee binding. Haven't skied it and don't know that much about it. On mount point, I have been skiing the Blossoms right on the line. They ski great there. You never know til you move it whether there is a better spot but their line is not way back like the line on all stocklis. I would put PRDs on them but i wouldn't worry about a fixed mount on the line.
jbotti

Postby marsound » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:52 am

Nice review jbotti. Assuming you've skied the Peak 84, how do the Whiteouts compare?
marsound

Postby jbotti » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:34 am

Peak 84 is a nice ski. It carves reasonably tight arcs with its 16m TR in the 177. The tail is a little on the stiff side. Its a very nice all mountain ski which will ski lots of stuff really well. The blossom gives you more of a tight TR carver feel on piste and is pretty equal to the Peak 84 off piste. Edge hold and glued to snow feel is superior on the Blossom. Blossom will be better in bumps as well due to it being thinner with a tighter TR.
jbotti

Postby marsound » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:32 pm

Thanks, that's helpful.

I love my Peak 84s, but sometimes end up switching to my Icon TT's in the afternoon when everything is cut-up, and wishing for just a bit more underfoot in the Sierra crud. A waist width in the mid 70's seems like it would be perfect, but don't want to overlap too much with the Peaks.

Need to avoid my N+1 is the correct number of bikes problem when it comes to skis.
marsound

Postby Jjmdane » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:26 pm

Jbotti and I are on a mind meld regarding the Blossom White Outs. Spent 3 days last week instructing and coaching on both the Blossoms and the new version of the Head i speeds, both in a 177 with prd 14s set on the line( or as close as I could based on my bsl). Really like both skis, Heads a little quicker edge to edge,but the Blossoms have a really unique feel of being tethered to the snow, yet allowing you to make mini airplane turns any time you load and retract. You can go from super g and GS turns right into shortswing, like flicking a switch. The Heads do make a little crisper bpsts ,but being substantively narrower that is to be expected. Once you get in cut up, crud, sugar snow, and other assorted mank ,the Blossoms feel great. Both skis were tuned at .75 and 3. The Blossoms, when I first skied them had a factory tune and felt a bit "raily" (if there is such a word). I'm picking nits because they still skied fine, but I liked them better with my tune. With the middle mount the Blossoms felt very light and centered underfoot. Looking to get some good cut up tomorrow with the Blossoms at Cannon in NH. (Pretty pitiful to get excited about 4-6" of skied out snow but that's all we are allowed in northern NH. Not enough snow to go around)
Jjmdane

Postby DougD » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:58 am

Jjmdane wrote: (Pretty pitiful to get excited about 4-6" of skied out snow but that's all we are allowed in northern NH. Not enough snow to go around)

Come South to CT. Just finished clearing 22" from my driveway. Our 600-800vf "mountains" are the powder capital of the USA! :twisted:
DougD

Postby Jjmdane » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:54 pm

The spell has been broken, 10-20" for Sunday into Monday.
Jjmdane

Postby Max_501 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:39 pm

marsound wrote:I love my Peak 84s, but sometimes end up switching to my Icon TT's in the afternoon when everything is cut-up, and wishing for just a bit more underfoot in the Sierra crud. A waist width in the mid 70's seems like it would be perfect, but don't want to overlap too much with the Peaks.

IMO there is a lot of overlap between the 84 and Blossom.
Max_501

Postby marsound » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:33 pm

Max_501 wrote:
IMO there is a lot of overlap between the 84 and Blossom.

Good to know.

I probably won't buy a pair, since my 84's have lots of life left. Just tempted after jbotti's review and the fact that you can pick up a Hart Striker (same ski as the Blossom Whiteout) for $299.
marsound

PreviousNext

Return to Gear