ski tunes in the northeast

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

ski tunes in the northeast

Postby Doghouse » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:16 pm

Does anyone have recommendations for a shop to get high quality ski tunes in the northeast? I live in upstate NY.
Hope everyone is enjoying the new snow!
Thanks.
Rick
Doghouse

Re: ski tunes in the northeast

Postby Dan » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:02 pm

Sport Thoma in Lincoln NH
http://www.sportthoma.com
Dan

Postby Doghouse » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:48 pm

Thanks, Dan! A bit of a drive for me but if I find myself in NH, I'll be sure to look them up.
Doghouse

Postby Skizoo » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:04 pm

Totem Pole in Ludlow VT does really good tunes. They have a Montana and can do great radial tunes and pretty much any base structure
Skizoo

Postby wrpeterson » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:42 pm

Mike deSantis at http://www.skimd.com/ - Framingham, MA
wrpeterson

Postby Doghouse » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:43 pm

Thank you all for the suggestions! I've read good very good things about both Totem and SkiMD.
I'll report back after I get my skis tuned.
Rick
Doghouse

Postby B.Mulligan » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:59 am

You'd drive to Framingham from upstate by to get your skis tuned??? Where in upstate are you? Honestly, anyvshop with modern machinery and a knowledgeable operator with a steady hand can tune skis well
B.Mulligan

Postby Doghouse » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:10 am

Yes, I would. If I can fit it into my schedule, I will. Looks to be a little over 2hours from where I live.
I tuned skis for a high volume ski shop for 8 + years and we had the best equipment at the time (about 25 years ago). The demands of high volume and the desire for quick turnaround times can sometimes result in a lack of quality. Additionally, in many shops, you don't know who is doing the tuning. Many have to hire part time staff to get them through the busy part of the season.
I place a very high value on my time on the slopes and for my equipment. It is the reason that I am here on this forum, have had boot work done at HSS, a private lesson from Diana and plan to attend a camp in the future. There is no substitute for getting the very best in quality and customer service.
Doghouse

Postby Obrules15 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:19 pm

B.Mulligan wrote:You'd drive to Framingham from upstate by to get your skis tuned??? Where in upstate are you? Honestly, anyvshop with modern machinery and a knowledgeable operator with a steady hand can tune skis well

I'm going to disagree, I just had my skis messed up by a shop trying to do me a favor (I didn't ask for anything to be done they just threw it in after doing binding work. I'm not even sure what they did but skis are skiing weird and different from similar conditions last week.
Obrules15

Postby wrpeterson » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:22 pm

I had Mike tune my skis - .7* on the base and 3* on the edges (his recommended tune) and a nice stone grind and wax. He recommends "Ray's Way" waxing as well (crayoning the wax in then using a special cloth-covered tube to heat the wax and polish the base). I've been really happy with how things turned out - very easy to maintain.

Bill
wrpeterson

Postby Obrules15 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:47 pm

Recommendations for tunes in the midatlantic?
Obrules15

Postby Basil j » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:01 pm

wrpeterson wrote:I had Mike tune my skis - .7* on the base and 3* on the edges (his recommended tune) and a nice stone grind and wax. He recommends "Ray's Way" waxing as well (crayoning the wax in then using a special cloth-covered tube to heat the wax and polish the base). I've been really happy with how things turned out - very easy to maintain.

Bill
Mike Ski MD, does my daughter's race skis. .5 base and 3* on side. Having worked on the world cup circuit , he not only provides a perfect set up tune for new skis, he also looks at the type of bindings and ensures that they are set up for optimal performance as well.he also went over maintenance and waxing with me and got me off hot waxing and instead using a rub on method that is great and a wax/time saver. He is expensive$140.00 a tune for a new ski set up, but as long as you keep your bases clean, the maintenance is simple and the skis perform great all season as long as you keep up on the edge maintenance. Sporthoma in NH is also good and where most of my daughters team mates get their skis done.
Basil j

Postby chris719 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:05 pm

Just something to note: SkiMD will pull all plates and bindings off skis for grinding. Whether or not you think that's good or bad is up to you.
chris719

Postby dan.boisvert » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:47 pm

SkiMD does the best work I've found in the northeast; every bit of work I've had done there over the years came back without a single flaw I could find anywhere. Edgewise in Stowe used to be a pretty close #2, but they've closed. My understanding is that the Mt Mansfield Ski Club got the machines Edgewise used to have, and they're being operated by people Graham trained, so that's where I intend to take my next pair that needs a grind.
dan.boisvert

Postby Smackboy1 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:45 pm

Edgewise is back. Under new ownership. Their shipping tune service is very convenient.

https://edgewiseskiservice.com/ship-skis-for-service/
Skiing: falling down the mountain with style.
Smackboy1

Next

Return to Gear