Another which(?) ski post!

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Another which(?) ski post!

Postby apache67 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:55 am

Hi Folks,

I want to take my skiing endeavors to the next level by purchasing my first set of skis (and stepping out of the realm of rentals). I have grown weary of ski shops demo inventories being fat ski/all mountain ski heavy with little no carving centric skis. I have done some research and I am leaning towards these two skis based off my readings here and over at Epic:

2017 SS Speed
2017 Dynastar SZ 14

I consider myself to be an advanced intermediate skier who's very athletic. I am 6'1" tall and 181 lbs. I have had no formal PMTS instruction, but have studied PMTS through videos and books over the last couple of years. I have had a fitting and alignment done at Harald's shop. I prefer good piste skiing and have no interest in bumps.

As far as the two skis go which might be the better choice in chopped-up snow or steeper slopes (e.g. Peak 10 at Breck)? Binding-wise, what are some of the advantages/disadvantages between the two systems? (I know little about all the nuances of bindings)

Finally, not the easiest question to answer-what might be the better length of the SS? 170 or 177cm? I'd get the 174cm in the Dynastar. To the best of my memory, I don't think I have ever skied a ski longer than 173cm.

Thanks for the help!
G
apache67

Re: Another which(?) ski post!

Postby Ken » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:10 am

170 cm. i.Speed. The Head/Tyrolia bindings are good, as are all the brands. There are a few nits to be picked among any of them, but the Heads have been good to me. I like the bindings on a rail. I install them in 60 seconds. I experiment with the bindings moved one or two notches forward or back to see which position I like better. (I like the '15 i.Rally bindings set two notches forward for better tip bite, and the '15 i.Speed bindings one notch forward.) Moving both toe & heel the same distance forward or back does not change the release. And, when you pack for a flight, slip the bindings off the rail for more compact packing.

As skis are made longer in any ski line, they are also made stiffer. The ski needs to respond to the energy the skier puts into it. "advanced intermediate skier who's very athletic. I am 6'1" tall and 181 lbs" You aren't the highest energy skier on the mountain (and neither am I) so the stiffest ski in the line, the 177, is likely too stiff for you and will be more difficult to ski. I'm 6', 180#, good skier (thanks to the HH team), and I have good results with the next-to-longest ski in any line. the 170 is my every day ski.
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Postby apache67 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:53 pm

Thanks Ken! Helpful advice!

Cheers,
G
apache67

Postby HeluvaSkier » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:30 pm

apache67 wrote:Thanks Ken! Helpful advice!

Cheers,
G

Did you end up getting your demo in? Let us know what you choose! Cheers.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby apache67 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:22 pm

HeluvaSkier wrote:
apache67 wrote:Thanks Ken! Helpful advice!

Cheers,
G

Did you end up getting your demo in? Let us know what you choose! Cheers.

Hi G,

Was a bit of a disappointment. The Head factory demo only brought along the Titan and Rally SSs. On Friday I managed to slip in some skiing on the Titan in 170 & 177cm lengths (the Rally was out). Conditions were better for piste skiing compared to the next morning where it was snowing fairly hard and the light was very flat. I skied the Rally in these semi-powder conditions (177cm length). I liked it better than the Titan, though it was hard to make an objective comparison skiing the two different skis in different conditions. I skied the 2014/15 Titan at Breck last year for a full week (was the only SS I could find) and I definitely liked the 2017 better. That being said, I didn't advance the ball very much with trying to make a decision between the Speed and Magnum (the SSs that I am interested in).

Cheers,
G
apache67

Return to Gear