Head ss i speed 2017 version vs last year's

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Head ss i speed 2017 version vs last year's

Postby Jjmdane » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:01 am

What do people feel are the main differences between the two models. I know they incorporated graphene in the new model and I would love to know what benefits they thought they could gain. I have the 2015-2016 in a 177 and love it, but the bevels were off out of the box and I had to adjust them to make it work.
Jjmdane

Re: Head ss i speed 2017 version vs last year's

Postby jbotti » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:50 am

The turn radius is tighter in this year's model and HH says it has some more pop. It's also probably a little lighter from the graphene.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Jjmdane » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:38 pm

Head just sent me this years ss I speed in a 177 and I can see why Harold says it has more pop then the 2015 16 version. When I flex the two side-by-side this year's model is much stiffer than last years. The flex pattern seems to be pretty much the same but I was amazed at how much stiffer and how much more snapback the 2016 17 model had. I was surprised I could not feel a weight difference between the two but I would think the graphene one would be lighter.
Jjmdane

Postby jbotti » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:51 pm

Sounds good. I will say that the true test of a ski occurs on snow and there is only so much we can learn from hand flexing a ski. I have not skied the 16-17 version but I know it bends well and easily because of what both HH and Diana have told me. My guess is that on snow it won't ski much stiffer than last years model (although it may have good bit more rebound).

Hopefully everyone will have enough snow to ski soon. Then you can test your new skis.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby ToddW » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:37 pm

Jjmdane wrote:I was surprised I could not feel a weight difference between the two but I would think the graphene one would be lighter.

Some of the marketing type info on the web indicates that in the supershape line Head used the graphene weight savings to add more metal. (I have no personal knowledge if this is correct or just hype.)
ToddW

Postby Jjmdane » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:26 pm

It definitely feels like there is more metal in the ski.
Jjmdane

Postby Max_501 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:01 pm

Hand flexing a new ski and comparing to a previously used ski doesn't work well because skis begin to break down and soften as soon as they are used.
Max_501

Postby zuschauer » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:43 am

Have skied it (at SIA test last year)
It bends more consistently and has a better feeling of security at turn intitiation, IMO than the past generation of Supershape Speeds.
Not the same old same old. Too stiff? I doubt it for most people. My PMTS skills are not that well developed and I can feel the difference. Anyone truly working and adhering to the PMTS methodology will be well served by these.
zuschauer

Postby Jjmdane » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:20 pm

I completely agree that hand flexing a ski is a very rudimentary way to evaluate a ski but it is a starting point. When you compare the dimensions of the two versions you can see that Head made some substantive changes from the 2016 to the 2017. Can't wait to get them on snow to make a real comparison.
Jjmdane

Postby geoffda » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:23 pm

The 2017 version is torsionally stiffer and holds *much* better. Harald thinks it holds as well as the 2017 iSL, which is saying a great deal.
geoffda

Postby Icanski » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:47 am

I'm going to pick up my new iSpeed SS in 170 this week. Can't wait to try them, as this is my first set of new skis since the venerable original SS from 2006, or so.
I really wear them out, since the stingy Reps here don't give them away. Looking forward to trying them out.
If anyone's interested, I also have some Stockli Laser SC 178, and Stockli1 Snake BC 177 park/powder skis for sale. excellent condition, very low mileage.

Hoping to update my boots later this year, but won't trust anyone but the skunk works to align them....no one here in Canada can do it like they can. Makes for a very expensive investment, but makes all the difference in the world for skiing.
Icanski

Postby apache67 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:16 am

Icanski wrote:I'm going to pick up my new iSpeed SS in 170 this week. Can't wait to try them, as this is my first set of new skis since the venerable original SS from 2006, or so.
I really wear them out, since the stingy Reps here don't give them away. Looking forward to trying them out.
If anyone's interested, I also have some Stockli Laser SC 178, and Stockli1 Snake BC 177 park/powder skis for sale. excellent condition, very low mileage.

Hoping to update my boots later this year, but won't trust anyone but the skunk works to align them....no one here in Canada can do it like they can. Makes for a very expensive investment, but makes all the difference in the world for skiing.

Icanski,

The 2017 SS Speed is on my very short list for skis to purchase. I have a separate post asking some questions about SS Speed length, without any responses (so far). If you don't mind me asking, what is your weight, height, and personal assessment of your skiing? I am trying to decide between the 170cm and 177cm lengths.

Thanks!
G
apache67

Postby Jjmdane » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:54 pm

I will answer my own question as I had my own private demo at Cannon last week as I skied last years SS i speed (177) vs the graphene version (177). To avoid being burned at the,"you have no video " stake, ( which I agree with), I will refrain from commenting on my opinion as to the suitability of these skis for PMTS, and I will just compare them from my perspective. Clearly the graphene version is the higher performance model of the two but last years is still a great ski, in my opinion. This year's I speed feels more bonded to the snow and requires a little more energy to get to the tail ,but once you get there, the reward is greater. I'm picking nits here but it seems Head "dumbed up "the performance of the ski rather than dumbing it down as most ski companies do with successive models. The new version seems to require a little more speed and, or energy to make it work, and this a good thing. I love last years version in the bumps and haven't had the chance to try the graphene in the same conditions.
In my opinion, either version works, it just depends where your performance threshold is.
Jjmdane

Return to Gear