Found trove of Head X-Shape STX's (170&177cm)

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Found trove of Head X-Shape STX's (170&177cm)

Postby theorist » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:12 am

EDIT: I just ordered a second pair, to serve as a backup for the first (since, as I'd mentioned below, this particular type of construction — a high-performance narrow carver that's flexible enough for a light skier like me to use in powder, likely b/c of the absence of metal — is no longer made by Head). Unfortunately, one of the skis arrived with light corrosion on the edges (probably wasn't stored properly). This is likely just a problem for this pair (my first pair was fine), but I'll keep you posted on this and let you know if they can assure me this is not the case with the rest of their stock.

There's currently a trove of Head X-Shape STX’s w/PR11 bindings available at Sportisimo.com (https://www.sportisimo.com/head/x-shape ... -11/50955/), an authorized Head dealer in the Czech Republic (14 pairs @170 cm, 17 pairs @ 177 cm) (you can check stock by holding the up-arrow key next to the “quantity” box to see how high it goes). They're 285 Euros ($317 at the current exchange rate), including free shipping anywhere in Europe (they don't ship to the US, but there is a way to get them here, for an additional 126 Euros = $140, for a total of $457*). The downside for me is they have the PR11’s (7 mm delta) instead of the PRD12/14's (~4 mm delta), but if you own (or purchase) the PRD12/14's, they can be swapped in, since these STX's have the current PRD rail system. The one caveat I need to mention is that they’re a bit clueless about how to pack skis, but they seem to arrive OK in spite of that (and they skied great). They are an established business — they're probably the largest sporting goods retailer in the Czech Republic, with 60 B&M locations (that's why they have so many of these). *I got them to the US by having Sportisimo send them to a Mailboxes Etc. store in France, who then shipped them to me via FedEx International Economy (takes ~5 business days). If anyone in the US is interested, I've given instructions in my second post, below.

If the stock goes to zero, it’s worth trying back occasionally, since the stock can go back up based on customers at their B&M stores reserving them and then changing their minds.

According to Harald:
h.harb wrote:...the X-Shape is just as good [as the original/KERS Supershapes] and maybe the best ski for learning, tipping.
Jay (Skier Synergy) also really likes this ski for his learning skiers.

They're unique, in that they don't have the usual 2 metal sheets that are present in pretty much all the other PMTS-recommended carvers (original and KERS iSupershape, iSupershape Speed, Mya 7, and TT80/800). For a light skier like me (150#), this makes them versatile enough to work well in up to about a foot of powder (at the expense of some edge hold). That, plus their quickness, also makes them easier (for me) in moguls than the others I own (iSupershape KERS, Mya 7, TT80). Here's a mini-review I posted:

theorist wrote:BTW, regarding narrow off-piste skis: I find a narrow (<70 mm) carving ski works great in up to about a foot of powder (including heavy Sierra powder), if it's sufficiently quick (I like to ski steep tight spaces) and, most importantly, sufficiently bendable (powder requires greater bendability than groomers). And for me, at 150 lbs., that degree of bendability means they can't have metal sheets. Thus my (very quick and metal-free) 170 cm X-Shape STX's (68 mm) are my go-to all-mountain skis. [Indeed, I find they work better for me in powder than my 180 cm Rock 'n Rolls, which I thus no longer use.] I also have the iSuperShape KERS, Mya 7, TT80, and Stockli Laser SC, all in 170 cm; what they have in common are: (a) two sheets of metal; and (b) they're a struggle for me in powder….It's hard to find a high-performance carving ski that doesn't use metal. Their bendability and quickness also makes them the best (easiest) mogul ski I own (the Mya 7 comes in second). [According to Head, the only non-metal carving ski they currently make is the Super Joy, and I suspect it's not in the same league as the STX; plus, at 75 mm, it's wider than I like for a carving ski.]
Last edited by theorist on Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:45 am, edited 8 times in total.
theorist

Re: Found trove of Head X-Shape STX's (170&177cm)

Postby DougD » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:50 am

Great find. Too bad they don't have some in shorter lengths.
DougD

Postby milesb » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:05 am

Why would you want a shorter length? The 170 length is super nimble and can be unstable at high speeds until you get used to them-meaning always have them on at least a slight edge.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby Obrules15 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:35 am

Those of us who are female, 5'3", & 150# don't like skiing on 170cm skis.
Obrules15

Postby theorist » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:34 am

BTW, in case someone wants to have these shipped to the US, and I'm not around to respond to this thread, here's my contact in France; the 126 Euros he charges for FedEx shipment is much less than what FedEx/UPS/DHL quoted me, since he has access to a volume discount. So you just have Sportisimo ship the skis to Fred Chovet at the Mail Boxes Etc. store in Villeurbane, France (he's the store manager), and then he ships them to you. I'd contact Fred first to confirm his shipping address, and then order the skis:

Fred Chovet
Mail Boxes Etc., Villeurbane, France
mbe002 [at] mbefrance.fr [This goes directly to Fred; just put "want to ship skis to the US" in the subject line]
phone (including country access code from US): 011 33 472 04 04 60 [Fred is very friendly, and speaks English, but his coworkers don't, so if you're going to call it helps to speak enough French to ask for Fred.]

The somewhat tricky part is the Sportisimo website. Here are the steps:
1) Create an account on their site with your US address, but where it asks for country, put "France" (you need to enter a country, and they don't list US as an option; so long as everything else matches up with your US address, your credit card will work).
2) When ordering, check the box that says "Use a different delivery address", and there you enter the following:
Fred Chovet
Mail Boxes Etc.
72 COURS DE LA REPUBLIQUE
69100 VILLEURBANNE
France
phone:33472040460

I then selected the free UPS shipping (a better option than the default free GLS shipping)

3) Once you do this, you'll be directed towards a page that allows you to enter your credit card. If you exit without doing this, you'll get a follow-up email asking for your credit card. Your credit card may be denied because this is outside your normal purchase pattern; to avoid this, call your credit card company beforehand to pre-authorize the charge.

If you are at all unsure, do everything except the credit card step, and then email Sportisimo customer service (eshop [at] sportisimo.com) explaining what you're trying to do and ask them to confirm you've entered everything correctly; they speak English.
theorist

Postby Petter_F » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:44 pm

Hi, they are out of the 170s but seem to have 177s still in stock.

I am still a beginner PMTSer, but not beginner skier, how would the 177s be do you think, for learning PMTS? I am 6'1" and weigh 155lbs (68kg).

Cheers.
Petter_F

Postby theorist » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:10 pm

I can't advise you on the length (based on your weight alone I'd recommend the 170, but I don't know if your height is also a factor) (you could PM milesb, who skis the 170, and ask his height and weight; he's definitely bigger than me, but the 170 still works great for him). If the 170 is more suitable, I would recommend rechecking after few days, or emailing them directly and asking about stock, since I've noticed their stock goes up and down frequently (according to them, it's based on customers reserving skis and then not buying them). Also, I see you're in Sweden, but I'd still recommending asking them to inspect them before sending them, since while they will let you return them, they might (or might not) pay for return shipping even if the mistake is theirs.
theorist

Return to Gear