Dodge Boots

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Dodge Boots

Postby skijim13 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:01 am

A friend of mine asked this question since I have never tried them can someone please help me with the answer "I saw a picture of Harold harb skiing on the dodge carbon boot . Does Harold ski regularly on the dodge carbon boot at your camps ?
and what does Harold think of the dodge carbon boot ? , also have you tried the dodge carbon boot , if so what do you think of them ?
or do you know anyone else that has tried them ?

Jim
skijim13

Re: Dodge Boots

Postby jbotti » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:26 am

Harald skied the Dodge for about two seasons. He is now back in the Head Raptor 150 and also skiing the Dalbello DRS 150. The Dodge does some things amazingly well especially in the high C portion of the turn where its edge hold is other worldly. At the Apex of the turn it does not absorb force as well as plastic boots and on ice it will buck and chatter. Hard to use with any liner other than theirs and the ability to punch/grind and make other mods is more limited than plastic boots. Dodge went to a direct sale model and HSS no longer carries the boot.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby skijim13 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:35 am

Thanks so much for the information
skijim13

Postby BillVT » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:48 pm

jbotti wrote:Harald skied the Dodge for about two seasons. He is now back in the Head Raptor 150 and also skiing the Dalbello DRS 150. The Dodge does some things amazingly well especially in the high C portion of the turn where its edge hold is other worldly. At the Apex of the turn it does not absorb force as well as plastic boots and on ice it will buck and chatter. Hard to use with any liner other than theirs and the ability to punch/grind and make other mods is more limited than plastic boots. Dodge went to a direct sale model and HSS no longer carries the boot.

With all respect John, your comments about the Dodge Boot are correct for the OLD boot; but we haven't made that boot or liner for a number of years, and there are BIG differences.

Our new boots are much "milder" and our new liners a HUGE improvement over the ones you had. We urge you to try a NEW pair to get a current view.

For anyone considering a Dodge Boot a few things to keep in mind: Unless you're speaking to someone who bought a new pair of Dodge Boots, from Dodge, within the last year, you will be getting out-of-date opinions.

Try them for yourself and keep in mind that Dodge Ski Boots come with a money-back Satisfaction Guarantee, so if we can't make you happy, you can get your money back!
BillVT

Postby ToddW » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:30 pm

Bill,

Without giving away all your trade secrets, can you explain the nature of the recent improvements and how they overcome the outdated critique?

We tend to be an analytical bunch on this forum and want to understand things.
ToddW

Postby theorist » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:39 pm

1) I understand you have a new remote fitting system (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLXfZTHDTWg), which looks pretty cool. What's your first-round success rate? I.e., what percent are pleased with the initial fit they get directly from you, and thus don't need further shell modification?

2) Do the new boots absorb terrain shocks better than the old ones (I demoed a pair, 2nd gen. I think, and found the ride to be harsh).

3) To what extent have you improved ease of entry/exit, which was one of the big challenges (at least for me, with a high, rigid arch) with the older boots. Much harder to get on than my Dalbello Scorpions (which are considered quite challenging), partly because the plastic boots can be warmed prior to entry, and partly because of the inherent rigidity of the carbon fiber. This is the one area where the temperature-insensitivity of the carbon fiber can be a downside: while they don't get much harder to enter/exit when cold, they don't get much easier when warm.
theorist

Postby BillVT » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:39 am

ToddW wrote:Bill,

Without giving away all your trade secrets, can you explain the nature of the recent improvements and how they overcome the outdated critique?

We tend to be an analytical bunch on this forum and want to understand things.

theorist wrote:1) I understand you have a new remote fitting system (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLXfZTHDTWg), which looks pretty cool. What's your first-round success rate? I.e., what percent are pleased with the initial fit they get directly from you, and thus don't need further shell modification?

2) Do the new boots absorb terrain shocks better than the old ones (I demoed a pair, 2nd gen. I think, and found the ride to be harsh).

3) To what extent have you improved ease of entry/exit, which was one of the big challenges (at least for me, with a high, rigid arch) with the older boots. Much harder to get on than my Dalbello Scorpions (which are considered quite challenging), partly because the plastic boots can be warmed prior to entry, and partly because of the inherent rigidity of the carbon fiber. This is the one area where the temperature-insensitivity of the carbon fiber can be a downside: while they don't get much harder to enter/exit when cold, they don't get much easier when warm.

Hi Todd and theorist.

Sorry to take so long to respond, but here goes.

We have evolved the Dodge Boot both inside and out continually since its inception.

Biggest differences since Harald and others have skied on it include:
-revised shell geometry so, when flexed forward, the pressure maintains a consistent edge angle. The older models had a geometry that increased the edge angle which gave the aggressive feel and the harshness mentioned;
-different shell material that is (a) far more durable, (b) easier to enter/exit, (c) less aggressive, (d) easier to punch and not subject to cosmetic blemishes from punching;
- new liner this year that is thermoformable, hand-lasted. much easier to put boot on/off. warmer, drier. Available in 2 cuff volume for large calf/slender calf; 2 tongue volumes for calf and instep differences. We have a lot of current customers who have already upgraded to the new liner and really like its ease-of-entry.

New-this-year 3D Fitting System (App available from Apple Store and Google Play) is really proving to be great. You take 3 photos of each foot to create a 3D model, which we then use to match up the proper shell length, width and see where it needs to be punched or padded. We can even see things affecting fit that you cannot feel (like how the fat pad on your heel might prevent your foot from fully seating in the heel pocket but you can't feel it.) It's really improving our ability to get a precise fit. As we just launched the app, it's still a little early to tell definitively what the success rate is going to be, but early indications are very, very positive. And, even before we launched this new system, our "old" Remote Fitting System had a very good success rate.

I hope this helps.

Certainly feel free to contact me directly at Dodge Ski Boots with any questions.
BillVT

Return to Gear