Head Supershape Speed 2016

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Re: Head Supershape Speed 2016

Postby BoomerCO » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:56 pm

Hi,

Longtime lurker here. First, thanks to all of the regulars for their contributions to the forum over the past 10+ years, there's an incredible wealth of information here. Hope this server is being backed up.

njdiver85 wrote:Make sure you call and speak to that shop in Canada before ordering. I once tried to order some Head skis from them. They often don't have in stock what they show on ebay.

This. I saw this post and ordered a pair of the SS 163s from their Ebay listing last week and received a pair of 156s. While processing the exchange they discovered that their stash of 163s is in fact a stash of 156s. To their credit they've handled it graciously and offered to make me a killer deal on any of their other skis. Unfortunately I'm not seeing much in the way of a suitable replacement on their site. I'm not new to PMTS, but haven't been happy with my progress and am planning to take the book 1 page 1 approach this season, so looking for something relatively forgiving. Any thoughts on these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Dynastar-O ... SwPc9Ww6Q-

Title says "Omeglass Speed FLX", description says "Speed Ti". Is that the same ski? I'm having trouble deciphering their model names, and the 2016s have been scrubbed from their website. This is the only mention I found on the forum:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4681

JMD wrote:I believe the Dynastar Omeglass Ti Sl skis you own are the consumer (non-Fis) model. HH really liked next years model at the SIA demo.

Are these the precursors to one of the 2017 Speed Zones? Reasonable choice if it's the consumer model, or is still going to be too stiff?

Fallback plan is the 2017 Supershape Speed. Sounds like the safer choice, but saving $500 would be nice.

Edit: They also have the Rossi Hero Elite ST Ti available, but wow that's one ugly ski.

Thanks
BoomerCO

Postby jbotti » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:10 pm

The predecessor ski to the Dynastar Speedzone 12 and 14s were the Speed Course Ti skis. There may still be some on Ebay.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby BoomerCO » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:08 am

Thanks. To put my question more succinctly: I had been planning to buy the 2017 Supershape Speed until I saw the 2016 available for $500. Turns out my size isn't actually available, but they've offered me the Dynastar or Rossi at a TBD bargain price as a consolation. Are either of those worth considering as a learning ski, or will the 2017 Supershape be better for my development, enough to justify the extra $500+?
BoomerCO

Postby jbotti » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:01 pm

The only Dynastar ski that I can speak to is the Speedzone 12 and 14 because HH has skied them (I have not). I know nothing about the Rossi non FIS race line. No one wants to see you spend more than you need to but buying skis that impede your progress ends up being even more expensive (as you have to get a new pair that works). SS Speed is proven.
jbotti

Postby B.Mulligan » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:50 am

I have skied the recent omeglass line, it's a pretty stiff and powerful
Ski, and from what I've read in these forums, I can't imagine it'd be a good PMTS learning ski. same thing for the Rossi Hero short turn ti, I think it's the stiffest in its class, very demanding for a slalom ski for the masses.

Have you tried a blizzard src or rc ti? Some of the race coaches in our club love these as 'instruction skis' which I think means good for slower turn demonstrations.

I read great things about stockli laser sc, but that'd be a lot of money on a hunch
B.Mulligan

Postby zuschauer » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:14 pm

1 pair remaining of 2015/16 Head ISLr 170 cm, 12.1 radius 121- 66- 106

W/PR11 binding (bindings slide onto simple plate)

This is a softer version of the ISL w/o a race plate and is very reminiscent of the old pre kers super shapes (no chip on these) I skied these Sunday and found them better than the current Supershape ISpeeds ( @ 170 14.4 radius)

These are a European release ski that were shipped stateside due to the lack of snow in Europe.

I am selling them for $599 a pair (only have the 170 and cannot get any others) Sold with a PR11, but I can change out the binding or sell them without the binding if you desire, but the plates are premounted. Just look at a Head ISLr online to get a look at how they appear..... similar to a 2015/16ISL but no chip and Black/white on topcoat w/ a day glow yellow sidewall.

I have already sold a few of these to others PMTS afficianados and all really like them.

Have 2 more Pair of 15' -16 Supershape Kers, will do for $500 plus ship

Richard
zuschauer

Postby jbotti » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:19 pm

Does that mean that they still make the SS Kers in Europe?

Seems so ridiculous that they don't ship that ski over here,
jbotti

Postby Cleveland » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:19 pm

I purchased the Supershape Speed 170cm with Head/Tyrolia PRD 12 88mm bindings. I was concerned that the stated 88mm width was too wide given the SS.Speed’s 68mm underfoot. I called the store, asogear, to enquire if they could substitute a narrower brake on the binding. They said they had no other compatible brakes. Looking on the internet, I couldn’t find a compatible binding with a narrower brake anyplace, but a number of stores had the 88 mm binding. I suspect it’s a case of Tyrolia “rationalizing production” going forward.

The skis arrived a couple days ago. It only took a 15 minutes or so to figure out how to slide the bindings and brakes on the rail and adjust for my boot length. (No English, simply drawings). The brake arms don’t appear to be too wide. When extended into the snow, they may be a bit wider than normal, but once retracted up beside the boot, the break arms retract inward a bit. I held the ski next to the floor and figure that on hardpack I’d have to get my leg tilted to within about 10 degrees or so of the slope for the brake arm to touch the snow. I suspect that’ll be okay.

The $519.00 price seemed good and it looks like the deal has now sold out. Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and suggestions, particularly to you woomass75 for pointing out the offer.

Paul
Cleveland

Postby Vailsteve » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:54 pm

Re the Stockli SC mentioned above... Yes expensive but offers a ride that is just sublime. I ski that ski as well as others...the AX, the SL and the Y77. Plus the Head rev 80 pro and the Head RnR. (Yes, it is completely stupid the number of skis that I own...).

But the SC? Stable. And I mean stable at completely illegal resort speeds. A group of Vail instructors were having a "clinic" (read: we were just playing around) last season. Ended up on Berries -- a great blue/black run. I hit 45.3 mph (as measured on my iPhone Ski tracker app) without even trying. And I wasn't even the fastest in the group...but not the slowest either..thank you PMTS! ). Granted, Berries was groomed and the snow was really really good that day. But oh man was that a fun run!!

Anyway you cannot go wrong with the the head I speed. Proven, good value and a great PMTS learning ski. Buy them from HSS if you want to get the absolute best set up. But if you get a chance, try the Stockli''s. They really are pretty awesome.

Vailsteve.
Vailsteve

Postby NoCleverName » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:47 am

Speaking of the 2016-17 SS ... I'm getting conflicting messages about the out-of-the-box edge and base angles. Google hasn't turned up anything. Anyone know?
NoCleverName

Postby zuschauer » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:17 pm

John, unsure on the Euro SS. The one pair here is Euro spec islr (non kers isl w/ less metal as well) is nice training PMTS ski.

The new seasons SS is to me a better PMTS ski than the previous seasons as well. The new Dynastar... same deal, better for PMTS than the old Speed Course ti

Richard
zuschauer

Postby theorist » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:24 pm

zuschauer wrote:John, unsure on the Euro SS. The one pair here is Euro spec islr (non kers isl w/ less metal as well) is nice training PMTS ski.
Richard

Richard, I believe John was referring to this:
zuschauer wrote:Have 2 more Pair of 15' -16 Supershape Kers, will do for $500 plus ship

As '12-'13 was Head's last year of production of the Supershape KERS (no longer made for any market, Europe or otherwise), I assume the above was a typo, or you were using that as shorthand to refer to, e.g., the '15-'16 iSupershape Speed (which has KERS).
theorist

Postby zuschauer » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:00 pm

correct, my error 15-16 Supershape Speed
zuschauer

Previous

Return to Gear