Need to replace peak 84; tt80

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Need to replace peak 84; tt80

Postby Townicus » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:54 pm

I absolutely love my peak 84 and Icon tt80. 177 and 176 respectively. These 2 skis have been a game changer for me.
I ski Beaver Creek 50 days/yr. I also ski a collective 105 in a 191.
5'10" 190.
I need to replace both 84s and icon. What to get? I'm thinking monster 88 and ss speed. I'm certain the 177 monster is the ticket. On the fence between 170 or 177 ss speed. Thoughts?
I attached video so you can see how I ski. First video is on peak 84. Second video is on collective 105. Thanks!

https://youtu.be/0l6-sWmwSuU

https://youtu.be/nNkHayr-yHI
Townicus

Re: Need to replace peak 84; tt80

Postby Mac » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:01 pm

I have owned both, the new Monster 88 is very, very similar to the Peak 84, in my humble opinion. So much so that if you skied them back to back you would have a hard time telling the difference. Can't help you with the Ispeed, I have no experience with either length.
Mac

Postby jbotti » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:12 pm

SS Speed in the 170 will be as stable or more so than the TT 80 and will have a similar TR to the TT 80 176 (which I think is 14.3 vs 14 on the SS Speed).
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Basil j » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:30 am

If you are committed to head skis, I cant comment, but I did try out a couple of Dynastar skis last spring that I was really impressed with. I own a chrome 74 and it has become my go to ski here in the east.
I demoed the Speed zone 12 (15meter radius) and the Power track 84 & 89 and really enjoyed both of them on and off piste.The Speed zone is a groomer ski, the Power track 84 & 89 are all mountain skis. Dynastars are damp and I have found that people either really like them or can't stand them. For where I ski, anything wider than an 84 would be senseless.
Everyone is making pretty good skis right now, it all depends on how they feel under foot for you on snow feel I guess. Good luck.
Basil j

Postby Townicus » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:54 pm

Thanks for the replies. Not committed to Head whatsoever. Is there however a constructive, comprehensive list of current skis that are PMTS friendly? I was under the impression the ss speed was the go to ski? It appears all manufacturers are making great skis these days. I just really, really like the tt80 and peak 84. I've even considered slalom skis but don't have the experience to know how well they respond to pmts. Thoughts?
Townicus

Postby jbotti » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:18 pm

The "approved list" for lack of a better word includes the SS Speed, last years and earlier versions of the ISL non RD, Dynastar Speedzone 12 and 14 and a variety of skis that are no longer in production but can occasionally still be found. I have not skied the Dynastars so I can't comment but personally I know what I am getting with a head ski, how it will preform and how it will feel.

BTW, while I like the new Monster 88 (and I own a pair) I am not sure if it falls into the category of what HSS looks for in the skis they carry and encourage people to ski on. This would be an ease of use for a huge array of technical abilities (from low to high) and performance that will satisfy those at the highest end of the technique curve. This is an incredibly high and difficult standard for skis to meet hence the reason why the list is always so short.

Having said that if you love your Peak 84s you will likely enjoy the new 88s.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Max_501 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:08 pm

Basil j wrote:If you are committed to head skis, I cant comment, but I did try out a couple of Dynastar skis last spring that I was really impressed with. I own a chrome 74 and it has become my go to ski here in the east.
I demoed the Speed zone 12 (15meter radius) and the Power track 84 & 89 and really enjoyed both of them on and off piste.The Speed zone is a groomer ski, the Power track 84 & 89 are all mountain skis. Dynastars are damp and I have found that people either really like them or can't stand them. For where I ski, anything wider than an 84 would be senseless.
Everyone is making pretty good skis right now, it all depends on how they feel under foot for you on snow feel I guess. Good luck.

Do you have video on these skis? If not how did you confirm your impressions of the skis?
Max_501

Postby Vailsteve » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:01 pm

Ditto jbotti on the head monster 88. A great all mountain ski for the west. Great in bumps, crud, powder and they can RIP groomers. I usually ski on Stockli's ( the SL, SC, AX or the Y77), but for the back bowls at Vail, the Monsters are SOOO easy and just fun fun fun to ski. Better than the the Head Rev 80's Harald put me on three years ago.

My wife skis the Head isl's that Diana put her on last season and she loves them...but she is a better skier than me....

Vailsteve
Vailsteve

Postby Max_501 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:29 am

While I like the 88 and would be more than happy skiing it on pow/crud day, I don't consider it to be great in bumps where its width causes it to be sluggish edge to edge.
Max_501

Postby Basil j » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:36 pm

Max_501 wrote:
Basil j wrote:If you are committed to head skis, I cant comment, but I did try out a couple of Dynastar skis last spring that I was really impressed with. I own a chrome 74 and it has become my go to ski here in the east.
I demoed the Speed zone 12 (15meter radius) and the Power track 84 & 89 and really enjoyed both of them on and off piste.The Speed zone is a groomer ski, the Power track 84 & 89 are all mountain skis. Dynastars' are damp and I have found that people either really like them or can't stand them. For where I ski, anything wider than an 84 would be senseless.

Do you have video on these skis? If not how did you confirm your impressions of the skis?

Are you asking if I had myself video taped when I demoed these skis? That would be no.
I base my own impressions on how they responded when I tried them out. It was late season, so it was quite firm in the am, and softened up later in the day.I found them stable, responsive, with good edge hold at slow and higher speeds that responded well to lateral tipping movements in the conditions I skied them in. I don't male any claims on being a PMTS expert, rather an enthusiastic student of the system that happens to enjoy skiing. I have a TT80 in a 175cm that I like very much, so I feel I can make an honest evaluation in regards to a comparison with another model I am very familiar with.
Basil j

Postby Max_501 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:58 pm

Basil j wrote:I base my own impressions on how they responded when I tried them out.

My suggestion is to get video and confirm that they are rewarding PMTS movements. I've seen many skiers rave about a ski that they feel is great even though the ski isn't performing as stated.
Max_501

Postby Vailsteve » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:11 pm

Cannot disagree with Max 501' s comment on the monster 88 being a little wide for quick edge to edge movements. They are; but they sure ski nicely!

But I also own a pair of the Head rock and roll purchased from HSS ... which are 94mm under foot. I ski this maybe 10 days during the season -- more as a "training" ski than a powder ski. My rational is that they REALLY force you to focus on foot tipping. Since we all know that one of the keys to practicing PMTS is to exagerate the movements, I figure that if I can tip a 94 mm ski, I can tip a 66 or 72mm ski like my Stockli's

One of my favorite videos of all time is Harald free skiing on a pair of the Rock and rolls..his arcs and tipping are pure poetry in motion. I constantly try to emulate that level of tipping.

But, the most important comment --ABasin should open in 5 or 6 weeks!!!!!

Vailsteve.
Vailsteve

Postby Basil j » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:52 am

Max_501 wrote:

would this be you demoing a new Fisher? If yes, how did you like it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNu7OpBpoB0
Basil j

Postby Max_501 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:57 am

Basil j wrote:would this be you demoing a new Fisher? If yes, how did you like it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNu7OpBpoB0

No.
Max_501

Postby Basil j » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:15 am

Okay. There's another Max out there :)
Basil j

Next

Return to Gear