Ski Co Catalogues

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Ski Co Catalogues

Postby jbotti » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:41 pm

Realskiers has posted links to all of the 2016-17 catalogs. I find this infinitely more useful than reviews by skiers that may be skiing in a fashion very different from PMTS. In the Head catalog you can see the specs on the new and improved SS Speed with a 14m TR (tighter this year) in the 170cm length. Have not skied it but skied the previous version and from what HH and Diana say this one is better. Looks like a winner to me especially for those that miss the TT 80s. Dynastar catalog has the Speedzone 14 and 12.

Head catalog in boots is giving making some basic data like ramp angle forward lean and last width in several sizes much more easily accessible.

More than anything it is the first real sniff of winter and skiing so which is always fun!

www.realskiers.com
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Re: Ski Co Catalogues

Postby NoCleverName » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:17 pm

jbotti wrote: In the Head catalog you can see the specs on the new and improved SS Speed with a 14m TR (tighter this year) in the 170cm length. Have not skied it but skied the previous version and from what HH and Diana say this one is better. Looks like a winner to me especially for those that miss the TT 80s.
http://www.realskiers.com

Even better, I'm looking at the 2017 SS i.speed 170 in my back room right now! And a lovely sight it is! It is in fact replacing a TT800. Along side it the much-maligned Titan ... which rewards a skier like myself who is at least 60lb heavier than HH.
NoCleverName

Postby Max_501 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:13 pm

NoCleverName wrote:Along side it the much-maligned Titan ... which rewards a skier like myself who is at least 60lb heavier than HH.

We've covered this before and as explained in the past the Titan review has nothing to do with HH's weight. Look, we all know that HH can put his hip on the snow which generates something like 3G to 3.5G. Now, 150 x 3 = 450 and 150 x 3.5 = 525. Plenty to bend any ski on the market that I can think of. Its all about ski construction and how it responds to PMTS movements.

For a refresher read this page from the top down.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4888&start=45
Max_501

Postby NoCleverName » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:31 pm

Guess what? I ski it just fine. Of course, I may be using the "NoCleverName" movements rather than PMTS ...

As far as construction ... they are obviously more like the i.speed than they are different (look at the catalog). Yes, they are easier to bend than the i.speed. But the basic engineering is the same. The ski is meant for undifferentiated junk snow ... not groomed ... and it is very good at that. Not a race ski.

If you say it doesn't respond to PMTS movements and yet skis well in bad conditions ... what is it responding to? PSIA movements? Is there a crack in PMTS after all? PMTS is only good if you have certain skis?

I have done very well with the skis and boots HH has sold me. So his opinion matters to me. In the past I have taken the narrow skis is to most everything my skill level permits. But, as I'm somewhat older than HH and a lot older than you, now I think I need a bit more of an edge when getting into the junk nowadays. So the Titan is a member of a family I understand, and it gives me the edge.

If the ski isn't appropriate to "learning" PMTS ... fine ... sometimes I don't want to learn. I just want to ski.
NoCleverName

Postby Max_501 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:51 pm

NoCleverName wrote:Guess what? I ski it just fine. Of course, I may be using the "NoCleverName" movements rather than PMTS ...

As far as construction ... they are obviously more like the i.speed than they are different (look at the catalog). Yes, they are easier to bend than the i.speed. But the basic engineering is the same. The ski is meant for undifferentiated junk snow ... not groomed ... and it is very good at that. Not a race ski.

If you say it doesn't respond to PMTS movements and yet skis well in bad conditions ... what is it responding to? PSIA movements? Is there a crack in PMTS after all? PMTS is only good if you have certain skis?

I have done very well with the skis and boots HH has sold me. So his opinion matters to me. In the past I have taken the narrow skis is to most everything my skill level permits. But, as I'm somewhat older than HH and a lot older than you, now I think I need a bit more of an edge when getting into the junk nowadays. So the Titan is a member of a family I understand, and it gives me the edge.

If the ski isn't appropriate to "learning" PMTS ... fine ... sometimes I don't want to learn. I just want to ski.

Your questions and comments are addressed in this thread, viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4888&start=45

Edit - please consider that all ski recommendations on this site should be for skis that reward PMTS movements. From a PMTS point of view, if the Titan was a great ski for crud, heavy pow, or other difficult off piste conditions it would be rated as such. Instead HH and coaches/experts here have suggested other skis for those conditions.

NoCleverName wrote:Of course, I may be using the "NoCleverName" movements rather than PMTS ...

I'd urge you to get video and study your movements. Any time we jump onto a ski or into conditions that force us into non-PMTS movements we are taking a step backwards in PMTS development. And sometimes it is 3 large steps all at once!
Max_501

Return to Gear