Head Tyrolia CP13 / SLR13 plate

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Head Tyrolia CP13 / SLR13 plate

Postby chris719 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:57 am

These are the 13mm plates used with the Freeflex bindings. I think the newest version on the iSL is called Speedflex Plate 13.

Anyway, a few questions:

1. Does anyone know how many times you can use the same set of holes on the composite plate (say if switching between mounting points or different BSLs)? Maybe if tapped beforehand they will last longer?
2. Do these 13mm plates add much stiffness compared to a Powerrail setup? Technical manual seems to indicate they are not very stiff but I'm curious.
3. Would you prefer a Freeflex Pro + plate setup over the Powerrail + PRD binding for any reason?

Thanks!
chris719

Re: Head Tyrolia CP13 / SLR13 plate

Postby jbotti » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:03 pm

chris719 wrote:These are the 13mm plates used with the Freeflex bindings. I think the newest version on the iSL is called Speedflex Plate 13.

Anyway, a few questions:

1. Does anyone know how many times you can use the same set of holes on the composite plate (say if switching between mounting points or different BSLs)? Maybe if tapped beforehand they will last longer?
2. Do these 13mm plates add much stiffness compared to a Powerrail setup? Technical manual seems to indicate they are not very stiff but I'm curious.
3. Would you prefer a Freeflex Pro + plate setup over the Powerrail + PRD binding for any reason?

Thanks!

1. As long as you don't strip the screws and holes you can use and re-use as many times as you like. Be careful they strip quite easily.
2. Yes they will add some more stiffness versus the PRD set up
3.It depends on which ski. In general off piste skis are better less stiff. On piste skis are often better with a plate but often less versatile (too stiff for bumps and other off piste variable terrain). It also depends on the ski e.g. The ISL with a plate still has enough flex to ski off piste and bumps well. The Elan SLX which is stiffer would be much less fun in bumps with a plate (instead of the PRD setup it usually comes with.)
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby chris719 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:22 pm

Thanks for the info, the skis are Stockli Laser SC. I'm hoping the plate will be fine since it's not really a race plate and Head used it on a bunch of non-race skis.
chris719

Postby John B » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:48 pm

The Tyrolia CP13 plate works well on the laser SC. I have a pair with this setup and it is a good neutral plate as far as keeping the intended flex pattern of this ski. I am a big fan of Stocklis, I have the Laser AX 183, GS 185, SL 170 and SC 177. The AX and SL have Marker Piston plates and bindings. They are noticeably stiffer and damper feeling. The GS and SC have the Tyrolia set up. I am very pleased with my choices, BTW I am 6' 4" and heavy. Your results my vary. If you haven't skied Stockli, you are in for a treat!
John B

Postby chris719 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:25 pm

I haven't skied Stockli before, but I came across a deal I couldn't pass up on the 170 so I bought it without a demo. My main concern is that it's going to be too much ski for me at my skill level, but I guess we'll find out. :)

How do you like the SC? Is it the 72mm or the older 63mm waist model? I was torn between that and the CX (newer dimensions 14.1m @ 170) but decided to go with the SC just because I already have a ski with a SL-ish sidecut.
chris719

Postby CO_Steve » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:57 pm

I've skied the SL, SC (both old and new), CX and the AX, all around 170.
My favorite by far is the SL (non-FIS). Good pmts ski. More ski than a Supershape non-KERS.
The old SC was a bit longer radius for my tastes. The newer SC was ok, but I was looking for something else when I bought it so it went to someone else.
CX was ok, older model. Didn't wow me.
Really wanted to like the AX. Didn't.
CO_Steve

Postby jbotti » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:39 am

Most important thing to know about Stockli skis is that the mount line is way back. Many recommend that you ski them 2-3cm forward from the Stockli line. I have the Laser Sx and it dos not ski right until 3cm forward of the line.
jbotti

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:48 am

In the interest of being able to adjust the mounting point, the Powerrail setup makes more sense. The CP/SLR 13 plates have only 2cm of toe piece movement options on most versions I have seen. This can be a major issue for very large or very small boot sizes, or for a skier who may prefer a mounting point different from that recommended by the manufacturer. In the case of Stockil and Head, many PMTS skiers find it necessary to move forward on the ski considerably.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby Max_501 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:08 am

The SC is a lot of ski that requires all of the Essentials to get it to perform. After spending a few runs on it try to get some video for personal MA. Look to be sure you aren't using it as a park and ride tool.
Max_501

Postby jbotti » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:23 am

Have to echo Max's comment. I have skied the SC and I own the Laser SX. We have both skied these skis a bunch of times,. The Stockli edge hold is unreal and they have the most glued to the snow feel of any ski made. But the flex pattern always seems to leave something to be desired. Truly bending the ski into a much tighter arc requires a reasonable level of skill and precision and at then end of the day these are amazingly well made skis with an amazing feel that are not PMTS enabling skis (meaning they don't make proper movements easier but they will reward proper movements). If you watched Harald or Diana or Heluva ski these on hard groomed snow you would see skis that reward high level movements and all of them would come away enjoying the ride. But for most on this forum that are trying to learn and perfect PMTS movements I am not sure this is the best ski (although it clearly isn't close to the worst). When I look at my quiver in the morning and I decide which ski to grab to arc some turns and do some drills, there is a reason that it's always the ISLs or TT80s that come out to play instead of the Laser SXs.
jbotti

Postby chris719 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:37 am

Thanks for the feedback. I still have a Fischer RX8 13m @ 165 that I will continue to use as well which is pretty forgiving.

The thoughts on mount point may make me reconsider the Powerrail or Vist (TT plate - no added stiffness). I like the Freeflex though because you can shim them to dial in fore/aft. The Powerrail bindings all have a lot of ramp and you can't shim them safely I believe. PRD bindings 2014-2015 have 5.5mm of ramp while PRX are 7.5. For 2015-2016 PRD are 4.5mm but PRX has 9.5mm!

BTW, does Powerrail have "slop" like Railflex2? It's not really a performance concern but it's always bugged me a little bit.
chris719

Postby jbotti » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:31 pm

PRD 12s and PRD 14s are very good bindings. I put them on almost everything because of the ease to move the mount point. They ski like a fixed mount binding with no noticeable "slop". If you are going to play around with your SCs and find the right mount point you will be much better off with PRDs than a FF14 with a plate.
jbotti

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:07 pm

I'll second that there's no slop in the binding. I've skied them aggressively on a few skis and they hold the boot confidently.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby chris719 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:50 pm

There is an optional "dampener" part number. Does anyone know if those come mounted stock from Head, for example, or is it just something to ignore?
chris719

Postby theorist » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:13 pm

chris719 wrote:PRD bindings 2014-2015 have 5.5mm of ramp...For 2015-2016 PRD are 4.5mm.

I don't believe they changed the delta of the PRD's. I think they've always been ~4 mm (that's what I measured for my 13-14 models), and they finally corrected the error in the tech manual. And Head USA says the bindings haven't changed.
theorist

Next

Return to Gear