Elan rip stick anyone ski these?

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Re: Elan rip stick anyone ski these?

Postby Mac » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:39 pm

Spent the day on the hill demoing some of the 2016 stuff today. Unfortunately, I was not able to get my hands on a Rally in my size. The Rally and Titan were two of the more popular skis of the demo, they were unavailable most of the day. I'm going to post a link to Dawgcatching's review of the Rally/Titan. As far as I'm concerned, he totally nailed it on both of them. There's nothing I would change or add to his reviews, so I'm not going to bother trying. https://www.dawgcatching.com/blog/ski/2 ... y-vs-titan
Had a chance to try the new Head Monster 88. Conditions were warm and Spring like today, far different than the bitterly cold weather we've had this winter. So it was definitely spring skiing, and ideal conditions for testing some all mountain skis. The 88's were one of the two best skis I tried today. Really not much to dislike. Easy transitions, easy to control speed, fairly stout, but not so much that it bounced you around. Just an enjoyable ski. Also liked the Fischer Motive 86, similar the Monster 88, very stable in crud, although I skied the Fischer in a 182, while the 88's were a 177.
Tried the Blizzard X8, which is next year's version of the 2015 Blizzard Power 810. 81 waist, competes in the same category as the Head Titan. Too stiff for the conditions, felt very much like a Volkl, wouldn't want to ski them all day in soft snow. Wanted to lock into one turn shape. Probably a much better hard snow ski, but the Titan was the clear winner in that comparison.
Mac

Postby jbotti » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:50 pm

I skied the 2016 Elan Riptsick today in the 176 length. Its a very nice ski. Conditions were not favorable for testing any skis as we have had very warm conditions and other than during the first two hours the snow is breaking or peeling away when you lay a ski on edge at any reasonable angle. I liked the ripstick a lot better than the one I was using. I would say most of this has to do with the tune and the newness of the 2016 as it had only been skied a few days (whereas the 2015 I have is quite skied). Off piste it is was pretty nice and was fine for the snow we had which at best was not too hard and reasonably chalky. I also skied the 2016 Waveflex 16 (176) which I did not like as well as the Ripstick. By far the ski that was the best today by a wide margin was the Elan SLX (170). I still have trouble finding a time that I would prefer skiing the Ripstick over other skis that I own (that many PMTS skiers also own), like the SLX, the Peak 84, the Head RNR etc (yes different skis but think quiver). I also think the TR is too wide for those just learning PMTS. It will bend and rock some pretty good arcs but it takes skill and precision.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Max_501 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:49 pm

jbotti wrote:I still have trouble finding a time that I would prefer skiing the Ripstick over other skis that I own (that many PMTS skiers also own), like the SLX, the Peak 84, the Head RNR etc (yes different skis but think quiver). I also think the TR is too wide for those just learning PMTS.

Agreed on all accounts.

jbotti wrote:It will bend and rock some pretty good arcs but it takes skill and precision.

...AND speed!
Max_501

Postby Max_501 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:13 am

Mac wrote:Spent the day on the hill demoing some of the 2016 stuff today. Unfortunately, I was not able to get my hands on a Rally in my size. The Rally and Titan were two of the more popular skis of the demo, they were unavailable most of the day. I'm going to post a link to Dawgcatching's review of the Rally/Titan. As far as I'm concerned, he totally nailed it on both of them. There's nothing I would change or add to his reviews, so I'm not going to bother trying.

As a reminder the gear forum is to discuss gear that rewards PMTS movements and helps PMTS students develop into expert skiers. Everything a PMTS skier needs to know about the Titan has been covered in the past by Harald.

Harald's review of the Titan
Max_501

Postby speedcontrol » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:24 pm

I also see Harald Harb mentions the ''Rally'' in this same thread saying that it is a '' no where ski , not as good as the Magnum ......or the Rev 80...." so may be not the perfect choice for an all mountain ski despite good reviews elswhere .
speedcontrol

Postby Basil j » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:57 am

Pulled the trigger on the Chrome 74 and couldn't be happier. Excellent edge hold, good pop and responds very to subtle movements. I warmed up with a bunch of 1 footed , then 2 footed releases, moved to full turns and found the the ski to be very fun. I went with a 178cm and found it to perform better at small and medium radius turns and probably could have gone with the 182cm, but I spend most of my time making smaller arcs so this fits the bill. A steal at ASOgear right now. What I really liked is that it is nowhere as damp or muted as many Dynastar's I have owned in the past. This is a very nice upgrade to my old speed course's.
Basil j

Previous

Return to Gear