Lange boots alright to start?

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Lange boots alright to start?

Postby Eiszapfen » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:52 am

Hello,

just before I came across Haralds books about PMTS last year I bought myself new boots. I took the lange xt100 (flex and last are 100, Season 13/14) because my feet felt great in them, as they fit very narrow but don't squeeze anything .Of course, if I had read the books before I would have gone for other boots. As I'm starting with the drills this season, I'm wondering if it is possible to make progress on this boot.
I don't know how Lange's flex is compared to Head for example. I read some threads about flex and 100 seems a bit low now to me. I'm 180 cm and 70 kg and an intermediate skier. On Lange's website I read that they reduced the ramp angle to 4° degrees, which is a step in the right direction, isn't it?
So if anyone has some experience with Lange or this boot, I would appreciate to hear what you think.

Thanks!
Eiszapfen

Re: Lange boots alright to start?

Postby DougD » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:31 pm

Hi,

I ski in Langes also (RT130). Just 3 weeks ago I was in the HSS shop. Diana checked my fit, stance, footbeds and alignment. These boots are fine for PMTS, just needed a slight cant on one leg. Talked with Harald and he's actually thinking about adding some Lange models to his lineup. Lange has changed alot in the last few years and some models are quite suitable for PMTS. Don't assume that yours aren't (or are) unless a PMTS coach says so.

That said, a 100 flex is very prabably too soft for you. I only weigh 130lb/59kg and I dont need or want anything softer than my (nominal) 130s. A soft boot does not transfer tipping and other foot movements to the ski efficiently. It may impair your progress somewhat. I'd defer to PMTS coaches as to how much.
DougD

Postby speedcontrol » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:28 pm

Hello ,
It may be relevant to have a look at the latest ''quick ski and boot world cup evaluation'' from Harald Harb at the ''Best year for men's WC SL ever?'' - tread (Race section of the forum) -- the last comment of the tread - interesting comments from Harald Harb concerning Lange, Head, Atomic, etc.
speedcontrol

Postby Eiszapfen » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:41 pm

I just read the thread. Lange's are women boots... that's great to hear. Now I have to buy the Mya 7 instead of iss speed next season :D
But it's true, a lot of women participating in today's WC GS were on Lange, whereas most men are using Head.
I guess it is not possible to make a boot stiffer. Maybe it's still enough for doing the drills, as they mostly are done at slow speed?
Eiszapfen

Postby speedcontrol » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:13 pm

May be he talks about the 'world cup' situation only.For a recreational skiing your Langes must be ok. In the future however you may wish consider some stiffer flex - 130 or 140 Lange RS could be an option . Combined with a MYA 7 (as you mention) -- not bad at all !
speedcontrol

Postby Eiszapfen » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:19 am

Well, I will just make it work. First, I have to get new skis. I'm still skiing on rossignol 9s, if somebody knows them :)
I'm wondering if it is possible to get boots at the Camp at Hintertux and then get them aligned straight away?
Eiszapfen

Postby DougD » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:04 pm

I'd contact HHS directly.
DougD

Postby marsound » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:53 pm

DougD wrote:
I ski in Langes also (RT130). Just 3 weeks ago I was in the HSS shop. Diana checked my fit, stance, footbeds and alignment. These boots are fine for PMTS, just needed a slight cant on one leg...

DougD,

Do you mean the RX130 (not "RT")? If it is the RX, how did HSS handle canting with the rubber traction plates on the boot sole?
marsound

Postby DougD » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:02 am

Marsound,

Sorry for the typo. Yes, I meant RX (RT doesn't exist, unless Lange built me a bespoke model, lol).

HSS removed the rubber walking inserts, ground away the shell, installed the cants, then reinstalled the walking inserts beneath them. No effect on the inserts, and they're still replaceable when needed. Top shelf work.
DougD

Postby ToddW » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:05 am

Eiszapfen wrote:Well, I will just make it work. First, I have to get new skis. I'm still skiing on rossignol 9s, if somebody knows them :)
I'm wondering if it is possible to get boots at the Camp at Hintertux and then get them aligned straight away?

Eiszapfen,

Are you attending Hintertux camp this season?

On average, one or two people get boots each year at the Tux camp. It's a rushed affair selecting from whatever local shops have in stock. The coaches have limited equipment and time to do bootfitting (have to fly equipment in or drive it from the Portes Du Ski home base). They will do basic canting and footbeds. A better option would be to contact Jasper at PDS and set up a bootfitting appointment in the Netherlands. Since they have a an indoor carpet slope, he works year round.
ToddW

Return to Gear